slodat's 620 KC

slodat

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I made a lot of progress on the truck. I made a new alternator tensioning setup for the Saturn alternator swap. I made a new down pipe for the L16 exhaust manifold - out of 32 pieces of steel. And I made my weber adapter. I had to head out of town for work before I had a chance to get the truck back on the road. I'm home again next week and looking forward to getting it running.

Here's a couple photos of the alternator setup:

IMG_0400.JPG

IMG_0399.JPG

IMG_0398.JPG

you used the stock water inlet huh? I don't know why someone said to use a 280zx one.....:rolleyes:

I don't know why guys say you have to swap out the water neck. I posted other photos that show how the Saturn alternator tucks all the way up under the stock 620 water neck to the side of the engine. You can see how the alternator fits under the stock water neck in the photos above. All I did was make the adjuster and shorten the bushing in the rear ear of the Saturn alternator. It was dead simple to mount it.

Yes, you have to put a small twist in the lower hose where it connects to the water pump inlet. This is true with the stock alternator too in my experience. Nothing extreme here, just a matter of paying attention, no?

Is that a L16 intake?

Yes, it is an L16 intake and exhaust.

2eDeYe;145092']I just switched mine cause I happened to find one when I got my alternator. I figured the more adjustment the better.

That adapter is sweet.

Thanks! My approach to making parts is to make it, even if it's ugly, make it anyway. If ya don't try, ya don't improve!

Here's a photo of the down pipe I made for the L16 exhaust manifold. It is made out of 32 pieces of steel!! It snakes around the torsion bar nicely. (that's dislexicdime posing in the photo)

DSCF0383.JPG

I got the truck running today. It started up and runs great from the first kick of the starter. I have a few little things to take care of and it will be back to daily driver duties later tomorrow.

DSCF0395.JPG

DSCF0398.JPG

Edited by slodat
That engine bay is super clean! :D

I degreased and pressure washed the f'ck out of it prior to the photo :D

2eDeYe;146652'']Haha, that exhaust is art now :D

It also doesn't leak and... I made it :D

I got a the new engine stuff sorted out tonight, with the help/aggravation/encouragement/shit talking of dislexicdime and citycunter.

The truck runs, idles, etc so sweet. I also got a personal invite from Washington's finest to get my title stuff sorted out from when the truck was marked a total loss by the insurance company after the 16 y/o hit me in December.

I'm over joyed with the truck. All of the work and my ugly parts I made worked out well. It f'in runs great - especially for a truck.

Tomorrow I'm off to the DMV to get the salvage title sorted and I'm finally rolling a KC.. I've wanted a 620 KC since I was like 14.. which was a while ago... I'll admit to it being over 20 years :D

Yesterday I did some re-jetting of the weber. It wasn't running as good as I knew it should. Stumbles here and there and the like. I upped the idle jets .5mm and the primary fuel jet .5mm. I'll get the secondary fuel jet replaced when I am able to pick one up next weekend. It runs a lot better. Idle is smoother. Transitions improved. We shall see how it as after a few weeks driving.

When I first got the truck going I was having a problem with the weber throttle cable bracket preventing the throttle from closing all the way. So, I modified it so the throttle cable was no longer making and angle in its travel.

IMG_0412.JPG

It worked well. I just used a piece of a bracket that was on the bench.

Now that the truck is running well I'm going to get the interior sorted out. I have a tach and a nice dash coming for it. I plan to replace the windshield and rear window gaskets. Once I verify my windshield doesn't leak then I'll get the floor pans painted with POR15 and install some new carpet. I'm on the lookout for a pair of nice seats.

I got a chance to drive the truck to run a couple errands this morning. It was so nice to drive it around! Now, I'm back on the road working for the week..

Its gotta be hard working on the road every week isn't it?

I love my job and the travel involved.

So what size jets did you end up using? Or maybe you should not tell until you are done with your tuning?

idle jets - 65 / 55

main - 145 / 145

left the rest alone.

That 65 idle is what i need too. My mixture screw is a little beyond spec.

Do you have a good local source for jets or are you mail ordering them?

I go to Discount Import Parts for Weber jets.

Slodat, you should be lucky you didn't hit a deer going 65 on I84 headed to canby. I almost had Exit64 talked into cutting the nose off that thing so i could fix my truck and still make it to canby.

That is very doublful based on the conversations I had with him when I bought the truck. It seemed important to him that the truck be taken care of and put on the road, not cut up. Whatever..

I spent the past couple days working on the truck. I've been focusing on the driver experience stuff. I installed a crack free dash pad, a factory tach, and a factory delay wiper option yesterday. I also got about half way through installing a keyless entry system.

Today, I picked up a set of seats from a Prelude. Not sure what year. I mounted the passenger seat first. It took a few hours, but it worked out well.

The seats sat nicely on the floor of the truck. The rear was a matter of drilling holes and bolting them down. The front mounting was not as simple. The mounting points were rotated 90 degrees compared to what came stock in the truck. I wanted to use a crush tube on the horizontal plane where the bolt would go through the seat's stock mounting hole. This wouldn't hold the front of the seat down though. Especially when the person in the seat puts any pressure on the seat back.

So, I made the crush tube and then spaced it up off the floor with a through the floor mount. Like so:

1/2" thick wall black pipe. One piece milled to fit against the other. And a T-nut to weld in for the floor mount.

IMG_0421.JPG

How they fit together:

IMG_0422.JPG

T-Nut welded on:

IMG_0423.JPG

All three pieces welded together:

IMG_0424.JPG

The whole setup, to give you an idea of how it works:

IMG_0425.JPG

Installed:

IMG_0426.JPG

There are one of these at each front mounting point.

IMG_0427.JPG

Seat in the truck:

IMG_0428.JPG

The driver seat will be mounted on the rear side of the seat mounting cross member. This is to allow for more rear adjustment of the driver seat. The passenger is like it is to make room for the subwoofer enclosure going behind that seat. There is plenty of legroom on the passenger side.