1983.5 4x4 - retirement truck

Madkaw

So the motor I took out and this one I have now both seem very grunge with oil on the outside . I would guess it is a front oil seal mostly , but not familiar with these engines . Did they have front main seal issues? My 71 z is very good about front seals , maybe more problematic about the rear main . Or maybe no one changes the PCV on these motors which causes excess pressure ?

I don’t want to redo every gasket on this motor , but front main isn’t bad on the stand .

• Like 1
  • Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So started the process of taking the time to look at my new found motor. Found a few things concerning and typical for a motor this old with no known history . Found RTV in several places like the carb gasket and intake manifold. Maybe chasing vacuum leaks? So I started removing parts so I could scrub the motor down before installing . Found this in number 4 valve. Maybe the gasket wasn’t keeping coolant out ? The cylinder is clean and this valve was fully closed when I got the motor. Remember it’s been sitting for years . As nasty as it looks, I think it will be okay because it is closed.

Also pictured is the spacer for the carb, never seen one like this in my searching . Any comments.?

Found another 720 in a yard close by- ST with AC. Might have to steal some parts off of it! I’d try and get the PW but from what I read the doors are made for them, and my doors are rust free , so don’t think that will happen.

84_CFD5_B4-03_AE-4_E31-_B09_D-8_D83_F78_

CE84_DC10-_A50_D-427_D-987_F-103_E13_F9_

• Like 1

Welcome clean truck.

If that ST with the power windows and locks has good door panells let me know what the yard needs for them and if they are willing to ship to AZ.  I need the complete power door panel with the switches and wiring.

The door panels looked okay for a truck that has no windshield . One side the pouch was half torn. Not sure what you would consider usable, might need some work. I’d be glad to take a pic for you and ask Chuck what we wants for them . Looked like all the switches were there.

• Like 1

That would be great.  Pictures and if he is willing to ship?  Not so much interestes in the cos metics as long as the fiber board is good for reupholstery.  You are correct the electric doors are completely different in the inner panel.

Thank you.

That would be great.  Pictures and if he is willing to ship?  Not so much interestes in the cos metics as long as the fiber board is good for reupholstery.  You are correct the electric doors are completely different in the inner panel.

Thank you.

Cards are junk- got too wet

These engines use  air warmed by the exhaust manifold when started up cold. This helps them evaporate the fuel and run better during the warm up period. The little elbow is to help the air turn and not 'rub' the still cold intake and cool off.

These engines use  air warmed by the exhaust manifold when started up cold. This helps them evaporate the fuel and run better during the warm up period. The little elbow is to help the air turn and not 'rub' the still cold intake and cool off.

Thanks for that info. The one I pulled from my other motor had the elbows on both sides of the carb ! Not sure if it is an earlier or later engine than the one that cam with the truck.

So should I run this with the Weber carb?

Reading about the stock air bonnet and it’s heat valve I kind of thought it would of worked well . I might actually adapt the air bonnet to the Weber to aid in cold starts .

• Like 1

Taking all the front suspension bits to the sandblasted and maybe powder coating , need to price it. I have Por-15 to paint everything , but powder coat sure sounds easy :)

Taking the best bits from the two engines I have now. The original Nevada engine parts clean up so well. Had a cheap water pump with steel empeller , hoping the other engine still has the cast type. Got a complete engine gasket kit and will replace most gaskets before dropping in.

Well this is turning into a resto quickly . It’s going to be taking a back seat to a 280z coming next week - from Nevada. It’s just been a Nevada year I guess.

• Like 2

Making progress !

I have my list together for all those damn clips that had to come out to paint the engine compartment . So glad you can still get these.

The battery tray came from a local JY, and it needed some repair but it was usable. Inner fenders were pitted around that area , but overall everything was in good shape .

Another 720 just popped up at a local yard so I need to snatch a windshield and stuff .

Got my borescope out and peeked inside my trans and it all looked good !!!

My replacement engine is shaping up too!

I’ll post more pics

• Like 2

Taking all the front suspension bits to the sandblasted and maybe powder coating , need to price it. I have Por-15 to paint everything , but powder coat sure sounds easy :)

Taking the best bits from the two engines I have now. The original Nevada engine parts clean up so well. Had a cheap water pump with steel empeller , hoping the other engine still has the cast type. Got a complete engine gasket kit and will replace most gaskets before dropping in.

Well this is turning into a resto quickly . It’s going to be taking a back seat to a 280z coming next week - from Nevada. It’s just been a Nevada year I guess.

Powder coat is nice but I tend to paint my parts do to the cost of powder coating plus if I need to touch up the paint I can.  Powder coat is much nore durable.

I have a guy I’ve been dealing with for years and does work cheap . I paid 90$ to have all my parts sandblasted - about 25 pieces- and another 100$ for powder coating. It’s not worth my time to do that stuff at that rate . I still have pieces to paint , but I’ll Por -15 that stuff

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had some luck at the junk yard today. Actually I just opened my eyes. I had crawled over this 720 probably 5 times and never really looked closely at front fenders. They are almost perfect and have factory( I think) over flares in great shape . Now to see if I can find the rear flares to match. 

Yes i snatched them for 50$ each! 

The best part was one fender had it’s marker light in perfect shape . I found the other inside the cab under the seat - in great condition. 

Still a long way to go, but this saved me hours of body work and frustration of aftermarket junk

• Like 1