Those stories you hear from previous Datsun people.

On 1/16/2019 at 10:50 AM, Seeker > 620 KC said:

Hey Emanistan

My 620 doesn't need as serious repairs as yours, and it's been off the road 5 years due to my old age and financial situation! I hear exactly what you're talking about, wanting to get her on the road sooner than years later.

Just be sure to find someone who has some familiarity with Datsun's or is an old school mechanic vs. a tech who simply swaps parts in/out. I've had some really bad work done by a couple local "professionals."  One was an alignment shop who installed lower A arm bushings and a front sway bar kit. They drove the lower bushing in from the front vs. the back, and shredded the outer edge of it. And the sway bar kit was the wrong one with over length bolts. They did not compare the old ones to the new ones to ensured they matched,  and installed them anyway. The nuts bottomed out on the over-length bolts and luckily they rattled as I drove it home.  Otherwise I would have kept driving it and wouldn't have jacked it up to check their work. Lesson learned.

I'd like to drive the 620 to the new Powerland Event that is replacing Canby this year (the second weekend in June), but I doubt  I will get it completed in time.  Hopefully, I can get the dash back in my 200sx and drive it there instead. If so, I'll give you a shout and maybe we can meet up as I drive through your neck of the woods on my way up?  Maybe you'll come to Powerland too?

Last, Perhaps the guy in your story whose eyes were misting up... was  because he was remembering riding in the back of the police car? lol

Seeker

Thanks Seeker. I've had worries about just the sort of things you're talking about, but luckily I live in an area with a lot of old-school mechanics and restoration shops, and the bottom line is, I'm determined not to be one of those guys with a stripped rusting out hulk in their driveway that they've been saying they're going to restore for all the decades since they had it hauled home. If something isn't done right and it has to be fixed, it's better than having a once good car hopelessly rust away because I didn't have the time or skills to get to it.

I think I'll definitely go to Powerland this summer, and...is this Hugh I'm talking to? I've been shut out of the forum so long I forget your screen name and I'm to lazy to check my old messages at the moment...anyway, whoever you are, I'd love to meet up as you head this way. If this is Hugh, I emailed you my number.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/13/2019 at 11:13 AM, emanistan said:

a Mexican man walked by and talked about seeing so many of these cars on the road in his country when he was young, and how they were used as police cars and taxi-cabs there. His eyes almost seemed to mist over as he looked over the car and remembered.

This kinda thing happens all the time with my 510. Most of the time, it's older gentlemen and gentlewomen having owned 510s as their first cars. Fond memories of youthful shenanigans, drugs and partying, and past girlfriends/boyfriends all seem to be linked in memory with their old Datsuns. 

As much as things change, they stay the same. I'm in my early 20's and forging similar memories with my Datsun (impromptu camping out on the side of the road with my girlfriend because the car broke down in the middle of the night 😬) .

• 1 year later...
On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 12:50 AM, ratpatrol66 said:

A lady followed me for several miles until I stopped. She told me her dad had a Patrol when she was young. He would take her and siblings for drives into the mountains many times over the years. He would buy a loaf of bread and jar of peanut butter for lunch. She said he had passed away years prior and damned if I got a tear in my eye. She was in a hurry and had to go. I wanted to give her my Patrol for a weekend so she could take her kids out for a drive in the mountains.

Your generosity of the intent to offer your Patrol for the weekend got me a little tear'd up! LOL

5 hours ago, ratpatrol66 said:

I hope to see her again and offer up my Patrol.  

That is so awesome, we have a great community of Datsun enthusiast's. It is very touching to see someone with fond memories and being able to help them re-live those memories by letting them sit in our cars or drive them.

Took my 510 out to the track one time and a young guy came up to me and was all over the car, turned around and thanked me for bringing the car out and told me he thought he would never get  to see a 510.

510 picking wheel up cropped.JPG

• 2 years later...

Down here, there’s definitely a ‘type’ that you know will simply light up with stories from their past told with moist eyes. Often late 50s & 60s no nonsense folk.

Oddly enough, it was when I was finishing high school that I formed my connection to them. There were two in our year with 1600s / 510s and it was always a treat getting a ride home in one.

Darn, I’ve become one.

• Like 1