2nd gear making sound

tr8er

01vg 4x4 frontier

2nd gear sounds funny when shifter is in second, and clutch peddle mostly pressed. When driving in 2nd, no problem. When clutch pressed hard, no problem.

Not a big issue right now, but I don't like to ignore symptoms. You guys think you know what's up?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You would think that the clutch does not know what gear you are in so unlikely to make a sound only in second. Everything is spinning inside the transmission with the clutch engaged or pedal up. Power is transmitted through the counter bearing and shaft in every gear except 4th. If only in second then about all you can do is check the oil level.... if good, new oil won't help.  If low or it's been 30K miles or you don't know when last changed... change it. A 71B will take 2 liters, stock a little less. As always GL4 only.

• Like 1

If you could describe the sound better, it may help us decide if it's in the trans or in the clutch.

A screeching noise would be clutch or throwout bearing.

A shudder would also be clutch.

A rattling or rapid clunking would be the trans.

Could it be that your shifter is hitting the trans tunnel in second gear?

• Like 1

You're assuming that the noise only happens as described. I assume nothing until all the variables are whittled down.

Here's another possibility, that the bellhousing bolts are loose and by pushing the clutch pedal, it actually moves the trans, causing it to hit the body.

That was more of a joke, really, but you just won't know if you can't see the vehicle in question.

• Like 2

The clutch doesn't know what gear to make a noise in, it can only make noise or not make noise when used.

Shifter rubbing tunnel is a good one. :thumbup:

Well, no video is working out yet. I'll need a quieter scenario, but my phone isn't really catching it well. I presume trans because I am only able to replicate in 2nd. To replicate best, I drive 30ish, disengage the clutch, downshift into 2nd then slowly let off the pedal. Between disengaged and engaged it starts whirring. Almost a bad bearing noise. But why not in other gears?

I do hope it's the clutch. I'll change the trans oil this weekend. It is due.

So this is while letting the clutch out (engage) in second while down shifting? The car velocity is used to spin the engine up as the clutch slips. This would definitely put a side load on the counter bearings.

This is the 510 4 speed? not a 71B?

If the clutch it would do it in every gear.

• Like 1

The adjustment for that is the volume control on the radio, reach down and turn it clockwise. I had noisy std transmissions that sounded like a siren on a police car, I added a tube of BG-Trans conditioner, I went for a test drive and it was like the siren was going in the opposite direction until the noise dissapeared. It's not often cars heal up but it's nice when they do, couldn't hurt to add some but we used to cure a noise like yours whacking the exhaust heat-shields with our Datsunhammer  

• Like 1

Just remembered, some people drive around with their hand resting on the shift stick in 2nd until it's time to shift to 3rd. They would ware out the 2nd gear fork and collar and develop a rattle/vibration from inside the trans and eventually it would pop out on 2nd because the ware didn't allow it to go all the way into gear so don't do that.

• Like 2

So this is while letting the clutch out (engage) in second while down shifting? The car velocity is used to spin the engine up as the clutch slips. This would definitely put a side load on the counter bearings.

This is the 510 4 speed? not a 71B?

If the clutch it would do it in every gear.

My 01frontier 4X4

It is most prevalent downshifting. But not by too much. It does the same when moving up the tree

When we did a noise evaluation at my shop, Japanese Auto Works, JAWS for short we test drove the vehicle, heard the noise and put it into a category
1. Will this leave you stranded on the side of the freeway with your hood up and danger all around?
2. Will this coast you greater in the future if left unattended?
3. Will this have to get worse and go to stage two or three to answer 1 or 2
The answer to your question is #3, you owe me $12

Just remembered, some people drive around with their hand resting on the shift stick in 2nd until it's time to shift to 3rd. They would ware out the 2nd gear fork and collar and develop a rattle/vibration from inside the trans and eventually it would pop out on 2nd because the ware didn't allow it to go all the way into gear so don't do that.

+1 ^^^ !