1983.5 4x4 - retirement truck

Madkaw

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Finally got around to doing another valve adjustment . It did actually help a little with the rough idle . I also noticed that my sticker on the hood said .012 hot - though I’ve read on here 13 and 14 thou hot .

I still think the motor could be smoother , but unsure what could make that happen . Plugs all looked very well except one was a bit darker on #3 , but not enough to be concerned - yet . I feel ,or should I say smell that the motor is still burning a little oil as if the rings have still not seated all the way . I doubt I have 500 miles on it yet . I think a highway cruise might be in order for some prolonged heat in the engine . 
Excited to find a ported  EFI manifold for this engine . I’m going to fit the 200sx manifold on this so I can ditch the Weber . I’m going with Megasquirt EFI . I know there’s some other items that I will need to fab or acquire , but the manifold was the big thing . 

0-B40-E0-CD-9977-4-BB2-899-A-DF2707-A483

Edited by Madkaw
  • Like 2

Found the unicorn the other day for my truck. So programmable EFI is in the future for this truck. It’s amazing how much crap is on this intake and most of it will be coming off . I plan to run a fuel rail with 14mm injectors and run the engine with a speed density system, so just a MAP sensor and temp sensors . I will delete the EGR and run a different TPS . Basically make it like my Z . 

I will shape the the ports to match and notch my z24 head for injectors . I have a complete extra engine to mock up everything . I guess I will have to remote my PS pump -reservoir because it will be the way. 

74-AA2-B59-C6-DA-44-D3-A511-0-F5-A4-D932

• Like 1
7 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The 200sx that this came off of has PS so it should fit. Perhaps it had the remote reservoir on the fender.

MCUaJNk.jpg

Z24 head top that I notched for injectors. Did some polishing and porting also but never got around to finishing it.

I think there’s interference with the TB . Patrick Smith has done it. He placed the reservoir on he fender .

3 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

It would be very cool to upgrade to modern injectors and get rid of the fuel hoses between the fuel rail ad injectors. Would be nice to have a machined aluminum fuel rail too.

Like this ? 

7-F549548-22-EA-452-A-A03-D-E01-D819-B22

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Exactly like that. I would run push-lock AN fittings and some high pressure hose, but that's just because the stuff is so cheap these days. I'm sure the hoses and fittings you are using work just fine.

It was cheaper to do brass fitting and didn’t want to go down the AN rabbit hole on this build . Kind of like the brass and aluminum combo.

• Like 1

Kind of stumped here. Bought this “D21” trans that I thought was a 71C and I started cleaning it and found this. Did they make a 71b with a larger counter shaft bearing? Looks like the cover is pretty big . Plus I saw the 71 B #2 .

Pretty sure this was a 2WD  truck. 

Dont want to do all the work of upgrading and not be upgrading !

i did measure across the counter bearing cover the best I could. At the bottom of the radius it’s 67mm across, so I’m thinking it has the 63mm bearing ?

A6-D43-E93-7785-4-E4-D-B170-EF962-ABA23-

FEE51-BC4-611-F-4-F41-83-FC-C78-DC017-B9

Edited by Madkaw

I think I found my own answer . I searched and found on this site where Mike says that Nissan went to a bigger bearing in 84. I was told this came out of a late 80’s , but that’s what the seller said . So this is a bit of a unicorn ?

wasn’t the biggest gain of the 71C was larger bearing ? 

Edited by Madkaw

That and the rear countershaft bearing on my c is roller bearings vs ball. If you are doing the work I would find a genuine C. Also the shifter arrangement is different. I end up with unicorns machinery wise all the time and hate them. Finding a unicorn is difficult, finding parts for a unicorn, impossible.

The bellhousing is what makes the difference between the 71B and 71C. If it's got the larger bearing, it's a 71C. Probably best to remove the front cover and check the bearing size. Pay attention to the bolts that come out of the front cover. Sometimes one is longer. When re-installing the cover, use RTV on the bolt threads.

34 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

The bellhousing is what makes the difference between the 71B and 71C. If it's got the larger bearing, it's a 71C. Probably best to remove the front cover and check the bearing size. Pay attention to the bolts that come out of the front cover. Sometimes one is longer. When re-installing the cover, use RTV on the bolt threads.

That doesn’t make sense to me. What would the bell housing do with the type of gear box. Doesn’t the KA and Z motor bolt up the same way?

I thought I read here that it IS the bearing size that makes the difference . Too much stuff to get confused :0

Was there B’s that had the top load type shifter like this one? 

• Like 1

The larger 62mm bearing doesn't make it a C transmission. In the FS5W71C the internal bearings and shifter are upgraded, and the gears made wider for added strength. The front case is also different and a 71B case needs clearance machining and drilling besides boring to the larger the counter bearing to fit. Other than the '84 300sx (non turbo) the C was introduced in 86.5 in the, then in production, S12 200sx CA20E and CA18ET with a VG30E* the next year '87, and the new replacement for the 720, the D21 Hard body with the Z24i and VG30i engines.  It was also in the '87 Vanette but useless as it was a remote or column shift 5 speed. The D21 also had a 4 speed 71C from '88 to half way through the '92 model year used on the Z24i and early KA24E engines.

*This was the exact same engine used in the same year 300zx non turbo. It must have been fast.

There was never an L series 71C so what front do you have on it. Got a picture? It can only be a CA, VG, Z, KA. If not it was swapped.