Need Some Help/Advice for 1972 620 Pickup

martjoe

Hello Everyone:

I have a 1972 Datsun 620 pickup that I purchased new in 1972. I would like to change the distributor from points to electronic. At the same time I would like to install an upgraded carburetor. Any Suggestions would be appreciated on the best route for each.

Thanks

Joe

• Like 2
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Best EI (electronic ignitions) are the stock Nissan '79 or '80 units for an L4 cylinder. BE SURE to get the bottom pedestal that bolts it to the timing cover with it and also the matching coil. The coil is important for getting the higher output spark and your points coil is no good for this. There are cheap 'knock offs' from China but I would advise getting a good used one. Vehicles that came with this style, known as a 'matchbox' for the small black module mounted on the side, are....

'79 620

'79 A10 (HL510)

'80-'81 A10 (HL510) with Z20S engine if it has four and not eight spark plugs.

'79 S10 (200sx)

'80 S10 (200sx) with Z20E engine if it has four and not eight spark plugs.

'80 720 truck.

• Like 3

Don’t discount the remote ignitor distributor, they function the same as a matchbox and can be ran on a gm hei ignition module. You’ll still need to grab the pedestal and an ei coil, stock Datsun coils work best. I’ve been seeing these used more often as matchbox supplies dwindle. I’ve been running the remote unit for years, ei is so much better than points.

• Like 2

Hello Again

Thank you for the great information! It looks like you can't reply to individual responses? It does have the dual points. One thing that's odd and maybe you can answer another question. Did Datsun change body styles mid year between 1972 and 1973? I have always thought it was a 1973 until I actually read the registration and it said 72"  When you look at photos of different trucks online our truck looks more  like a 1973 than a 1972! I didn't see a place to post a photo along with these questions. My wife and I purchased the truck in November of 1972 just prior to our wedding in December. I really appreciate the information on the ignition system and the carburetor.  Our son works on cars all the time but never seems to have the time to help old dad out :yawn:  

Thanks

Joe

• Like 1

Hello Again

Thank you for the great information! It looks like you can't reply to individual responses? It does have the dual points. One thing that's odd and maybe you can answer another question. Did Datsun change body styles mid year between 1972 and 1973? I have always thought it was a 1973 until I actually read the registration and it said 72"  When you look at photos of different trucks online our truck looks more  like a 1973 than a 1972! I didn't see a place to post a photo along with these questions. My wife and I purchased the truck in November of 1972 just prior to our wedding in December. I really appreciate the information on the ignition system and the carburetor.  Our son works on cars all the time but never seems to have the time to help old dad out :yawn:  

Thanks

Joe

Over on the lower right is the Quote button. If you use it you can edit out a long post and highlight what to want to reply to. Then jump out of that box and put your reply under it like I just did.

You can also click on the user name you want to talk to and his profile page shows up. Select Send Me  A Message and you can have a private conversation.

The Model year vs. the production year...

The previous truck, the 521, ended production some time in early '72. The earliest 620 was made in or around March of '72 but is included with the '73 model year which started in Sept of '72. Confused yet???  Well the '73 model year ran until September of '73, the '74 model year October '73 to August '74, the '75 model year Sept. '74 to July '75 where it stabilized with July usually being the beginning of the next model year. If ordering parts from Nissan always use the production date on the driver's door jam 

• Like 1

yes 72 was both 521 and 620 truck 

petronix wont work with the dual point distributor 

i have been running petronix since 2011 and it works great if you can find a single point distributor 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello datzenmike

There are a number of EI on ebay. They say they fit a L16 engine. Are those what you are referring to? Most of them say new with no coil in the photo or description,  What is the best source for a complete setup that you can rely on? Thank you Joe

Best EI (electronic ignitions) are the stock Nissan '79 or '80 units for an L4 cylinder. BE SURE to get the bottom pedestal that bolts it to the timing cover with it and also the matching coil. The coil is important for getting the higher output spark and your points coil is no good for this. There are cheap 'knock offs' from China but I would advise getting a good used one. Vehicles that came with this style, known as a 'matchbox' for the small black module mounted on the side, are....

'79 620

'79 A10 (HL510)

'80-'81 A10 (HL510) with Z20S engine if it has four and not eight spark plugs.

'79 S10 (200sx)

'80 S10 (200sx) with Z20E engine if it has four and not eight spark plugs.

'80 720 truck.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Hello Again:

Have a question about the Weber Carburetor for our 620 pickup. I contacted 3 auto part stores here in our area to purchase a Weber Carburetor. All 3 indicated that they could no longer order them. I've looked at the internet sites for the carb but am Leary about ordering one. Would like to make sure I'm getting the correct carb and all the correct parts to complete the installation. A person at the other end would be nice to talk to. Any suggestions on places to purchase one would be great. Everything else on the truck is moving along thanks to the advise from the forum. Should have it back on the road soon!

Thanks

Joe 

• Like 1

Anything sold on e bay by a company is a Chinese knock off and quality to match. Not saying they won't work just that they just won't last. Try for a good used '79 or '80 matchbox EI distributor.

Same with Weber. If there are spelling errors in the ad stay away. There are so many Chinese knock-offs be sure you get a genuine one. Real Webers are made in Italy or Spain so it's not enough that it says 'designed in Italy'. A real Weber will have Made In Spain' cast into it. I think they will also have Weber cast into it so a W isn't good enough. For about $300 you can get a kit that has gaskets, the adapter plate, nuts and bolts and an air filter... everything needed to put it on your Datsun. Redline used to be good. Yes I believe Pierce Manifolds can get genuine ones.

• Like 1

FWIW, I bought 2 Weber carbs through redline/ebay several years back. Had a small issue with one of them and when I called the number on the box, I was told "we don't sell carbs on ebay".

I was able to fix the issue and have had no problems with them but Pierce seems to be the recommended vendor on these here pages.

• Like 1

I have done business with Pierce Manifolds for over 3 decades and I can say they know Webers and they know Datsuns. 

I bought a "Weber" from Redline once and receeived the Chinese EMPI knock off for the Weber Price.  I tried to return it for a refund and was told they do not sell EMPI Knockoffs!