1983.5 4x4 - retirement truck

Madkaw

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had my buddy sit in the truck and got his thoughts . He thought that maybe there’s an oil spot of some issue with the clutch disc that is causing this . It does happen when cold , but not as bad . It’s hard to re- creat the exact scenario .  I’m about ready to pull the trigger on the 71 C swap . I guess I’ll have a new clutch ready . Hope I don’t have a rear main seal leak or something that caused the contamination of the clutch - IF that’s the case . 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Madkaw said:

From a stop in first gear on a grade . I’m not giving any more throttle than normal .Drivetrain shudders and makes cab shudder . Clutch seems to engage and the truck moves fine . Hot spot on clutch ?

Lets eliminate the easy to get at things first. First gear has the highest multiplication of torque from the engine. With little effort it can twist the drive line components and suspension.

Inspect the two engine mounts are tight and the rubber isolators not torn. Do the same with the transmission mount. Check the transmission to engine mounting bolts are tight. (at some time the engine and or transmission may have been out for a clutch change and they have finally worked loose)

I would suspect the carrier bearing rubber isolater is rotted away. The bearing almost never fails but the center support rubber does and the drive shaft becomes unstable under load. This is more of a visual.

Check the U bolts are tight, leaf springs not broken and nothing loose.

Shocks tight.

Lug nuts tight

The shaking you describe could be clutch 'judder'. This can be oil on the clutch disc. (rarely) Usually the friction material has worn down to the rivets and is gouging into the flywheel. Parts broken from the disc or the pressure plate are interfering. The PP or the flywheel has high spots and need to be resurfaced or replaced. The clutch is simply worn out.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I went they your checklist Mike , can’t find anything - so  I’m assuming it’s the clutch .

Other problems are getting the AC going . I had two compressors and still couldn’t come up with a good one . I had one rebuilt and it quit after 3 mjnutes. The shop refunded my money but I’d rather ha e a working compressor . The shop said my other compressor was needing shaft seals and he couldn’t find any . I know nothing about AC . 
Thinking about going with a d21 compressor and d21 lines , but swap ends to match my trucks evaporator .
Any thoughts ?

• Like 1

85/86 720 compresores are the same as the early D21s.  Not sure if the bracket spacing for the belt will line up.  I put an 85 compressor and bracket on my L20B in my 66 520 and the crank pulley groove is about a 1/2" off.  Not sure if there is a difference in an 83.

8 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

85/86 720 compresores are the same as the early D21s.  Not sure if the bracket spacing for the belt will line up.  I put an 85 compressor and bracket on my L20B in my 66 520 and the crank pulley groove is about a 1/2" off.  Not sure if there is a difference in an 83.

The local JY has a d21 and the owner said I could take it off and try it . When it gets below 100 degrees I’ll go get it 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here in Phoenix it is monsoon season and the last 4 days have been under 100.  This is supposed to last for the next 7 days. 

I am taking advantage of it and working on a 521 I sold to Mauro about 2 years ago.  Doing a Mike Klotz front disc bake kit, rear brakes, new stainless steel gas line, and cleaning and mounting the stock tank. 

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I posted earlier that I had a popping noise when backing out of my driveway and it seemed to come from the front end . Well it was coming from there . I somehow didn’t get the transverse link nut right on the right side . I could move the washer behind the rubber bushing . I ended up getting about 5-6 turns on the nut . No more popping . I somehow missed this . 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

Sourcing the 83 Induction system would be hard here in Phoenix as the wrecking yards rarely have anything in the 80s.  Be nice if there was an online source for parts of this nature.

I think it’s hard to find anywhere . I put out a want ad on FB and someone let one go.  He was a 510 guy that decided not to use it . It cost me 200$ - but it will be worth it 

• Like 1

Woohoo- finally have AC ! This was a more about doing the change over from non-AC truck to an AC truck and making it work . It took a lot of work so it was nice to see it thru . 
I had to jump thru a lot of hoops and it cost more than I liked , but so had everything else I’ve done on this truck - lol. 
It is supposed to be 90 degrees this weekend so I will be testing the AC for sure.

• Like 1

Well this week my wife leaves for a about 5 days so it’s TIMEEEEEEEEE,

for the Weber to go down . Hope I have all my ducks in a row . The truck is really running well right now - so it’s time to screw it up :-0

I have all the wiring ready on both the truck and the intake , so I should only have to connect the ends - kind of . 
I will also be going with a remote reservoir for the PS at the same time . Lots of things could go wrong with this much on the to do list . 
Ive decided to stay with just 4 spark plugs for now . I’m running just the intake plugs and lots of timing which the engine seems to like . 

I will post the progress with some pics - even the sketchy shit I do - and there will be some - stay tuned . 

• Like 2

Well I dived right on in this morning . The remote reservoir is in . Not pretty and don’t like all the hoses going everywhere at this point . I’m hoping it will be temporary until I get electric steering . 
The intake has given me a few issues right off the bat . It takes up more room than I like up front . The coolant routing changes for all hoses but one . The power steering bracket gets in the way for my set up . I had to cut it to clear my temp sensor . 
The throttle cable is too short . 
Still have to notch the intake for injectors - sketchy :-0

A5110BB8-70E8-4712-B999-37C7D0FC2909.jpeg

A34E4843-CC84-49B4-8535-DB47D0D87CFB.jpeg

03511BC3-336B-4607-83B8-802E467442AB.jpeg

• Like 1