“Bluey”-a father daughter project 510

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The last couple nights I’ve been buttoning a few things to get ready for Datslocos. Last night I replaced the collector gasket, it was sounding like a damn tractor. I stacked two gaskets because they frequently leak. There was only two of three nuts on the flange when I got the car, so I scrounged up one more and started tightening them up. The third one stripped with very little pressure, damn. I started going through the engine bay and found a nut of the right size that I could borrow, and replace with another bolt I had laying around. It sounds like a car again, and it idles more stably. Tonight, I washed it and cleaned up the interior, painted under the rear bumper with flat nlack, checked all the fluids, and packed a tool kit just in case. This is going to be the longest trip Bluey will have taken, so I’m a tad nervous.

• Like 1

Bluey made the Datslocos trip without a hitch. On the way down, water temp never got over 185. On the way back, it stayed around 190, and when I abused it up a steep grade in 4th gear doing 6500rpm for a mile and a half it hit 197 but went right back to 190 when I grabbed 5th. Bluey also drives more nicely than my old two door, and having it start on just the key is nice too. It’s quiet comparatively to the two door and the wiring doesn’t cause any worries. I think I could probably drive to canby if I could afford it.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Find a flooring store that sells synthetic jute pad. You can get it in quarter inch thickness and glue that down. Shouldn't cost much either. Out here it's around $5 a square yard.

Just make sure it doesn't have the rubber backing, that will trap moisture.

• 1 month later...

I made the mistake of watching the mighty car mods kei to the city video with Joey, she saw the JDM style, and loved that people put cartoon characters on their cars. This is where the trouble began. One guy had hello kitty, naturally Joey asked if we could do that to bluey. After her bringing a logical argument about it being a daddy daughter build, and so far it was all me style wise, I caved. There’s now a hello kitty hanging from my rearview mirror and I just ordered around $60 of hello kitty vinyl car stickers. I told her she could stickerbomb the hood, she picked a 2’x2’ hot pink hello kitty face, and 50 3”x2” hello kitty faces. There’s more, but I forgot what all she chose. Oics in the coming week. 

• Like 2

hgSC8TH.jpgBCUpX6r.jpg1Ppg7wx.jpgqsRmg7C.jpg 

4BPK3rq.jpg

The large one on the hood was a downright motherfucker due to the curves and lines on the hood, I had to cut it in one spot, then overlap and reshape with a razor. All the placements were decided by Joey, she has her own vision for it, all I did was apply the decals. Note the tiny plush hello kitty hanging from the rear view mirror, it’s fun to see how horizontal you can get it to go when cornering. There’s more decals on the way from overseas, they probably won’t get here till the end of the month, I’ll update then. 

• Like 2
  • 3 years later...

Well, it’s been a crazy few years since I’ve been around. I briefly stepped away from the datto scene to re-evaluate what I really wanted to do as far as projects go, I got into the 4x4 scene after buying a lifted w100 snow truck. I considered selling the 510 and buying my brother’s’69 Malibu, but a flattened cam and rod knock in the old 318 necessitated driving the 510. It reignited the fire, and working in a shop the last couple years provides knowledge, funding, and resources to finally start taking the car where I want it to be. A couple days ago, the l20b dropped a valve seat, luckily I’ve sourced one from a forum/sacdat club member. I’m going to pick it up today. Unfortunately, we had a loss in the family that was extremely hard to deal with. RIP to the best damn friend I’ve had, Dolomite. Who knew a pup choosing me could be such an impact on my life. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
16 hours ago, Dolomite said:

Thanks man, now I’m living with the mini monster my daughter picked for her first pup. It’s jack russell, doxie, and chihuahua. Little motherfucking live wire. 

B56A14D8-2DE3-4252-8A55-932AF7586E85.jpeg

Damn that's a combo....

We are hoping to get a corgi soon....

We need something a little more chill.... 

My old pup was jack Russell and he was awesome,  and damn smart....

Beautiful pup, enjoy.....

• 2 weeks later...

I got a closed chamber W58 to replace my messed up head, got it cleaned up, and had it pressure and vac tested, and trued. 
5BA39E90-0FC4-4EAA-8386-CB69971B3A9E.thumb.jpeg.83105730ea9f53c8f6d578fef4c32d35.jpegI also got the old head off, gasket surface cleaned up, and the new head dropped on. I know I should be done by now, but I’ll be damned if working on cars all day doesn’t burn a motherfucker out on working on his own car.

