slodat's 620 KC

slodat

Did you pull the dash to install it? I gotta get my new used windshield in my truck...

The glass shop guys did it. It was not that hard. It can easily be done with the dash in place. Start at the bottom and work each side to the top. Finish in the top middle.

I'm not sure how I feel about the fitment of the seal they used..

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool so it sounds like the way we do 510 ones :D yeah aftermarket gaskets suck!! Tis life when owning an old rig :( I sure do love a new windshield though!!!!

• 1 year later...

A lot has happened to the truck since I last posted in this thread. The windshield I had installed was complete shit. It didn't seal - at all. It broke shortly after it was put in the truck. It was stolen in November 2010. I got it back and have been going back and forth a lot on what to do with it. Finally last week I decided to put some more work into making it a nice daily drivable truck. I ordered a new Pilkington Glass windshield. The shop guaranteed it will seal up before it leaves their shop. I put in a dome light and new pin switches. Last weekend I picked these up during pick-n-pull's 1/3 off sale.

IMG_3614.jpg

I had a loud, annoying as hell drone at about 55-60 mph. I put in these 3.889 gears and it is gone. The drone is caused from a resonance of the whole truck at a certain narrow engine rpm range. Changing the rear ratio moved that rpm range out of a vehicle speed I normally drive at. Net result - the truck is a LOT quieter. I mean a lot. It has almost no interior in it right now and it is still a lot quieter. The gears were actually rather easy to find. They were in the second 720 I looked in. Look for the 38 in the axle ratio portion of the underhood VIN tag. 38 = 35/4 = 3.889. I can't recommend this gear change enough. Thank you yello620!

The interior is out because I've started the new interior for the truck. I won't install anything until the windshield is in. This is the new door panel blank. The plan is to have a design inspired by the pattern stamped in the stock door panel vinyl.

IMG_3377.jpg

• 6 months later...

If you don't mind me asking where did you go to for windshield and what was the total of it installed?

I had it done at Hampton Auto Glass on 78th in Vancouver. My old windshield was broken and my insurance replaced it. I'm not sure what they charged to do it. It doesn't leak. It fits right. Very happy with it and the work Hampton Auto Glass did on the truck.

After I put the 3.889 rear gears in I put in a white speedo gear in. The white gear is for a 3.9 ratio, supposedly. After it was installed my speedo was still off about 11%. Today, I installed a gear for a 3.54 rear ratio (the black gear). My speedo is now dead nuts on according to GPS. I'm happy to have an accurate speedometer.

I have the stock driver seat on the bench right now to upholster it. The stock sinous spring was broken in a few places. I'm installing new springs where necessary and putting in some really nice firm foam. It will be a nice looking and comfy set of seats.

2eDeYe' date='07 September 2011 - 08:39 AM' timestamp='1315406370' post='542784']

Interesting on the speedo gear. Wonder what the deal is with that...

It has to have something to do with rear tire size. I would think? :huh:

• 3 weeks later...

I wasn't getting notifications on this thread for some reason. Just saw the replies.

This is what I noticed on the speedo gears. I'm the second owner on the truck and have no reason to believe anything has been changed on it. Using this chart my stock 4.375 gears should have had a purple (21 tooth) speedo gear in the transmission. It had a red (20 tooth for 4.11's) gear in it when I took it apart the first time. When I installed the 19 tooth white gear for 3.9 (according to that chart) my speedo was off ~11%. A little math shows that going from 19 teeth to 17 teeth would give a 10.5% change (17/19). So, that's what I did..

I have stock wheels with stock size (or there about) tires. I'm sure tire size is different from the original tires on the truck.

Regardless, that chart on z31.com jives with the old Nissan Motorsports catalog page I have saved somewhere with speedo gear info on it.

I found the black 17 tooth gear in a '80 280ZX 2+2 auto.

As far as my 620 goes, I've been busy in the shop lately. I got the seat bottom springs sorted out. I made new outer springs out of new spring material. The stock springs were broken on both seats. Now that the springs are sorted out I started designing the seats this evening. I'm headed back out to the shop to get a little more done on them before sleep..

• 1 month later...

Last weekend I drove up to see tdaaj about possibly trading for his NL320. That process made me realize how much I like my 620 for pickup truck duties and driving around town. It is pretty well sorted out mechanically. The whole thought of trading it away motivated me to get the few things that are bugging me about it taken care of. Fixing just a few simple things really made a difference in how much I enjoy the truck. I an issue where the exhaust was touching the torsion bar crossmember ever so slightly. That was causing a vibration and droning sound about 3000 rpm. Fixed! The truck is so quiet to drive now.

I put a dash bezel in the truck to replace the one that got busted up when the truck was stolen last year. Seeing the dash back together and in one piece adds to my enjoyment driving it.

Now, it is time to get the interior done. Black with a charcoal grey.

Driver seat bottom before:

IMG_4652.jpg

I did this to see if I like the colors. It will be redone, changing the insert and installing seat heaters!

IMG_4788.jpg

Carpet will be charcoal grey, I think. I may change my mind and do black carpet.

That seat cushion looks amazing!

Where do you get your materials?

Thanks. As I mentioned above, that seat cushion was a test to see if I like the colors and such.

I get my materials from an upholstery supply company. I use a few different suppliers.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I have wanted cruise control in the truck since the day I bought it. It just makes driving lot more pleasant on the highway. I have some long drives ahead of me in the KC in the coming weeks. I finally took the plunge and installed an aftermarket cruise control, a Rostra Universal Cruise Control (250-1223) and 250-3421 control switch. I bought the whole setup at Instrument Sales and Service. They are near the Portland airport. Cost was just under $300.

I didn't take a ton of photos of the installation. It is really straight forward and I was focused on getting it installed. I used a throttle cable wheel off of a throttle body for the cruise cable connection to the carb. I trimmed the wheel until it laid flat on the linkage that was on my carb and welded it together. The cable bracket was welded to the throttle cable bracket.

IMG_6060.jpg

I relocated the horns from the side of the fender well and mounted the servo box. I didn't drill any new holes; just used existing threaded holes for the horns and the servo bracket.

IMG_6061.JPG

I mounted the control switch to the upper portion of the steering column surround.

IMG_6062.jpg

The wiring is very straight forward. One cool feature of the Rostra cruise control is it doesn't use a clutch switch. It has a tachometer input to sense engine RPM. It will shut off the cruise when the clutch is pressed based on this tach signal. For the speed sensor I used one that I got off of a 510. The 510's with dual points have a speed sensor inline between the speedometer and speedo cable on the back of the instrument cluster. I wired its output to the speed sensor lines on the cruise control and it works great.

I am very happy with the operation of the cruise. Well worth the effort!

Driver side door panel.. It is mounted a bit low at the rear of the door. When I have it off next, I'll adjust it up so it follows the door's line, like it is designed to do :D

IMG_6085.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

My KC will be getting a lot of highway time this summer. I'm moving out to the middle of nowhere in NE Washington. I ordered a pair of door seals from Route 66 Restorations on their ebay page for $57.80 shipped. I ordered them yesterday morning and they were here today! The seals fit very well and are a good product. I am very happy with them. Makes the truck MUCH quieter!