charge a battery :(

Hello friends.

I need your help. My datsun 710 has a problem in charging the battery.

In the morning it did not start, I thought that the battery had been discharged, something strange.

I thought it was the battery and what I went through the multimeter, started. I checked the voltage, something like 11.88v.

So, I checked he alternator.

I connected an alternator cable to the battery but it does not charge.

I do not have a voltage regulator.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does not start is vague.

Does the starter turn the engine or not?

The alternator can't read that if the battery reads 11.88 so was this with the engine running? 

ALL 710s had external voltage regulators, unless converted to a later internal regulated alternator.

Start by cleaning and tightening both the battery posts, and the cables.

Behind the washer reservoir you'll find the fusible links. Check that they are not burned and are conducting.

• Like 1

You can pull the alternator and have it bench tested at most auto stores. It's clear the alternator is not charging. Either because it's broken, or its not turning on because no voltage on the wire running to the charge lamp.

You can pull the alternator and have it bench tested at most auto stores. It's clear the alternator is not charging. Either because it's broken, or its not turning on because no voltage on the wire running to the charge lamp.

Thanks for your reply.

It's curious. on the board does not turn on the "charge" focus. I did not see it.

Another thing, the wired carry 12.x to 13.x, but when I try to check on the battery posts, it goes down to 11.x

Does not start is vague.

Does the starter turn the engine or not?

The alternator can't read that if the battery reads 11.88 so was this with the engine running? 

ALL 710s had external voltage regulators, unless converted to a later internal regulated alternator.

Behind the washer reservoir you'll find the fusible links. Check that they are not burned and are conducting.

Thanks for your reply.

the car turns on, it takes, but it does.

I think they changed the alternator. That's why it has no voltage regulator.
I cleaned the posts.

I'll check the fuses.

Alternator should put out 14.4Vdc. If you are getting 12.something, you will need to fix or most likely replace your alternator. A couple of bolts away from driving again.

Thanks for your reply.

The wired carry 12.x to 13.x, but when I try to check on the battery posts, it goes down to 11.x.

Any suggestions

Clean the posts and cables. All charging has to go through them and the fusible links to get to the battery.

Your voltage regulator is behind the black box with the washer reservoir mounted on the side, located just behind the battery on the passenger side inner fender. It's not visible.

So

Has this charging system ever worked properly??? I'm asking if this is a new problem or has it always been there, or you haven't had the car long enough to know?????

Have you replaced the alternator???

• Like 1

Clean the posts and cables. All charging has to go through them and the fusible links to get to the battery.

Your voltage regulator is behind the black box with the washer reservoir mounted on the side, located just behind the battery on the passenger side inner fender. It's not visible.

So

Has this charging system ever worked properly??? I'm asking if this is a new problem or has it always been there, or you haven't had the car long enough to know?????

The charging system works fine. Until yesterday.

Now uncharge the battery to 3.xV.

Then  everything is connected properly and something has failed.

This will cost nothing to do. Always do the cheap, simple, easy things first.

• Like 1

Then everything is connected properly and something has failed.

I removed all the fuses and the battery starts to recover the voltage.

The battery charger is failing and I use another car to start.

Only leave the ignition fuses.

Then  everything is connected properly and something has failed.

I'll wait then....

I think it will shut off if you pull the plug out of the back of the alternator. Watch your fingers!

Now it sounds like an internally regulated alternator was swapped into your car

Have YOU or anyone else changed the alternator????

Hello friends

Thanks for your help. The alternator was changed about 10 years ago. For some of GM, it brings its regulator included, so nothing else comes out of the positive and the signal to "charge" in the cluster.

Apparently the age of the wiring caused the problem. The cable broke and I did not notice it.

However, it is already.

The problem was the cable (white-red) and I replaced it with the yellow that is seen in the foreground.

And, that is the alternator. I know that the original is a Prestolite, but I want to finish repairing the harness.

an extra doubt. Do you know the color of the cable that handles the hazzard light?

There are lots of wires in the hazard lights circuit.

It's better to describe what is not working on it. No flashing?

Swap the turn signal flasher unit with the hazard one. If it starts working then the hazard unit is bad.

Do the turn signals work? If yes then the wiring and bulbs are OK.

Try turning the hazard switch on and off several ties. It rarely gets used and may be tarnished.