The MM47 CB750 Cafe Project

Back in 2016, I decided that if I wasn't going to let myself own a Datsun for a while (space, time, etc) I was going to find another outlet for my j-tin obsession. I've always loved Honda's, actually had a '73 CB175 for my first vehicle.

This one fell into my lap in early 2016.

It's a 1971 CB750, early K1. Initially this was going to be a resto-mod project, fixing first what was broken and riding it for a little while, but that didn't last long. I started by replacing the loose swingarm bushings, but realized while I was there that I might as well do the rest of the stuff back there while I was at it.

XBuDJLK.jpg

ffAZaz8.jpg

xKg7d27.jpg

Over the last 3 months I've been going through the stages to strip it.

oy21hoR.jpg

klWpll0.jpg

As it sits now:

kuIPjNt.jpg

Ag8s4Kc.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I picked the bike up, the PO gave me boxes of spare parts, including a spare motor.

I was initially going to throw this motor onto the frame, and rebuild the original motor to be swapped back onto the frame later, however after breaking it down for a simple inspection it became apparent that this motor wasn't being used for a reason......

Pulled the valve cover to learn that the valve train was NOT stock, decided to go in further out of curiosity.

gnSBQzV.jpg

kQkdGyR.jpg

VKPFLKa.jpg

9Zkz4fN.jpg

fIbIglJ.jpg

CXw73jr.jpg

q3aSMJf.jpg

Blown the fuck up. This motor was someones built Russ Collins 836 big bore motor, with big cam, dual valve springs, aluminum retainers, etc. Surprisingly, the cylinders and valves were not damaged from the motor failure, so I'll order a set of pistons from Wiseco and throw it all back together at some point after more in depth checking.

• Like 2