Sign in to follow this  
Madkaw

1983.5 4x4 - retirement truck

2 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

The larger 62mm bearing doesn't make it a C transmission. In the FS5W71C the internal bearings and shifter are upgraded, and the gears made wider for added strength. The front case is also different and a 71B case needs clearance machining and drilling besides boring to the larger the counter bearing to fit. Other than the '84 300sx (non turbo) the C was introduced in 86.5 in the, then in production, S12 200sx CA20E and CA18ET with a VG30E the next year '87, and the new replacement for the 720, the D21 Hard body with the Z24i and VG30i.  It was also in the '87 Vanette but useless as it was a remote or column shift 5 speed. The D21 also had a 4 speed 71C from '88 to half way through the '92 model year used on the Z24i and early KA24E engines.

There was never an L series 71C so what front do you have on it. Got a picture? It can only be a CA, VG, Z, KA. If not it was swapped.

I matched up the bell housing to a spare Z block - perfect match . So I do have a C trans?

That's because a KA and a Z series have the same orientation. OR it's a Z24i transmission from an '86.5-'90 D21 Hardbody or an '87-'90 Pathfinder. (forgot about the WD21 Pathfinder)

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

That's because a KA and a Z series have the same orientation. OR it's a Z24i transmission from an '86.5-'90 D21 Hardbody or an '87-'90 Pathfinder. (forgot about the WD21 Pathfinder)

You jogged  my memory -  he said it was an 89 z24i, so it’s a C

• Like 1

It is a C. All Cs have the larger counter bearing but Bs have large and small. A 71B with a larger bearing is still a B. That all.

16 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

It is a C. All Cs have the larger counter bearing but Bs have large and small. A 71B with a larger bearing is still a B. That all.

So it’s worth installing for sure . Out with the leaky B - in with C/B 

On 12/2/2019 at 1:09 PM, Madkaw said:

Anyone familiar with these shifters . It didn’t come with all its parts I believe . The snap ring should be holding some kind of washer down on top of that plastic bushing in the hole. Presently there is a gap and that snap ring won’t hold the bushing down in place. Don’t have he FSM for this year