From France to USA : help please!

oukippy

because I'm suspicious by nature :-)

Is Vin number supposed to be unique?

Because I don't understand how the same car can be for sale in 2 different places (Virginia and Texas), with the same Texas plate and 2 different Vin:

http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/datsun/314271-1978-datsun-620-deluxe-pickup.html

http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/datsun/271935-datsun-620-king-cab.html

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe its a auction what that site is.

Its going to be hard for people on here to help you doing this. This is Ratsun.net and 50% of the people on here are below average and they dont even have their Datsun running themselves and dont have any money to fix it. Yet alone get them to help you.  The Person owning the Datsun thinks its worth a million dollars and Person buying it think its worth $500 since it has rust and last owner didnt take care of it. See what Im saying.

And trusting soemone over the internet is very risky .

Buy the LandcruiserPickup  its assembled in Portugal. Alot closer to France

Hello guys,

I'm back with fresh news from the 620 in Salem. I had it inspected. The car is running well, the engine is ok, the owner has worked on it because the car seems to have been left without running for a long time (he had to change everything between the full tank and the carburator).

Obviously there is a little bit of rust on it and I will definitively be happy to have some experts eyes looking at the pictures I've received to evaluate if it's a real big issue.

Pictures are here :

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/608gqgob2fr5mb8/AABuPetZ9r3L_zE8TsIDOl1na?dl=0

There is also a video but in French of course:

https://youtu.be/_cPbyWcNu9A

My main concern is about rust on the following picture, because in the video you can see that there is an hole when he touches it. I wonder if it will possible to repair it before painting.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/608gqgob2fr5mb8/AABuPetZ9r3L_zE8TsIDOl1na?dl=0&preview=P1130813.jpg

Thank you very much for your opinion !

Best regards,

runppy

About the rust on the bed, I suspect the rust to go through so you will need to cut and patch. To do so, drill out the spot welds first. If my memory serves me right, you will have to move the bed to get to the front welds.

My other concern is the battery tray. Again, drill the spot welds of the tray then fix accordingly.

Nice find. Remove the canopy, change the seals and the center tie rod link. Fix the body, paint it and enjoy your ride!

• Like 1

Hello guys,

I’m still searching for a 620 because I’m starting to think that the red one is too rusty to pass the Smog in France.

I’ve found another one in Seattle, not a King Cab obviously but I can live with that :

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/6559539951.html

I have some technical questions :

1. Is it a big job to replace the exhaust manifold ?
  2. Concerning the big front bumper and the bumper bars on the side (I hope it’s the correct word in English) : is it a stock option ? Do you know if it’s glued or screwed (If I take the car, I will probably remove them) ?
  3. Tires are 195/70/R14. Is it possible to find nice wheels for them or should I consider replacing them ?
  4. Where can I find everything concerning 620’s wheels replacement (bolt pattern , offset, etc.) ? and lowering tutorial ?

Thanks !!!

• Like 1

I say its not easy to replace replace the exhaust manifold on the later L motors . Lots of smog stuff on there. Its hard to get at the bolts intake exhaust bolts. Some people can do it. On early Datsun its easier and I do it all the time.

wheels are easy to find in the USA as they are the same for a GeneralMotors truck 6 lug.

Bumber I would take off also look ugly. It could be welded or Bolted on the front frame? wE DONT KNOW BY LOOKING AT THE PITURE.

That truck is kinda near me.(very south seattle)

• Like 1

Do you mean safety inspection instead of smog? I don't think rust and smog inspection is the same. I'm not even sure if you will find an old datsun that will pass smog? Most of what I've seen and I've seen hundreds, the smog stuff have been taken out, modified, etc. Maybe there's a smog cut off year? Like here in California, 75 and below don't have to be smog. Is that the same is France?

