CHG Lamp Always On (Datsun 620)

DarkBlack

Hey there!,

after replacing my (faulty) Voltage Regulator i´ve got a freshly made Problem here.

as soon as i  put the Negative (or Positive) cable on the Battery, the Regulator "clicks" and the CHG Lamp in the Cluster Lights up Bright.

The light is on, even if i pull the key or even disconnect every Cable on the Ignition switch!

When i turn the IGN ON, the CHG Light goes out, the Oil lamp goes on.. When i start the car, the Lamp is also not glowing.

anyone has a solution for this problem? ^^

Thanks,

Markus

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrong or bad volt reg. Some aftermarkets r listed for multi models but nissan model yr change/build dates did not get factored in. What yr 620? Early vs late 620's have several thing diff between them. O and what motor u have might effect it too. 

Hey Guys, 

thanks for your Quick Replys.

The first voltage regulator did soak my battery empty within a day or two if i did not disconnect the battery. This is why i installed a new one.

Since my Datsun is a 79´but from Europe ( evertyhing thrown together here), means 620, Longbed,Drum Brakes Front and Rear Plus a J15 Engine, i ordered a regulator from Thailand, as they had the same config over there.

The Regulator is  made by "New-Era" and has the same connector and wire colors.

maybe i will check what the car does with the old regulator, still got it laying around.

So if you charge the battery and put the old regulator in the battery will drain? How you figure this out. You disconnected the regulator at the connector then tha battery drain will stop. You use a TEST light?

I say disconnect the volt reg then see if the battery drains if Yes then yes the Volt reg is shorted and bad.

But sometimes otherthings cause a battery to drain. I seen alternaotrs short out also and drain the battery.

Make sure the colors of the regulator are the same as on the wire harness. I assume the Volt  reg is made in Japan.

When the alternator diode(s) go bad they can drain the battery. Also perhaps you had what is called a parasitic draw in the system.... much like the interior lights staying on.

In N America from '78 on, we got alternators that had internal regulators in them.

Hey Hainz,

yes i Tested it, there was some draw with the old regulator connected but since the regulators in Thailand were so cheap i just gave it a try.

I will be in the Garage tomorrow and try to figure it out.

@Mike

Thats what i Thought!

As far as the Wiring diagram tells me, is that there are following cables connected to the Alternator:

-Ground

-Power to Bat.

-Hot wire from IGN

-Wire to the CHG Lamp

how can i figure out if my Alternator is faulty?

Thanks