slodat's 620 KC

slodat

I go to Discount Import Parts for Weber jets.

That is very doublful based on the conversations I had with him when I bought the truck. It seemed important to him that the truck be taken care of and put on the road, not cut up. Whatever..

LOL, I was just kiddin!!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got some more accomplished on the KC. Had Lee at A-1 Muffler in Tigard run 2" exhaust from my down pipe back. He does great work. Once the exhaust was under control the next thing was to get the air filter setup made. I did the air cleaner ala mklotz - stock air cleaner housing modified to fit on a weber 32/36. I cleanup and welded up all the unnecessary holes and what not. I forgot to snap a photo tonight.

I installed a stock earlier 620 sway bar and new strut rod bushings on the truck tonight. It made a huge difference in how it drives. Highly recommended to all '78-'79 620 owners. Thanks Bleach for the idea!

The truck is coming together nicely. Stereo and interior work are next on the agenda. I'd also like to get a set of 3.7 rear gears in it to further reduce noise at highway speeds.

3.70 is pretty low and you may not be able to climb hills out on the highway except revved full out in third. Just sayin'.

The '83 and up 2wd 720s had 3.70 and 3.889 BUT check the pinion yoke. I'm pretty sure it was changed in or around '82 for a larger diameter drive shaft and your 620 won't fit it. I tried this and you can't swap the yoke because the spline on it was changed as well.

Best bet is to look at '80-'82 720s 2wd. with 3.889 (4X4 use 4.375 ratio) If you find one look on the inner passenger side fender just below the hood hinge. There is an aluminum tag there with the axle info on it. Bottom line says TRANS/AXLE.... FS5W71B..... HF38. The HF38 means a 3.889 rear was installed at the factory. HF41 would be 4.11 ratio, and so on.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/720%20stuff/720stuff060Large.jpg[/img]"]720stuff060Large.jpg

Always check the crown gear when you get it out as the ratio is stamped on it. A 3.70 would have 37/10 a 3.889 would have 35/9. Just divide the small into the large number to get the ratio.

If you do find a 3.70 ratio be absolutely sure you check your driveshaft fitment. Possibly the 720 drive shaft could be fitted to the 620 but that's a stretch.

Thanks for the info on the third members Mike. yello620 seemed to be ok with his 3.7 gear set. I am going to give them a shot, unless I come across a set of the 3.89's.

More work on the KC. I welded in a bung so I can run my wide band O2 sensor to aid in tuning the carb.

DSCF0421.JPG

Mounted the driver seat. These seats are awesome!

DSCF0426.JPG

Built the air cleaner housing to work with my weber carb. This solved the carb noise annoyance.

DSCF0429.JPG

Built this guy to help with the tunes. This is my daily driver and I like me some music..

IMG_0431.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I've been busy continuing on the daily driver aspects of the truck build. I started the new interior. I started with the rear half first. First I removed everything to find beautiful factory paint on the sheet metal.

DSCF0431.JPG

Once everything was clean I installed Elemental Designs eDead sound deadening. I used the 120 mil thick matt on the cab and floor, 80 mil is on the back of panels and such. All of the stereo and other wiring is under the carpet.

An in progress shot:

DSCF0433.JPG

After it was all trimmed out, this is what the rear half of the truck looks like.

DSCF0441.JPG

I knew going in to the interior project that I would need to cut, sew and bind the carpet in the front of the truck for it to look right. My dad was an auto upholsterer for a time when I was growing up. So, I have observed a lot of upholstery work, but I have not performed any of the tasks. I talked to a few local guys in the trade, did a ton of research on line and yesterday, I bought this beauty:

IMG_0439.JPG

The first project is finishing the front section of carpet in the KC. Then...

The back was quite a bit easier to make it look passable. Once I get the front done the first time, I'll probably pull it all apart and do the whole thing over. The rear carpet is not bound (edged) and that is visible when the doors are open. Once it is all said and done, the interior will look pretty sweet me thinks. I'm planning on making up some custom fit carpet "kits" for the dattos if there is interest and people are willing to pay a reasonable price..

That's a nice job on that air cleaner...That would be the way to add a Weber to a truck or car that has to pass a visual test when they get smogged. I've always wanted to try a Weber on my 720, but the aircleaner would be a dead giveaway that it wasn't stock. I have fought them before about lack of an air pump, and would for sure fight them about the typical Weber air cleaner. Your air cleaner looks stock..Pretty :cool:

Slodat,

I can't tell you how stoked I am on the job you are doing on Paul's truck. She is coming out great. Where did you happen to pick up that sewing machine and edge binding? I have been wanting to get one for interior work on the Roadsters. Keep up the good work and can't wait to see her in person again.

Mike

aka exit64

Thanks for the compliments! I made the binding. The top stitch is the challenge on that piece. I bought the sewing machine from an upholsterer who bought out a whole shop and had a surplus machine.

Nice work there Steve!! :) I'm looking forward to more interior stuff.

Thanks Mike! A friend and I spent the day making a 4' x 8' upholstery/work table. It is awesome having a great work surface to work from. I started sorting out the kick panels and new door panels...

A couple of photos of the work table I made. 2x6 top rail, 2x4 bottom, 4x4 legs, doubled cross braces, 3/4 plywood top base and 3/4 MDF work surface attached from below for a completely smooth top work area. There are 2lbs of 3" screws holding it all together. On wheels. It is very solid! The shelf below is for storage of raw materials. I plan to raise my machine stand to be flush with the work table. I also plan to make a new machine table top. It will have the wing on the left made of one piece with drawers below.

I picked up some sew foam and materials to make the door panels and kick panels.

DSCF0443.JPG

DSCF0445.JPG

I installed my Innovate LC-1/XD-16 combo wideband O2 sensor in the KC today. These things are pretty damn cool. From what I can tell thus far it is lean in the primary. Once I floor it and get into the secondaries it goes to about 14.1 or so. Then back at cruise it is 15.x. I'll pick up a smaller air jet and see where that puts things.