Draker

Draker's 1972 1200 Sedan - "The Pickle"

final product. After getting it in the car I gave the engine a shake by hand and heard some clunks. Sounds like the pan hitting the crossmember. I tossed some shims in the mounts and it seems to be good now. I’ll check it on a test drive. Worst case I weld a shim into the mount. I think it’ll be fine though. Not sure why this didn’t come up in my many test fits.

5EB96E92-B334-4297-ABFF-AAE9ACCFE04F.jpg
5D5B379D-152B-4851-A067-436B7924F3D1.jpg

• Like 2

got a few more hours in the garage today so I put the drive line in, installed the exhaust hanger, bolted down the engine mounts. Then I started it up and checked the status of the wobble. I was able to get it up to about 70mph without the vibration. The drive line sounded like it was flopping around at lower speeds but I'm guessing that's because there was no load it. Also I thing the bearing in the tail of the transmission might be a little worn. I can wiggle the yoke a bit.. maybe its normal. Just seems a bit too loose. This the press fit solid bearing in the transmission. I'm sure that's impossible to get these days.

After I got that going I did a bit of welding to fix the T/C rod cup and a crack on the front of the frame rail near the T/C rod.

A6FFB48A-4CCB-4E5C-9356-6BFBAD086244.jpg

4C598829-4AD0-4CA9-8912-501C42F307E6.jpg

C247C047-FFEC-4A18-822C-45CCE1926FE2.jpg

Edited by Draker

On 9/12/2020 at 9:29 PM, Draker said:

I attempted to do one mount at a time and test fit.. that was a huge pain in the ass.

If anyone is going to do this mod in the future, the best way to attack it is exactly how @datsunfreak described earlier. The correct way is to just put a spacer between the crossmember and oil pan. Center and level the engine, install the mounts with the crossmember towers bolted on. Good idea to raise the engine about 1/8 - 1/4" higher than you'd like because the rubber mounts will compress. Tack the towers in place. Remove the crossmember, weld it in permanently. Reinstall and check your measurements.

Next is to pull it out again and paint it. I'd love to powder it but I'll probably do that someday when/if I actually restore the car.

Damn, that's a lot of work to do an A14 swap. Does look very stock though.

My old redneck ass just use to do them with about 20 minutes and a couple pieces of angle iron or barstock and call it good. 🤣

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Dguy210 said:

Damn, that's a lot of work to do an A14 swap. Does look very stock though.

My old redneck ass just use to do them with about 20 minutes and a couple pieces of angle iron or barstock and call it good. 🤣

yeah I can appreciate what the previous owner was trying to do. The driveshaft angles were completely fucked though. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Draker said:

yeah I can appreciate what the previous owner was trying to do. The driveshaft angles were completely fucked though. 

Modding the crossmember really is the more elegant way to do it. Basically, you made a 1980+ 1200 ute crossmember.