200SX 5 spd, 1983

noramost

I have 4.11s and a ZX mid ratio 5 speed and it crosses an intersection just fine. I usually shift just over the far crosswalk. A wide ratio would probably be before or on it. A later ZX close ratio would be a much longer pull and sluggish acceleration. I did have a 3.70 diff before this and it was ok but I really like the increased torque in every gear with the 4.11s. It really woke the car up in town and you can use all 5 gears rather that stopping in 4th and only using 5th from 40 and up.

As mentioned earlier I also have an '85 CA18ET 5 speed with wide ratio gear set. This is a 3.592 first compared to my present 3.321 mid ratio first. I have had a wide ratio and a 4.375 in my 620 and YES the shift was mid intersection but taking off in second was only an option is someone wasn't behind you because of truck weight. I'd like to try this 'turbo' trans some day in my 710 and see. 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're*

Thank you! I never learned to spell, like most mechanics I have learning disabilities. From an early age I threw away the directions and just figured it out. My Grandfather died when I was 8 and left me his pocket watch; it didn’t work so I fixed it. I never heard the word dyslectic until I was 32 but it’s like reading with a severe stutter. When I went to school it was called being stupid. Most of the technicians I knew had learning disabilities and had borderline sociopathic personalities after all there is a reason we would rather deal with machines. One of the best techs that ever worked for me in 1980 was driving a 510 wagon with a 350 chevy and a blower through the hood, he tubbed the rear and ran big wide slicks. He graduated high school somehow but couldn’t read or write. I remember a parts man that worked at Midway Chevrolet, in those days they wore roller-skates to hurry around, he couldn’t read so he memorizes all the part numbers and did the work of 3 people.

So how do you judge the quality of your mechanic; By the size if his boat and how many words he misspells

So how do you judge the quality of your mechanic; By the size if his boat and how many words he misspells

You obviously look new. Pay it no attention that I corrected your use of the word your/you're. I'll do that with there and two also.

As for judging my mechanic...my mechanic is a real piece of shit. He's the kind of asshole that corrects people's words...like using the wrong spelling of their, too, or you're.

He also has a Camry motor he gets to rebuild tomorrow. What a dick.

• Like 1

King Rat can you build a Nissan 5spd for an in-line engine using a 4:11 dff that makes it all the way across the intersection before shifting to 2nd? We all know Nissan can't

While you can easily pass the far crosswalk in first without undue over revving I notice that when warmed up I do indeed shift just before the crossing if just driving with no one behind me. If there is a car behind me I tend to go farther because the idiot behind tends to ride up your ass during the pause between shifts.

The '80-'83 280zx 5 speed has a much lower first 3.064 as compared to the 3.321 mid ratio and the 3.592 wide ratio. I have a 4.11 with a mid ratio so if I were to swap in a zx close ratio which has an 8.5% difference it would take off like I had a 3.96 ratio differential. That would take you closer to the far crosswalk in first, but blunt your acceleration some. Additionally the zx has a 23% or 24.5% overdrive while the mid ratio is around 12%.  OK in a larger displacement 6 cylinder but making the over drive only really useful on the highway for a 4 cylinder. I use 5th all the time in town.

I have the 200sx guts in a 240 bell housing.. its a standard H and 5th gear is like really an overdrive

Gear .. it’s way over on the passenger seat almost.

What years 200sx and what 240....  z? or sx? If an sx the transmission would have a KA or Z series tilt to the right when bolted to an L series and indeed the shifter would be in the passenger's seat.

Many places hired translators that could speak asshole and translate it into much kinder way of saying” Please Give Me Your Money” they called them Service Writers, they acted as go-betweens with your mechanic and you. A book I found useful was The E-Myth by Michael Gerber to become an entrepreneur as a technician, I read it and lived happily ever-after.

• Like 2

I HAVE A 79 king cab l20b with a 5 speed. It has all been de smogged and legal in New Mexico. My concern is that 5 th bear really doesn’t seem to far difference than the 4th. Seems to whine out. I wish it had a further going and then it would be quieter at the higher speeds. Out here the norm on the freeways are 80-85 around town and 85 -95 outside of town. I cruise descent at 85 but after that is another story. Sometimes have to do 100+ just to get out of the way

You should have an 11.8% over drive so if at 4,000 in 4th... 5th would drop 472 RPM to 3,528

Top speed in all vehicles is limited primarily by wind resistance. Keep in mind that as speed increases wind resistance increases 4 times for every doubling of speed. Four times not double. If it takes 30 hp to drive along at 50 MPH it will take 120 hp to drive at 100 MPH. To make power a gasoline engine needs to rev up. It will make more power at 4000 than it will at 3,500. If you reduce the engine speed too much it will go faster in 4th revved up than in 5th at lower revs. This is called being power limited. Over drives are not intended to be used to go faster, only reduce engine revs at cruising speeds. Nissan engineers probably did the math and selected an over drive that will work fairly well with your 620.

If you can keep up with traffic I would just leave it as is. It's only noise, and an L20B red line is 6,500 RPM so you won't hurt it. You might go to a lot of trouble to go slower. Spend some money on sound deadner.

• Like 1