521 KYB gas-a-just shocks?

d.p

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am glad someone brought this up. I re-indexed my 521 with a 4" block drop in the back, my issue is the platform where the u-bolts connect now rubs on the inner tire sidewall (stock size tires) on bumpy roads or light bed load conditions. I am thinking it just needs shocks and was looking into KYB but has anyone else had this issue? Will I possibly need spacers too?

• Like 2

If it rubs on bumps, newer shocks will perhaps require a harder bump to rub, but it will rub still. There are no shortage of bumps out there. New or firmer shocks will not prevent bub, it may however reduce it.

Can you space the rim outward safely without rubbing the inside of the fender? Narrower tires would also work.

• Like 1

Hey Mike,

Yes, I have approx 2" of space between the tire and inner bed wheel well. I had already purchased universal wheel spacers at the local auto parts but they did not fit so I have to return them. I guess I was headed in the right direction?

• Like 1

I am glad someone brought this up. I re-indexed my 521 with a 4" block drop in the back, my issue is the platform where the u-bolts connect now rubs on the inner tire sidewall (stock size tires) on bumpy roads or light bed load conditions. I am thinking it just needs shocks and was looking into KYB but has anyone else had this issue? Will I possibly need spacers too?

No the 4" drop is causing the bottom plate to hit tire. Either offset or bigger wheel. Shocks aint fixing that problem.

• Like 1

You may need longer studs going this route.

This is a whole different game to accomplish with a 521.

I just did mine. It wasn't too bad. I did them on the truck and had to drill holes in the drum brake backing plates. I used the old lug nuts with the flat side facing in to drive them in, with a little grease on the back side of the nut for lube, and they went in no problem.

• Like 1

I just did mine. It wasn't too bad. I did them on the truck and had to drill holes in the drum brake backing plates. I used the old lug nuts with the flat side facing in to drive them in, with a little grease on the back side of the nut for lube, and they went in no problem.

Did you cut the notches out?

• Like 1