620 power steering?

sandcarsunltd

Redeye,

I think I answered my own question about your choice of plate steel for the plug vs. another material.

Looks like you made a mini-620-sleeve to go inside the plate-steel firewall plug, then built up weld around the mini-sleeve to the plate plug. This would support the inner 720 column tube since it does not extend all the way to the gear box and bolt to it, like the orig 620 column tube did.

What I can't tell in the pics, is if you ended up welding/ tacking the inner 720 column tube to the mini-620-sleeve or not? I'm guessing you did, and that is what the V-notches are for in the mini-620-sleeve?

You are correct on the reason I went with the plate. 

They are still separate pieces. The notches allow a clamp to tighten the collar to the tube. Makes it a bit easier to install and remove. 

Hey Redeye,

Trying to save room for smog pump &/ or PS pump...Do you recall what vehicle your Toyota steering gear box came out of that bolted on the outside of the frame? Did you have any complications or turning radius issues with it being outside vs. inside? Was curious why DZM thought it might not work, or be ideal?

If staying 2wd I would use a 280zx box inside the rail box to maintain your stock steering geometry. 

Also, Toyota and Nissan use different fittings on their pressure lines at the box. Something else to keep in mind. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't mess around with modifying the pressure line. The pumps run at roughly 1300-1450 psi and a failed line could cause a fire.

'

Yes that pressure (1,200 max on the 720 pump) is available but only when doing work like forced against full lock or sudden turns. The rest of the time it freely circulates back to the reservoir. The hard lines won't fail but connections may leak. Rubber hoses are more likely to leak. I did my homework and there was never a problem or leak and I never had to anything with it in the 4 ? years I had it. 

• Like 4

I wasn't referring to rubber hoses. The hose I use is an industrial steel braided and cloth covered hose, which is abrasion resistant and pressure rated to 3500 psi. The hose ends are thick steel, not like the thin regular aluminum AN hose ends you might use on a fuel hose.

I noticed a long time ago that OEM hard pressure lines were not thin tubing. The wall thickness of OEM hard lines is about double the thickness of a similar auto parts store hard line. Seeing that raised the question of safety, and I always try to take safety into account.

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...

Gone are the days of cheap Toyota steering boxes. Marlin still has the lowest prices - https://www.marlincrawler.com/steering/box/rebuilt-ifs-steering-box

I use Red Head Steering Gears for my rebuilding. They can rebuild a box for about $300 or sell one outright for about $450.

In CA, you can still find Toyota 4x4 steering boxes in the wrecking yards for less than $100.