Gas Mileage

Bstock

The biggest problem we had at our shop had with the A-14 was opening the hood to find they re-engineered it with aftermarket parts and reduced it's 85HP to 50 so we simply converted back to OE parts to get back to 85HP, I don't know if you can still buy OE but we even found the factory Hitachi wires where better than the NGK

The other big problem was people used a carpet sample as a floor mat reducing the throttle to 3/4 so I grabbed the gas peddle on my test drive and pulled it up towards me about 2" and check for full throttle back at the shop.

If people wanted to pay I would dyno tune the carb, using the next size bigger main jet, I had a box full, and quicken up the secondaries bending the lock out tab on the throttle shaft a bunch, which I liked better than the Webbor

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest problem we had at our shop had with the A-14 was opening the hood to find they re-engineered it with aftermarket parts and reduced it's 85HP to 50 so we simply converted back to OE parts to get back to 85HP, I don't know if you can still buy OE but we even found the factory Hitachi wires where better than the NGK

The other big problem was people used a carpet sample as a floor mat reducing the throttle to 3/4 so I grabbed the gas peddle on my test drive and pulled it up towards me about 2" and check for full throttle back at the shop.

If people wanted to pay I would dyno tune the carb, using the next size bigger main jet, I had a box full, and quicken up the secondaries bending the lock out tab on the throttle shaft a bunch, which I liked better than the Webbor

Well I dont have to worry about any aftermarket stuff. Its all stock at the moment. Also dont have any carpet in the front either! Ha

I finally finished by basic tune up, minus replacing my distributor and the wires because they are still on order. But all new fluids, belts, filters and spark plugs. 

Have someone step on the gas peddle, engine off and check carb linkage to see how much short of full throttle you are, guaranteed a 15HP gain. I never drove a B210 or 210 without noticing all 3 pedals where grossly out of adjustment, the e-brake was high and the b-peddle low so I cranked the rear square adjusters about 6 clicks tighter  which raised the b-pedal and lowered the e-brake and while I was under there I found the clutch was too tight so I shortened the slave rod too get an 1/8" wiggle which equaled 1 to 1.5" free-play @ the clutch peddle. We got about 40 of these cars towed to our shop a year that ordered a new clutch which we got out the door for a $12 clutch adjustment. Then I grabbed the gas peddle and bent it up about 2". I always had this vision the gas peddle would brake off in my hand but they never did, you can be the first for that to happen. I rarely adjusted peddles on other cars in my 50 year career but always hat to on these cars, the only exception was it I had already worked on it recently.

Have someone step on the gas peddle, engine off and check carb linkage to see how much short of full throttle you are, guaranteed a 15HP gain. I never drove a B210 or 210 without noticing all 3 pedals where grossly out of adjustment, the e-brake was high and the b-peddle low so I cranked the rear square adjusters about 6 clicks tighter  which raised the b-pedal and lowered the e-brake and while I was under there I found the clutch was too tight so I shortened the slave rod too get an 1/8" wiggle which equaled 1 to 1.5" free-play @ the clutch peddle. We got about 40 of these cars towed to our shop a year that ordered a new clutch which we got out the door for a $12 clutch adjustment. Then I grabbed the gas peddle and bent it up about 2". I always had this vision the gas peddle would brake off in my hand but they never did, you can be the first for that to happen. I rarely adjusted peddles on other cars in my 50 year career but always hat to on these cars, the only exception was it I had already worked on it recently.

I will look into how my pedals are sitting for sure, but off the top of my head my clutch has a lot of play to begin with (I would say too much), my brake pedal sits even with my gas pedal and minus the lack of braking power I have at the moment it feels good. As for the gas pedal, Im not sure how it is set, but it seems responsive and I haven't had an issue.

A few of the guys in my shop are all about me putting a turbo in the Datsun. I know there are some fuel economy benefits to having one but would it be worth the hassle of the install? (I say hassle because I have never done one, only seen videos that include a fair amount of fabrication)

A few of the guys in my shop are all about me putting a turbo in the Datsun. I know there are some fuel economy benefits to having one but would it be worth the hassle of the install? (I say hassle because I have never done one, only seen videos that include a fair amount of fabrication)

Be the first to install a VG33ER out of an Xterra, We got a guy here in Prescott putting one in  his wife's 72-4-Door-510 and it looks like he can get the blower to fit under the stock hood. Also all 3 seats the console and the carpet-kit fit in much better than stock with 2 cup holders in the console what an up-grade. You will have to throw away your cross-member and build motor mounts to your frame-rails but it could be done. Of course you will have to run a roller- skate on the bottom of your oil pan unless you go dry-sump. This guy paid $700 for his donor, can't buy a turbo kit for that.

Engine update: After all of my tune ups that I did, just changing old out for the new, the car runs so much smoother. I will keep track of my mileage this week to see if there is any improvement. If not, at least everything is fresh and I have a good base line to know when to keep up with maintenance.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

After tuning the carb, adjusting the timing, new fuel filter and some sea foam I have the car doing 28 mpg. much better than the original 20. But at this point, with the engine being stock, I feel like I should still be able to break into the 30s range.

After tuning the carb, adjusting the timing, new fuel filter and some sea foam I have the car doing 28 mpg. much better than the original 20. But at this point, with the engine being stock, I feel like I should still be able to break into the 30s range.

From memory this sounds about right for a 4spd in town or mixed driving.

Much better gas mileage on long Hwy drives. 

• 1 month later...