1969 roadster a true barn find.

Boxcar

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After 2 days of frustrating work I finally was able to get the driver side of the engine bay sorted.

p_001.jpg?1

p_002.jpg

Tight doesn't do this car justice, This thing was designed by a sadist. 

That and the PO had no use for a torque wrench.

Patients and a good bit of skill is required to figure one of these little buggers out. 

So far everything is as advertised by the PO . All new parts. just dirty from the prolonged storage in a dusty environment.

Today I plan to sort the passenger side   of the engine bay. Then on to the brakes and suspension. 

Wish me luck...... 

• Like 3

Thanks for the encouragement. One can only hope....

A few updates:

Before:

p_004.jpg?1

After:

p_002.jpg

Once the engine bay was sorted I moved , painfully on to the brakes and suspension.
As with the engine. 20 + years ago the PO had gone through the brakes. The car sports new , surface rusty rotors, rebuilt calipers with disintegrating pads new rear shoes and drums with frozen adjusters and master cylinder and lines with 20 year old dot 4 contaminated sludge in them. How fun this will be!!!!?
I did manage to get the calipers sorted out. 

p_003.jpg

As soon as Rock auto delivers the pads I will re install them under the car. More red!!!! 

The rears were a no big deal. Once the adjusters were re designed they worked great.

The adjusters went from this:

p_003.jpg?1

To this:

p_014.jpg

Now they can be adjusted with a 17mm wrench . Much better than stock.....

The wheel cylinders kind of look like 510 cylinders.

p_015.jpg

p_004.jpg?1

Sunday is a no work day at my shop. Soooooooooo. See ya soon.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well , it's been a busy week. 

Went through the fuel systems on wed. Thankfully the tank had 4 gallons of old gas in it. Any one need some turpentine?

After flushing the gunk, the tank was nice and shiny inside.

p_001.jpg?1

Yesterday we managed to fire the old girl up.
It was kind of anti climatic. Once I managed to get a prime , she fired right off. I'm pretty stoked at this point. I did capture a video. Just haven't figured out how to transfer it from my phone yet.
The car is defiantly going to need a more aggressive exhaust system. The friking thing is quiet as a ghost.
Last night I started adding a few bells and whistles.

p_002.jpg?1

p_003.jpg
  • Like 2

Time to upgrade the alternator!

fef332cdd3f2c31f2c94.jpg

p_002.jpg?1

I need 1 more amp for the sub ( small one ) Then I need to find a place to mount it................Small cars are a blast. 

Thankfully I have a spare 80 amp Denzo left over from the 620 build.
  • Like 2

Nearly ready for summer! I still have a few things to sort out. Mirrors and the role bar color. 

I should be doping it off the stands this next week. 

p_001.jpg

p_002.jpg
  • Like 4

I'm pretty sure I will finalllllllyyyyyy make Canby!!!! She rolled out of the shop today under her own power. It was a great day for a test run. A short one . Now I need to go to DMV.

p_003.jpg

p_006.jpg

p_007.jpg

Before the drive I did manage to get the alternator mounts ready for the Denzo.

p_002.jpg
  • Like 2

Now that most of the majors have been completed, I can move on to the smalls. Tons of smalls..... Like getting rid of a bunch of red accessories. Refurbishing the convertible bows , figuring out why I have no power to the dash lights, new top, etc,etc,etc...

I made some progress yesterday. 

p_003.jpg
The top bows are referbed now . I still have to remove the fist dent from the header bar????? Why people pound on the header bar I'll never understand.  I filled the hole left from the lack of a stock radio with my electric fan and aux light switches and indicator led's. Then finished wiring up the Denzo. 
Just another busy day in the shop.

p_001.jpg

Any one have a clue how these mount?

p_004.jpg

I'm pretty sure they are cable guides for the top. But have no clue how they work.
  • Like 2

I am awaiting the new skin for the top. Other than that and a final bleed and brake adjustment  the car is ready for Canby. I can't believe I am actually going to make it this year. It will be nice to add faces to the names ......

The car is now baseline Stock.

The plan is to drive it through the summer then either start moding the car or sell/ trade it for a car I'm more interested in. 

I'm not really a roadster kind of guy..... I may go on the hunt for a nice Goon or Patrol. Who knows?????

I look forward to seeing you guys and your cars.......

p_004.jpg
  • Like 3

Now that most of the majors have been completed, I can move on to the smalls. Tons of smalls..... Like getting rid of a bunch of red accessories. Refurbishing the convertible bows , figuring out why I have no power to the dash lights, new top, etc,etc,etc...

I made some progress yesterday. 

p_003.jpg
The top bows are referbed now . I still have to remove the fist dent from the header bar????? Why people pound on the header bar I'll never understand.  I filled the hole left from the lack of a stock radio with my electric fan and aux light switches and indicator led's. Then finished wiring up the Denzo. 
Just another busy day in the shop.

p_001.jpg

Any one have a clue how these mount?

p_004.jpg

I'm pretty sure they are cable guides for the top. But have no clue how they work.

Them clips are mounted on the rear door pillar right in front of the convertible top frame hold down adjuster, 2 screws hold it on, it is meant for the cable that goes thru the top inside door flaps from that point to the windshield area where the tang sticks down on the top frame, I am not even using that on my top as until the last 10 years I had a hard top, and it doesn't even get driven anymore since putting the rag top on, I have driven it maybe 4 times in the last 10 years, so when I do drive it the top is down or completely off.

• Like 1

Thanks Wayno . Dean at Datsun parts explained how they work and where they are mounted. Cable stays for the side window seals. I located a smooth hard top in northern cali that I have struck a deal on. July trip!!!! For now the soft top will do fine.

• Like 1

I got the old girl breathing better over the week end. New 2" exhaust. They aren't kidding when they say that 2" is the largest exhaust that will work on this car.

My list of smalls is shrinking dramatically.

Wayno. Why aren't you driving your roadster any more?

Yesterday was the first ( legal ) road trip. All tagged up and insured.

I was surprised by the long gears and torque of  this car.

To say its a fast little bugger would be accurate by the standards set in 1969.

It's a bucket of fun to drive.

I still have some bugs to work out , but it's close.

Canby , here I come......

p_001.jpg?1

I drove around for 10 miles with the damn hood unlatched.
Thank god it,s a front swing.
  • Like 1

Yesterday was a bench mark day. Peggy, my wife , took her first run in the SRL. 

We had a great run up hwy 202/47 to Vernonia from Astoria. 

This is a great long twisty. Car ran and drove perfectly. And as planed , Peggy now loves the car. 

I love it when a plan comes together.......

p_002.jpg

p_003.jpg?1

p_004.jpg?1

p_005.jpg?1
  • Like 1