• Like 1

I asked him some questions and he answered quickly :

1. Is it the original paint ? Original paint
  2. Are the tires new? Tires are new except for one of the back ones.
    Why are you selling it ?
    Selling cause I have too many cars I’m working on at the same time.
  3. Rust issues ? It might have very small rust spot somewhere but it’s pretty rust free on all the body and bed.
  4. paint color number ? Need to check.
  5. short or long bed ? long bed.
  6. disk brakes ? Front disc brakes rear drums.
  7. how is the floor under the carpets ? Paint is chipped on passenger side-no rust / Driver side in perfect condition.
  8. why is a basin under your engine on one picture?
  9. I have a new drain plug for it but haven’t replaced it so it slowly has a small drip from time to time and don’t want my drive way messed up. I will try to get you more photos soon.
I was thinking about asking him if he could replace the exhaust manifold (and drain plug). In your opinion, what is a regular price for doing it ?

Banzai510, I will continue to discuss with the seller but would you eventually be ok to check the car for me ? I would be happy to offer you some beer as suggested by someone in this tread (or French wine if you prefer :thumbup:  )
  • Like 1

Do you mean safety inspection instead of smog? I don't think rust and smog inspection is the same. I'm not even sure if you will find an old datsun that will pass smog? Most of what I've seen and I've seen hundreds, the smog stuff have been taken out, modified, etc. Maybe there's a smog cut off year? Like here in California, 75 and below don't have to be smog. Is that the same is France?

I'm not familiar with smog in fact. In France everything is checked : engine, body, electric systems, brakes, air pollution. The regulation is becoming harder in may and that's why I'm not sure about the red 620 (probably too much rust for safety aspect). Fortunately the classic cars (more then 30 years old in France) have a simplified inspection, except for diesel engines which are more or less banned from classic cars (if I understood correctly as it will be effective next month).

• Like 1

replacing the exhaust manifold is a pain in the ass and will cost a lot of money for someone to do. Espcially if its not ones car.

I prefer NOT to be involved with middle men siuations like this and will stay out of it.  Sorry. To many things that can go bad on this.They go bad here just with people near me(its a Datsun thing)

You want a better 620 get a 78/79 and pay above 4ooo and youll be OK.

I would only offer that seller maybe 2ooo myself as I don't need a truck and its not a color I like.  The manifold said needs to be replaced but really I cant see what goes wrong with them besides the O ring gasket might leak.  I guess they may crack But I haven't heard of them cracking.

• Like 1

I'm not familiar with smog in fact. In France everything is checked : engine, body, electric systems, brakes, air pollution. The regulation is becoming harder in may and that's why I'm not sure about the red 620 (probably too much rust for safety aspect). Fortunately the classic cars (more then 30 years old in France) have a simplified inspection, except for diesel engines which are more or less banned from classic cars (if I understood correctly as it will be effective next month).

...then get familiar with smog requirement....will be pathetic if you buy a vehicle, spent the money, shipped it all the way,to France,and would not pass visual, smog or safety. Do your homework prior to?
  • Like 1

replacing the exhaust manifold is a pain in the ass and will cost a lot of money for someone to do. Espcially if its not ones car.

I prefer NOT to be involved with middle men siuations like this and will stay out of it.  Sorry. To many things that can go bad on this.They go bad here just with people near me(its a Datsun thing)

You want a better 620 get a 78/79 and pay above 4ooo and youll be OK.

I would only offer that seller maybe 2ooo myself as I don't need a truck and its not a color I like.  The manifold said needs to be replaced but really I cant see what goes wrong with them besides the O ring gasket might leak.  I guess they may crack But I haven't heard of them cracking.

OK I understand your point of view concerning middle men situations, no problem. I've found one with good mechanic but rusty and one with bad engine without rust. Maybe the third will be the One !

...then get familiar with smog requirement....will be pathetic if you buy a vehicle, spent the money, shipped it all the way,to France,and would not pass visual, smog or safety. Do your homework prior to?

My mistake, I wanted to say that I'm not familiar with the smog in USA, not in France.

• Like 1

Take ur time and do it right.

I would wait and find the right truck. Little to no rust, and as close to stock as you can find. That Seattle truck looks nice, but the sunroof is a killer.. I would probably pass just because of that.

These trucks are common around the area as you can see. Patience is key, you'll find one.

• Like 2