“Bluey”-a father daughter project 510

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The car has “multiple” problems. Like earlier stated, I do what I can with the time I have at the moment. When I have ten minutes I do a ten minute job. Seized parking brake parts is a job I literally haven’t had time for yet.

• Like 1

Wow that's lucky..... that's why I always leave my cars in gear.

I always do, I think it didn’t engage correctly. When I got in to move it, the knob looked like it was in first but it obviously wasn’t. I got super lucky, the new Sherrif department is just down the road and deputies are always in the area, I guess I could’ve gotten a parking ticket too.

• Like 1

I was try to figure out a way to fix my cracked and leaking windshield rubber. I needed something that would bond with glass, paint, and rubber, as well as not shrinking or cracking. I looked at many products designed for windshields, they were extremely expensive or didn’t bond to the things I needed it to. Then I came across a polyurethane roof and flashing sealer that fit my parameters.

3ihlBWa.jpg

It doesn’t look wonderful, but it filled the 1/4 inch gaps in the window rubbers, it also sealed to the roof and windshield well. No more drips from there anymore.

54fULTh.jpg

There’s one left inside the engine bay to take care of, then I think I’ll be ready for carpet.

I also removed and refurbished my wiper linkages and motor. At the same time, I painted inside the windshield wiper cowl. It’s nice to have working wipers again.

• Like 3

I had two fuckups, one of which was easily fixed. First one, not easily fixed, I picked up my floor jack from my Pops place the other day, the first right hand turn I went around...this happened...

Rg47MpW.jpg

The jack hit the inside and cracked the filler...looks like my freshly painted car is going to need bodywork and paint...#cuzbutthurtandfml

The second one was easily fixed and made the car start better. My two door had a push button starter setup by the time I wired in the gm hei module, so no hot on start wire was needed. I wired bluey off of oics I took of the two door’s setup, so it didn’t have a hot on start wire hooked up. Since I recently installed a hot start relay, I thought I’d tap the wire that fed direct power from the battery to the starter solenoid...ha fucking ha. I got in and went to start the car, obviously the coil is hot on run and backfed power to the starter. I didn’t have time to do anything at the moment but cut the wire, glad it was in a decent spot. While I was out, my brain remembered I had a bunch of diodes left from my alarm/rke install on my crown vic. Two diodes bridging the cut wire, and now the car starts way easier.

• Like 1

Update: I’m pretty lucky, I just talked to James and he still has some of the blue used on my car. After I fix the damaged area, he said I should be able to thin the paint and roll it on over the fixed area. Good news indeed.

• Like 2

I forgot to post about a couple things. I pulled my gauge cluster to try to get the fuel gauge working, it starts to move but goes back to zero after ten seconds or so...no dice with cleaning and buffing the contacts. However, I did fix the ground by soldering an auxiliary wire. I did the same for the tach illumination lights, now all my gauge and idiot lights are functioning. I also got some tunes going. I felt like a prick cutting an untouched radio surround for a deck, but then I remembered I am a fucking prick so no worries. I ran two 6x9s behind the front seats for now. At first it sounded like shit, then I put a couple towels underneath the boxes to cut vibration, now it sounds ok for now. I did these things Friday, no oics cuz I forgot cuz 4/20.

• Like 1

I didn’t really know where to put this. It’s not an fml, and I’m not butthurt...actually, quite the opposite. Today my daughter had gymnastics class, we took two cars so wifey could go shopping afterwards and I could come home and clean house(gato shout-out). I parked right next to the crown vic and we went inside. I checked on bluey a few times, the last time was 10min before class was over, it was right next to the vic like it should’ve been. When we came out I started to flip the fuck out, a Chevy pickup was parked where Bluey should’ve been. Then my wife said what the fuck, bluey was 50’ across the parking lot half assed on the lawn between two cars, a tree, and a concrete sign...without hitting or damaging anything.

jJNVvsV.png

The subaru is owned by my youngest daughters gymnastics coach.

rLeCn9y.png

That’s less than a foot away from a destroyed rear quarter.

