1983.5 4x4 - retirement truck

Madkaw

4 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

The difference in the 2 wd and the 4 wd steering boxes are the pitman arms.  The boxes are the same.

I think I also read that the boxes were the same all the way into the D21 models ?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had a difficult time finding one for my 85 720. I ordered one from Autozone but it ended up being the wrong one. I got lucky and got a used one off of another truck to work. I seem to remember a site that sold rebuilt ones but can't remember where. They wanted like $350 for them if I remember correctly.

Rock Auto usually claims they have them in stock but if you look at the photos you will see that it is not the correct one. The ones they carry may be for the D21? Might be easier to get new hoses made that fit the compressor everyone stocks with the single bolt that holds the hoses on. Those seem to be easy to find and they fit perfectly. I may do that if/when my old compressor fails.

Edited by powderfinger
  • Like 1

I believe in the after market, anything designated as an '86 defaults to the later D21 Hardbody when ordering parts. Build dates for the 720 from June to November '85 are technically '86 model years. If ordering from the Nissan dealer the build date on the truck would avoid this blunder.

• Like 1

I had an ‘88 Subaru a couple of years ago that I could not find an a/c compressor for. I found a company that I sent my old compressor to and they rebuilt it and sent it back to me. Worked great.  That might be an option.

• Like 1

So I have a miss when I run all 8 plugs . It’s a little pop at the tail pipe that I can hear at idle . It’s erratic - not constant .  Don’t feel it or hear it when driving around . Kind of annoying that all the work to get the other 4 plugs firing and now I have a miss. I pulled all the exhaust spark plug and they looked perfect burn . 
The engine has always had a tick and never idled as smooth as I would like . Also I get oil around the plug on #4 exhaust . I think there is a bad guide or something with this head . I need to rebuild another one to have ready for EFI - so maybe that will fix it . 

• Like 1

Single plug operation will have an ignition advance of around 10-120. Dual plugs, two ignition points, will shorten the burn time so ignition timing will need to be more retarded. Stock Z24 is 50 +- 20

• Like 1

So the compressor was wrong 😡

I found a shop that said they can rebuild mine . I sent them both of my boat anchors and hope to get one good one out of the pair . 
I let everyone know how it turns out .

Ive about decided to stay with a single plug operation . I don’t want to spend the time to figure out why the engine misses with both coil packs . Maybe later I will revisit this .With full control of spark I have no fear to design a timing curve for this engine . I will post up my timing table once I am confident if the curves . 

• Like 2

Okay - have kind of a weird issue - weird because I can’t figure out what’s happening. 

The drivetrain chatters when pulling up a hill from a dead stop . It only seems to happen when the engine is hot . The chatter makes the whole cab shake and groan . I’m always suspicious of these transmissions since they break all the time , but don’t know what would cause that chatter with a trans . There’s no real noise associated with it . It doesn’t seem to happen when I first drive the truck . 
Clutch doesn’t feel like it’s slipping at any other time while driving - so I don’t believe it’s the clutch . 
I know these trucks have their inherit issues so I’m hoping someone else dealt with this . 

• Like 1

What is the EPS out of?  I have one from a 2009 Nissan Versa I am going to install in my 84 720 2wd King Cab ST.  Enventually I will get one in my 86 720 2wd King Cab and my 66 520.

For me that is a winter project.

13 hours ago, Madkaw said:

Okay - have kind of a weird issue - weird because I can’t figure out what’s happening. 

The drivetrain chatters when pulling up a hill from a dead stop . It only seems to happen when the engine is hot . The chatter makes the whole cab shake and groan . I’m always suspicious of these transmissions since they break all the time , but don’t know what would cause that chatter with a trans . There’s no real noise associated with it . It doesn’t seem to happen when I first drive the truck . 
Clutch doesn’t feel like it’s slipping at any other time while driving - so I don’t believe it’s the clutch . 
I know these trucks have their inherit issues so I’m hoping someone else dealt with this . 

From a stop? Is this only as the clutch engages? or only first gear? or all the way up hill in any gear??

Is the throttle moderate or heavy and to the floor?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

From a stop? Is this only as the clutch engages? or only first gear? or all the way up hill in any gear??

From a stop in first gear on a grade . I’m not giving any more throttle than normal .Drivetrain shudders and makes cab shudder . Clutch seems to engage and the truck moves fine . Hot spot on clutch ?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I need to try and make this happen when the drivetrain is cold . I’m assuming this is when things are hot - but I only back down my driveway . Don’t do much grade climbs cold 

• Like 1