Cab Swap

redhead

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People are working on trying to rig something together, hopefully we will have something working by mid summer.

• Like 1

I'm working on it using an aftermarket kit from

http://coldmasterinc.com/product/ac-kit-universal-underdash-special-order-kit-with-no-compressor-404-000dc/

CM_KIT_404-000DC_12V_N-C-1.jpg

They are available on ebay. I ordered extra long hoses because I found none of the aftermarket unit will fit under the dash and will have to mount this behind the driver's seat.

The hardest parts to source were the a/c compressor bracket and the hose fitting for it to connect to the aftermarket a/c unit.

when it all gets here I will go to a local auto a/c shop or machine shop to have those fittings made.

When I get it all together and working I'll do a write thread on it.

• Like 3

I'm working on it using an aftermarket kit from

http://coldmasterinc.com/product/ac-kit-universal-underdash-special-order-kit-with-no-compressor-404-000dc/

CM_KIT_404-000DC_12V_N-C-1.jpg

They are available on ebay. I ordered extra long hoses because I found none of the aftermarket unit will fit under the dash and will have to mount this behind the driver's seat.

The hardest parts to source were the a/c compressor bracket and the hose fitting for it to connect to the aftermarket a/c unit.

when it all gets here I will go to a local auto a/c shop or machine shop to have those fittings made.

When I get it all together and working I'll do a write thread on it.

I cant wait to see how this turns out!!

• Like 2

Power steering pump is easily obtainable.  Knock the idler pulley bearing out and replace it.  Becareful with the hoses as the aftermarket hoses are expensive and do not fit well.

Nice work removing the bed mounts. 

Keep an eye out for a good running KA for when the Z24 wears out.

I can not wait to see this with the flat bed on it.

What your thoughts on getting 97 Nissan Altima for the KA24DE motor? Just figure I would ask.

• Like 1

Altima motors don't work.

Intake points the wrong way and won't accept a S13 intake.

Bell housing is different.

Too many things to spend the time money to correct to make it work. Easier/cheaper to just find an S chassis motor.

Even a truck block is better in every way.

• Like 1

Ac bracket can be obtained from any late 80s d21. They had z24 engines and often came with AC

Thanks. Already done. Same with the compressor hoses. Got it from Central Grade Auto Parts Lewiston, Idaho. Looking for the accumulator bracket now.

Will start a build thread when I get all the parts.

• Like 1

Altima motors don't work.

Intake points the wrong way and won't accept a S13 intake.

Bell housing is different.

Too many things to spend the time money to correct to make it work. Easier/cheaper to just find an S chassis motor.

Even a truck block is better in every way.

That the information i was looking for to have in the back of my head when keeping eye out for a KA motor.

• Like 1

Power steering pump is easily obtainable.  Knock the idler pulley bearing out and replace it.  Becareful with the hoses as the aftermarket hoses are expensive and do not fit well.

Do you guys know what the thread is on the power steering box? I use a 16 x 1.5 inverted flare -6 AN adapter on the Toyota pumps and boxes when I build custom hoses. The Aeroquip reusable steel hose ends and some high pressure line are super easy to use and allow you to build any shape hose you need. It's a lot easier (and safer) than bending a stock hose to fit.

Small_Pics_2_55_zpscb1f4782.jpg

Small_Pics_2_56_zps00e5b37e.jpg

Small_Pics_2_57_zpsccb4c85e.jpg

Small_Pics_2_54_zps8011f2af.jpg

• Like 1

Do you guys know what the thread is on the power steering box? I use a 16 x 1.5 inverted flare -6 AN adapter on the Toyota pumps and boxes when I build custom hoses. The Aeroquip reusable steel hose ends and some high pressure line are super easy to use and allow you to build any shape hose you need. It's a lot easier (and safer) than bending a stock hose to fit.

Small_Pics_2_55_zpscb1f4782.jpg

Small_Pics_2_56_zps00e5b37e.jpg

Small_Pics_2_57_zpsccb4c85e.jpg

Small_Pics_2_54_zps8011f2af.jpg

Ia m not sure what the thread size is.  Pressure hose takes a 22mm wrench.

Well this is how I got the KC fuel tank to fit. I had to remove the standard cab fuel mount to make room for the KC tank cause it longer. 

0-D2-F2-C94-0406-4652-87-CE-1-B9-F3925-C

C5868832-3-EC5-4-A00-BD6-E-CF1-E4974255-

279-FCB00-8396-4-F1-A-9-ECD-24-FC0-AB1-F

3288-B07-E-E251-4-B97-B8-D3-F8-FEDA55-E3

1643523-D-5-D00-4813-8061-80-A95-D0-FF6-

Edited by redhead
  • Like 1

Are those lines steel or plastic? If plastic, you could use a splice from a big rig air brake hose system. Any NAPA will have those couplers.

If it's a steel line, replace the line or cut it and flare it, then use an inverted flare coupler.

It is a metal line they used.  Do you know if you can separated just the fuel line from the other three lines? I know there a block holding all four of them together. 

The Kind cab tank will fit mush better.  Use the stock factory electric fuel pump.  Be sure you hook up the fuel return line.

That the KC tank is under there just hard to tell in the pictures. I had to cut off the Standard cab front fuel tank mount off in order to get the KC tank to fit under there. 

• Like 1

Sounds write on cutting the standard front bracket off to get it in.

Easy fix for the fuel line is cut it where the leak is and slide a rubber hose and a couple hose clamps on it.  Just remeber to change that section of hose every year or two.

• Like 2