Draker's 1972 1200 Sedan - "The Pickle"

Draker

This thing needs an altitude adjustment.. and maybe upgrade the front brakes. Are most people just lowering the front perch? coils?

Looked over 1200 wiki, and there appears to be a few options. thoughts?

I'm just building whole new units for inverted struts.

That way I can get all sorts of insert lengths. 

• Like 3
  • Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pics of your setup?

Anything useful i can steal from a b310?

nothing I am willing to visually display yet. Still engineering my setup on S-Works. Trying to make the setup interchangeable for 8" front suspension off-road travel to paved track.

Its not borrowing from any of the Datsun models but should work with our front systems.

• Like 3

Draker,

On your steering column bushing....How difficult was that to do in the car?  We did one on the green coupe but the column was out.  We used mostly heat and destruction.

• Like 1

Draker,

On your steering column bushing....How difficult was that to do in the car?  We did one on the green coupe but the column was out.  We used mostly heat and destruction.

I guess I got lucky. I just used a punch to unstake it. Then used the punch and pb blaster to spin it out. The new one just went in easy. I staked it, and done

• Like 3

Anything useful i can steal from a b310?

Actually, everything.   ^_^

If you use the entire front suspension it is a minor brake upgrade, though struts are still a bit long. 

If you use the control arms, T/C rods, ball joints, steering knuckles, and ties rods (everything but the struts), this will allow you to bolt on 280ZX struts. Then you get more lows and way bigger brakes, at the expense of needing 14" wheels. 

Everything from the B310 bolts right on (as a complete set), but everything on a B310 is a fair bit beefier than the 1200 bits. 

• Like 4

I've bleed it 3 times. Replaced master once. Could be some air in there still.

I one man bleed it with a hose.. so flushed tons of fluid through it. And yes I bench bled the master.

Gonna go put some miles on it today.

• Like 1

Actually, everything.   ^_^

If you use the entire front suspension it is a minor brake upgrade, though struts are still a bit long. 

If you use the control arms, T/C rods, ball joints, steering knuckles, and ties rods (everything but the struts), this will allow you to bolt on 280ZX struts. Then you get more lows and way bigger brakes, at the expense of needing 14" wheels. 

Everything from the B310 bolts right on (as a complete set), but everything on a B310 is a fair bit beefier than the 1200 bits.

I went with the 280zx struts and brakes (advised by DF) using '80 Datsun 210 control arms, ball joints, T/C rods and 7/8" master from a 280z. I love the setup. Very firm pedal and massive stopping power. To get the ride height that I wanted, I went with T3 coilovers with 150lbs/in (a bit soft but oh well). Also using T3 camber plates to get a bit more camber. I turned the camber plates 120 degrees to get more caster. The car feels pretty stable.

• Like 1

no longer have the double pump action, but it's just not good stopping power if needed.

I hate to tell you, but it's not going to get any better. They NEED upgraded brakes. 

Hell, if you don't want to swap in all the B310 bits you could just use the mklotz big brake kit on your stock struts. That's what's on my car right now...

For now...   ^_^

went with T3 coilovers with 150lbs/in (a bit soft but oh well). 

Well, the car is very light, and the stock springs are like 68 lbs, so...    :P

• Like 2

I have 280zx struts. Was just concerned about the unsprung weight. 

As was I. On a 1200 it's a more substantial gain than a 510. I will do it some day, but there's already way to much cool stuff on my 1200 struts to ditch them now.

Maybe once I wear out these pads/rotors I will plan to make the switch... 

• Like 2

Well the 1200 wiki says you can keep the 11/16 master with 280zx struts, so I might do that. I also have some 4 lug maxima struts.. so I could go that route as well.

I went with the 280zx struts and brakes (advised by DF) using '80 Datsun 210 control arms, ball joints, T/C rods and 7/8" master from a 280z. I love the setup. Very firm pedal and massive stopping power. To get the ride height that I wanted, I went with T3 coilovers with 150lbs/in (a bit soft but oh well). Also using T3 camber plates to get a bit more camber. I turned the camber plates 120 degrees to get more caster. The car feels pretty stable.

Will probably do something similar to this.. either Maxima struts or 280zx. Have both. T3 top hats and camber plates, not sure on springs. Ground control or ebay springs perhaps.

• Like 2

Good plan on the non pillow tires, one turn to the right and yer fender gets a bit folded. :thumbup:

13's or 14's?

I noticed it's a bit folded already.. someone probably already found this out.

These are 14's. I will be running a 185/60r14 with maybe a little stretch, not sure how it will fit on the wheel.

• Like 1

Pretty sure that is the size I have on the grey car but the offset looks a little wonky.  Like it may still have some rub?

We'll fine out. I tested on the front, not the rear. I'll be into the tires pretty cheap so not harm. I can use them on my dimes.

• Like 2