Speedymaru

Headlights won’t turn on

So I was going to drive my 1978 620 into town to get gas tonight, and I went to start my truck and it wouldn’t crank. I tried to headlights to see if I had battery power, and they didn’t come on. I disconnected the positive lead from my battery for a while, then reconnected it. My truck then was able to crank, but my headlights won’t come on. I already checked the fuses in the cab, and they’re all good. I also removed the headlamp fuse and put it back in to see if the contacts were dirty, but it didn’t help. The PO rewired part of the headlight circuit. There is a pullout switch to turn them on and off, and a click button type switch by my feet for the brights. I can add pictures if that doesn’t make sense.

I’m not really sure where to begin diagnosing. Any info is appreciated

I’d start by thoroughly cleaning cables and posts.

• Like 1

This.

Clean and tighten BOTH cables and battery posts. If stripped bolts, replace.

Practically impossible to troubleshoot lights that have been messed with. There's just no telling what some incompetent, though well meaning idiot may have done to it.

Yes, a single Green one that goes to the fuse box and the ignition. If blown, NOTHING will work.

• Like 1

make I simple ck for Power using a test light.

Make sure light works by touching the 12volt on Battery then work your way up to the fuse box. . Lights should come on. Put a new fuse in as a old one may look good in the galss but the ends are broke inside

If it worked before then its just a connection issue most likely. Even if a hack wire job.

Last power proplem I had was a broken bolt n battery cable. I would get a 1 start then battery would look weak. I bought cables and battery when I took it apart said Fuck maybe that's all it was .

Put a new fuse in as a old one may look good in the galss but the ends are broke inside

If it worked before then its just a connection issue most likely. Even if a hack wire job.

I just took the switch out and This is the problem. The fuse that’s on the switch itself looks good, but is actually broken. I’m heading in to grab a new one and will check back when done! Thank you all

• Like 1

Replaced the switch and put it all back together and they’re working again! Thanks again

• Like 1

The simplest solution is usually the right answer. And more heads are better than one! Go Team Ratsun!!

I just took the switch out and This is the problem. The fuse that’s on the switch itself looks good, but is actually broken. I’m heading in to grab a new one and will check back when done! Thank you all

Can't be a Datsun switch. Hard to trouble shoot home made fixes. Like a doorbell switch on the steering column for the horn. Or a light switch on the dash for the headlights

Yes, it is not a Datsun switch. The previous owner wired something up just before i bought it. Thank you all for the help

rewire properly if you put in "big" lights