510 Wagon - exact position of upper rear seat hinge ?

Eriks

Hi, I have a two seater 510 Wagon that never had a rear seat installed. 

Now I want to install a rear seat, but since my car never had it before, there are no rear upper seat hinge on the inner well. 

Though I have a set of hinges cut from a donor car overseas, and I want to weld them in place. 

Can anybody advice me their exact position?   (measurements from nearby structures etc )

Appreciate all help, thanks. 

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 710 but the rear seat latch at up even with shoulder height and are screwed on to the body well above the wheel well by over a decimeter. I always thought the 510s would be the same.  Can you not just position the seat and latch and mark it, then weld or bolt it on? 

Do you have a picture?

Kelmo, thanks that would be great.

Datzenmike, sorry perhaps I'm using the wrong words to describe. The red photo shows the seat hinge I'm talking about. The brown one is my car, with no hinge. 

Now, when looking at these photos I notice a wart on my wheel well. Perhaps it is there on purpose, so to weld the hinge on correctly ...hmm

On the red car there is also a wart, in line with the top of the hinge ... 

28828671_10155943026155733_3046633423253

28828800_10155943028130733_5962032657860

How about these......

q52Na2O.jpg

YrnHfiP.jpg

SRIGK3P.jpg

I am thinking the only way to really get accurate measurements would be to remove the brackets and do a pencil outline rub. This would be easy to do on the top brackets. For the bottom ones I would need to remove the seat back and that would take 2 people.

The top of the bottom pivot bracket pretty much lines up with the rear deck/floorboard. could not get a real good pic of that. If I can get the seat back out, maybe I can get a better view.

• Like 2

Kelmo, I really appreciate that you took the time. The photos and your comments are great, and I think it might be good for finding the exact spot. Im thinking it might be an idea to mount the upper hinges first, then push the upper seat into them, so to verify the height of the lower hinges. We’ll see what is the best way after cutting away the trunk area. Hopefully Ill have the time next week. Ill share some photos when I do. Thanks again :)

PS: When the rear seat is locked by the upper hinge, is the upper hinge pushed up a lot, or is it more or less in the same position as in the photo above?

• Like 1

OK, I looked....no pics tho.  Will get them if you need them.  The catch part of the mechanism raises up when you "close" the seat back.  If you look at the pics in post # 10, the catch is in the same position when the seat back is closed into it or when the seat back is folded down.  The only time it moves is when the seat back is closed, other than that it stay in the same position.

If that wasn't confusing enough just let me know and I will ramble some more.

• Like 1

OK, I looked....no pics tho.  Will get them if you need them.  The catch part of the mechanism raises up when you "close" the seat back.  If you look at the pics in post # 10, the catch is in the same position when the seat back is closed into it or when the seat back is folded down.  The only time it moves is when the seat back is closed, other than that it stay in the same position.

If that wasn't confusing enough just let me know and I will ramble some more.

Thanks, the description is perfect. No photos needed :)