Bringing a sitting car back to life!

I know auto trans re-builders that run straight ATF others that add a qt of marvel mystery oil but those guys are smarter than me. I use good old Valvoline 10/30 with a pt of BG-MOA that doubles the ratings of the oil and a factory oil filter and change it every 3,750

• Like 1
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the context of bringing a long sitting engine back to life, adding ATF to the oil is not a horrible thing to do. It's nothing like running without an oil pan.

If you're skeptical, don't do it. But I have done it many times on old engines and it does help clean the crankcase.

• Like 4

Just taking it all in. I feel comfortable adding some Marvel's as I've had great results with that, and I'll use a good oil filter first, then I'll keep throwing cheap oil filters at for a while after that til the oil stays clean looking. Maybe I'll get lucky, and it won't be too nasty in there. Only one way to find out.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
On 4/3/2018 at 10:11 AM, BestyBlue77 said:

Hey guys! So I'm ready to start trying to bring my 1977 B210 back to life. I bought it a few months ago. It has been sitting on a clean title non-op since 1986. The only thing missing from it is a battery. Got that, check!

Now what are all the things I should do to it before trying to fire it up?

Oil change?

Auto tranny fluid change?

Flush gas tank and lines?  Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin How do I go about flushing these out?

Clean out fuel pump? Is this possible to salvage the original? How?

Brake lines? How? I have a new master cylinder I can put in.

Anything else?

Thanks in advance! Mucho appreciate any help!!

20180203_164516_zps53r4ij3v.jpg

it through your pump and bearings scratching everything along the way and try to clog your 1/8th inch oil feed hole to your rocker with the brew how much good have you done. Scratched bearings cause internal oil leaks and the oil leaks out of the journal and falls back into the pan instead of building pressure all the way to the rockers. 

Any oil left inside the engine after it was last run will be clean and filtered. Any oil in the pan has to go through the filter to get to the engine. Look at it this way... the oil in the pan is constantly being stirred up, filtered and put back. It's going to be very clean except for maybe things that are heavier than oil and sink to the bottom of the pan where they stay. This is why I suggested replacing with cheap bulk oil and filter before starting to generally flush out the engine, then replace with a better quality oil.      

95hHQOb.jpg

This is the oil on my Z24 crankshaft main bearing that has sat for about 10 years. It doesn't disappear and it's clean.