So what's YOUR take on it?

We all saw it coming & now it's almost here...the addition of JDM cars being highlighted with their own reality TV series on the Velocity channel (April 17th).

I am personally torn...yeah, I wanna see Datsuns get some recognition & love on TV but...when I think of all that comes with it...even higher prices? original parts harder to find? aftermarket parts availability improved?

Thoughts?

• Like 2
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exposure is a double edge sword, it may spur manufacturers to make new parts available, but also can boost theft, inflate values via the "Barrett Jackson" effect, etc. I dont know if I am a fan of all the exposure Datsuns have gotten the last few years, it always seems to be followed by ten thousand new teen-20 somethings spamming all the forums on how to SR20DET swap all the things....

• Like 2

Forgot to mention this is Jay Leno and Adamn Corolla’s fault, so I say fuck them gently with a chainsaw...twice on Sunday.

Datsun is supposed to be the anti bullshit jackson, a bit of an automotive counter culture.

• Like 4

Every new Datsun owner should be given the back issue of sport compact car with the feature article on Gary Savage’s 510. It’s a great guideline on how to not fuck up your car. I was 22 when I got my two door 510, that article is why it’s still a nice car.

• Like 3

Stuff like this is why I refused to get rid of my very rough 78 280. I know the price bubble is only going to climb, and I may never be able to afford one again if they climb high enough. Hell it may be cheaper down the road for me to follow through with this one! Lol

• Like 1

Yup, just like every other car that hits the spotlight via these "fantasy" shows. How many people can truly do a frame off in 2 weeks??? I would maybe watch the show for the love of my Datsun, but I think this show will fuck this little world of Datsuns we live in. As soon as BJ gets ahold of these little cars and trucks, watch out!!! No one will ever buy my 520 for any amount of doe!!

• Like 2

There may be a limit to how much longer the gas engine will be around. Isn't Europe trying to switch to 100% diesel in the next decades? Electric is on the rise. So go out and burn up all the fossil fuel you can afford right now.

I hear you can build a '69 RS Camaro from after market parts.

Hot Rod magazine did when the Dynacorn shells came out- there's not a single factory '69 Camaro panel on this thing. 

116084_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

• Like 4

As far as price gouging goes, that was bound to happen. Car-based reality TV shows, Ebay and Barrett-Jackson have convinced every mullet head that the rusted out hulks in his back yard are worth a fortune, even if he's got nothing but four-door, straight six, base model Chevelles. If you're into muscle cars, International Scouts, or Model A Fords you've been paying good money for complete shit for years anyway. The early Japanese stuff wasn't going to stay under the radar forever, especially since it seems like there's a growing interest around them. It seems like even the "Buy American, you dirty commie scum" types make an exception for certain old Japanese cars. "You know... those old Datsun Z-cars were actually kind of cool for their time, I wouldn't mind having one. Especially since I'll never be able to afford a '70 Roadrunner at the prices they're bringing these days." I don't know if an old Z will ever bring what a Hemi 'Cuda convertible would bring at auction, but the prices won't be going down, that's for certain. 

• Like 2