491BF53C-E249-4225-ADD3-18DF609DC50D.thumb.jpeg.c2d8c49e78cd1818ac3cb06efa13eab8.jpegI got super lucky. The valve seat on the old head contacted the piston just enough to ding it, just gonna knock the edges off and roll that shit. 
I took the front cover and cam cover to work today, steam pressure washers are amazing. They came out pretty damn good.  

• Like 1
On 8/5/2021 at 7:19 AM, the510keeper said:

Good to see you found something to put her back on the road, homie

I got it from tightie whightie, it was good to see him and bullshit for a while. I had to go cost effective just to get it going, all my money goes into my beast, ‘73 Dodge W100. I’m building a magnum 360 for it due to a collapsed lifter and wiped cam in the shithouse 318. 
8E92039C-F33D-45CF-AC07-CCC2C37BBF89.thumb.jpeg.b82bdd69d88ad7a54d53fa380ffdf2bd.jpegMine is the one painted like the flag, the black one belongs to my shop foreman. 

• 1 month later...

I haven’t updated in a while due to the Caldor fire nearly taking out my town. I was at work when customers started calling, insisting that we got their cars done because they were sure there was an evacuation coming. After laughing at first, due to the distance from the fire to town, my wife called and said a fire chief told her and her employees they expected a near Paradise level event in the next three to four hours. Bluey was still sitting at home with the head on and torqued, but basically all accessories, radiator, carbs, exhaust, and hoses not finished. I raced home, threw all the guns, ammo, and herb/herb devices in my wife’s Yukon, then sat down and started shredding on the Datto. I never knew there was more than one water pump option, and I chose wrong. The new pump is super close to the radiator, and the fan wouldn’t bolt to the fan clutch...fuck it, first world problems when the surrounding hills are ablaze. I took it down to the shop in the next town, and stashed it in the back of our side yard. Then I went back up to get my Dodge on a trailer and get it out of town. An hour later when we got the mandatory evacuation order, they said that the area the shop is in might burn as well...fml. I had to drive it all the way to my grandmas house with no fan and a carsick puppy in the passenger seat. Good thing I hate the seats, lolz. 
DB3E0D35-0952-434F-9047-7D0A2854524D.thumb.jpeg.df9ef367f3644b5fa8955d950ea7305e.jpeg23247B37-74F9-4ADA-A2CC-0F54A542B598.jpeg.1028c260a5c51074d3fcd82e3c9db77a.jpegSorry for only two shitty oics, you forget shit with looming inferno. 

So, after 2 1/2 weeks being evacuated and staying at my goddamn inlaws place, we got the go ahead from the jackbooted thugs to go home. The neighborhood was a damn mess, the animals moved in while the people were gone. Trash everywhere and the streets looked like an ashtray. I was the first one back in town, it was like a post apocalyptic movie with empty streets and buildings. The smoke was still thick, but it beats living with the inlaws...I’d honestly rather slam my dick in a car door. 
AB03BC62-237B-495A-A9AE-AAE97C6EB53F.thumb.jpeg.c34ed9987657c4e04137888dcedb10b3.jpegThat’s some thick smoke, oic was taken just after noon, it was as dark as twilight. 
3A2B889A-A155-4D15-A6FD-148968867261.jpeg.f985910758a175ff780eeb087938de83.jpegThis was on my way home, smoke was only half as bad as the first day. 

Back to Bluey, the car ran much better, but still not like I was expecting. I figured I needed to adjust the valves, carbs, and take care of a small exhaust leak. Two days ago on my way home from work, it wouldn’t idle and stumbled badly...it also smelled of gas. SUs always smell a bit, but it was strong when I pulled in my driveway. I opened the hood and found gas all over my exhaust and engine bay. After inspection, a sunken float was to blame. We’re talking over half full with fuel. A look around revealed absolutely stupid pricing on a new set, so out came the soldering iron and emery cloth. An hour later everything was as good as new, and the car was running amazing. It’ll pull fifth gear hard up the grade now, and idles as good as SUs can idle. All in all, I’m much more happy with the car now. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Lockleaf said:

That's a rough story man.  Glad you were able to get all the important stuff out of the path of danger though.  Nothing like a fire to get you motivated to put in some hours on a project 😄.

Everything worked out, the house was untouched when we got home. Hell, our insurance company gave us a grand for incidentals under our loss of use clause. 

• Like 1