testing waters on '71 510 with ka24de swap

FrankenDime

Please give me your opinion on a fair sale price for my:

1971 Datsun 510

Engine Mods:
'95 ka24de engine 4000 miles on odometer (AMU)
Wire tuck and engine bay shaved
GTI dual core racing radiator
Mishimoto coolant overflow tank
Relocated fuse box
Powdercoated valve cover
Nology Hotwires
Carbon Fiber Honda Fit manifold cover
Aluminum custom intake with Greddy filter
BLITZ piping stopper
GREX remote filter and HKS oil filter
Greddy Water temp sensor
HKS oil cap
HKS wire grounding
WALBRO fuel pump
RX-7 oil cooler,
240sx fuel filter conversion
Nissan quest alternator upgrade conversion
DC sports header and full 2.5" cat back Greddy titanium exhaust.
Optima Battery relocated to trunk
Restomod Bantam Air conditioning with OEM controls

Suspension and Wheels:
1979 280zx suspension conversion with disk brakes, camber plates and coilovers
Eibach front springs
1979 280zx brake master cylinder upgrade
TEIN strut bar
DATSPORT brake booster upgrade
DATSPORT steering bracket
Authentic 15x8.5 -5 offset bronze Volk TE37v Wheels (come with the car, not currently mounted)
Car currently has XXR 15x8 -5 wheels mounted.
Gorilla prismatic lug nuts
Rays center caps
Toyo Proxes TR1 tires
FutoFab adjustable TC rod and LCA set

Interior:
20% tint front and back
vintage recaros
2000 Mini Cooper center console
1996 Honda Civic center arm rest
ALPINE audio system (amps, mids and tweets, bluetooth deck)
Hertz 10" subs
Keyless entry (trunk included)
Royal copper steering wheel with WORKS BELL quick release
Copper weighted shift knob
full interior recondition
wedge seat brackets
1970 Chevy Nova gauge pod holder
Autometer gauges (tach, speedo, oil pressure, fuel, voltage, water temp, and clock)
2 point harnesses throughout

Exterior:
High heat painted funnels with 2000 Honda Civic fogs wired for daytime runners.
Painted grill
4 inch chopped, tucked and painted front bumper
Carbon fiber evo front canards
CUSCO tow hooks painted copper
JDM Datsun b110 fender mirrors chopped and painted
AeroCatch locking hood pins
Hydraulic hood shocks
BRE carbon fiber front air dam
Rare JDM center taillight garnish
Custom one-off roof rack with copper rails (notched for carrying bmx)
LED headlight bulbs

This car was in SuperStreet in December, 2012. (comes with the issue of SS this car was in and all available documentation)

Will throw in fully restored 1983 Schwinn Predator if full price is offered (pictured below)  THIS IS IF I decide to sell.

41695671291_6bc5684f2d_z.jpg

40977494694_3fbd99e8b0_z.jpg

40977493174_16c3bb0a52_z.jpg

40977493474_14af0cc7fc_z.jpg

41695672031_ba6f36db91_z.jpg

40977494364_0f658219c4_z.jpg

41695671831_a7266a711b_z.jpg

40977494114_b4317da9e3_z.jpg

41695671661_96ffbef599_z.jpg

41695671551_f5bf1984c2_z.jpg

40977493874_38dc1c1a76_z.jpg

41695671421_65c9d03a1f_z.jpg

40977493674_440354460e_z.jpg

40977493314_130fa524a2_z.jpg

41695670841_e5d64153f1.jpg

40977493064_ec5c25a11f_z.jpg

39888733670_65dc6469e3.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, testing water posts are dumb. Price it or don't.

Second, use the classifieds.

third, nice dime.

first, the first sentence in your response was unnecessary.  the reason for testing waters for me is I don't know WHAT to price it at so I was asking for feedback...

second, it seems like every time I post something on this forum, the feedback has some sort of negative tone in the replies.  Is this negativity towards other dime enthusiasts really warranted?