FDvYe6i.png

Equally close to the tree.

Two additional things: if I hadn’t raised the car for my local roads, it would’ve sustained heavy rear end damage. If the front tires jumped the curb and somehow managed to miss the sign, it would’ve either hit a fire hydrant or ended up in the road.

Now I’ll be making damn sure it’s all the way in gear next time I drive it somewhere.

It knocked it out of alignment a bit and slightly tweaked the exhaust.

Man you where lucky on that.

I got a couple things done last night. I managed to clear the mud and rust out of the outside seatbelt holes in the back seat. I thought they were completely maccered, but a few turns with a tap found only the first few threads were badly rusted...stoked on that. My wife drove the car to work today, so I hooked up a choke cable so it would start easily for her. I also checked all the fluids and rigged up a battery hold down. Still making progress slowly but surely.

• Like 1

More trials and tribulations. Friday on my way to the SacDat meeting, I started smelling a burning rubber smell, then my temp gauge went apeshit. I pulled off the freeway at the next exit, and the gauge went to 255 before I shut it down. I opened the hood and steam was seemingly coming from under the exhaust manifold, I figured bhg. When I leaned in for a closer look, I bumped a heater hose and it shot coolant all over the manifold again, getting coolant steam in my eyes and lungs. Turns out poorly routed heater hose was too close to the manifold and got a hole burned in it. Luckily my brother lives 20min from where I was and he brought water and the one thing I didn’t have on me, a screwdriver. I ran the remaining hose to take the heater out of the system, filled it up and got to the meeting after it was over. There were still plenty of people there, so it was ok.

Yesterday I got one seatbelt installed in the back, and a proper tiedown on the parcel shelf. I used 1/8 steel plate to reinforce the tie.

Fs4KEks.jpg

rAtxJP8.jpg

Today I dug into the front brakes, they’ve been dragging a bit. Turns out someone needs to learn about pedal freeplay. Not going to mention names, but his initials are jamses helper tim. I put in an eighth inch of freeplay, deglazed the pads on my beltsander, gently sanded the rotors, lubed the slider pins in the calipers, and bled the system. The front wheels then turned freely. I took it for a test drive down the frontage road and back up the freeway, running it as hard as possible. I found two things: the damn thing pulls fifth gear to fortysix hundred rpm at four thousand feet elevation now, and it ran nearly 20 degrees cooler, stabilizing at about 176f. All in all, I’m much happier with the car now. Now I have to clean the engine bay of coolant and fix the heater hose before datslocos.

• Like 2

Forgot to mention I took my oldest daughter for a ride after getting the belt and anchor in. She absolutely loves Bluey, she had no problems climbing into her car seat, she also liked the quieter exhaust. Now for some sound deadening and carpet.

• Like 1

I ordered some household “thermobarrier”, looks to be shredded denim type sound insulation with a foil backing. It was $22 for a four foot by six foot roll. It says it’s sound and heat barrier and fire rated. If it works, it’s way cheaper than dynamat. I’ll post oics and how well it performs after I install it.

I got the insulation installed, I stuck it down with 3M super 77, but haven’t had the chance to take it for a drive yet. I have high hopes, the stereo sounds way better with the insulation and some cheap floor mats. It no longer has that hollow reverberation sound. The 4x6 sheet was able to cover both front and rear footwells, almost all of the trans tunnel, and the parcel shelf. I’m probably going to get another to do under the rear seat and seat back, and possibly inside doors. I haven’t gotten carpet yet, too poor at the moment.

LYeEqP1.jpg

DiIAi2d.jpg

I also fixed my heater hoses, at least I think so. I got thermoplastic 90s that are made for use with coolant, had to cut one down a tad to keep it as far away as possible from the exhaust manifold, and managed to clear the throttle linkage and return spring. I couldn’t get the fitting on the head to turn, and didn’t want to break anything right before datslocos, so I used another 90 to get everything to hook up.