You don't know what it's worth.. look at bring a trailer, craigslist, ebay current and past listing. Add in your emotional attachment fee. Price it high, expect low ball offers.

It's a nice car. Should be able to fetch a good amount. But only as much as someone is willing to pay. You set that price.. if you set it high and get no bites, lower the price.

The Internet should ban testing the waters posts.

• Like 3

I think you can get 15K for it In Japan or Australia EZ  or even here with a person that just got o have it. More w/o the FTLC logo on there

More if it was a SSS COUPE like 25k

Its the details you have on it thats makes it worth more.

To me its just a 4door 510 and nobody wanted them back in the day.  But as Im older I think the 4dr a better looking car than a 2 door

If you dont get more than 15k for it just keep it. 15K is nothing these days

• Like 3

first, the first sentence in your response was unnecessary.  the reason for testing waters for me is I don't know WHAT to price it at so I was asking for feedback...

second, it seems like every time I post something on this forum, the feedback has some sort of negative tone in the replies.  Is this negativity towards other dime enthusiasts really warranted?

This is generally a grumpy cynical bunch.  You'd think they'd be happier since they own Datsuns but???

You obviously have lots of time and $$ in your build.  It is apparent it was built to your specific tastes, which means everyone else will find things they don't like and focus on those rather than the fact it is a sweet looking/driving 510. 

As others have mentioned, BAT gives good historical guide to some recent sales but the 2dr 510's are the ones that demand the premium (and the Bluebird Coupes on top of that)

https://bringatrailer.com/datsun/510/

You can also look at craigslist offerings in your area or CA (if you want higher priced comps) or flip through this thread:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/55571-post-craigslist-ebay-ads-here/page-448

You will not likely get out of it what you put into it and the final selling price will be less than what you or someone else could duplicate the project for. 

I would hope you can get $10K+ but you need to find the right buyer(s).  $15K may be a stretch with the number of personal mods done.  Make sure you are really ready to let go and then do just that, let go. 

Like someone mentioned up above, figure out what you need to get, list it slightly higher, be ready to drop the price (below what you need) and hold on tight...

Or scrap the whole idea and go have fun driving your car.

--carter

• Like 1

Draker is right about “testing the waters” posts.

My assessment: it appears well put together. The styling is polarizing, looks like the fast and the furious barfed all over it. 510 prices are crazy right now, but foor doors are worth significantly less money even now. The interior looks pretty good. I’m hesitant to give an opinion on price because I feel like this post is a fishing expedition. You say you don’t have a clue what it’s worth but your post says, and I quote, “Will throw in fully restored 1983 Schwinn Predator if full price is offered“. How can full price be offered if you supposedly don’t know what that price is. I will tell you this: I know of a two door with better paint, an sr20, nice interior, etc a more desirable car in other words that went for 15k. So my guess would be under that.

• Like 4

People can be hard headed.. dont mind the "purists" and "traditionalists" here on ratsun. your 510 is beautiful, my word of advice don't take any offer, enjoy what you have because once you sell it, you will always remember it. regardless of what people opinions are on your car, good luck with your sale people get so side tracked because "its a 4 door" in my opinion 4 doors look better than 2 doors, better than wagons and should be enjoyed regardless. just my little rant. don't take less than 15 for it.

• Like 1

I remember the bat advert now. The bubbling and cracking paint admitted by owner in the bat ad are worrisome at the least, the ad also shows the whole body of the car, there’s small dents and dings all over it...now I’m not sure I’d even go 10k. Bubbles in paint mean only one thing, cancer or rot...cracking usually means loads of incorrectly done filler.

He’ll probably find a stupid rich kid willing to pay a stupid price for it, there’s one born every minute. Honestly, I don’t get the lack of love for the four doors, but the truth of the matter is they just don’t fetch the premium of a two door.

• Like 1