donor to build the best

StewyN

So i just picked up a 4x4 720 today, cost me a 12 rack of cold ones. my thoughts on it was to salvage all the best parts off the 4x4 and build up my 2 wheel dive. so i was wondering, is there anything that's better on the 4x4 than the 2 wheel? Ive heard things about the rear springs off the 4x4 but don't know what makes them special to put on the 2 wheel. in case anyone's wondering the 4x4 has a blown head gasket, cracked heater core and is an old farm truck so shes fairly beat/rusted up and not terribly, but somewhat cobbled on a few things ( gotta love farmer ingenuity ). so i thought id see what the opinions out there were, nothing is set in stone yet. and im trying to find the best options.

• Like 1
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The transmissions are different, so are the obvious stuff like drive shafts and stuff. 4wds usually have lower rear gears if that's your thing. Body panels go both ways, as do seats and stuff.

Also you forgot oics so we can tell you to save both and sell all your reliable vehicles. :-)

• Like 1

What year 4x4?

The rear springs are much stiffer... and lower.

The early 4x4s had 4.375 and after October '83 they were 4.11 ratio differential.

Transmissions for the 720s were either 31.5" or 26" long but 4X4 transmissions did not come with a speedometer drive. So even if the length is OK you won't have a speedo. It would serve as a replacement while fixing or replacing your 2wd transmission... if the length is right.

'80.............. L20B engine

'81-'82........ Z22 engine

Oct '83-...... Z24 engine with the Z24i available after April '85

The front half shafts are worth something to another 4x4 owner if in good condition. The R-180 differential also for it's gears in a 510 or Z car.

Rad if similar year, alt, PS, brake booster and master, carb, head, manifolds, flywheel/clutch (240mm for the Z24) calipers should swap but rotor and front suspension are different than 2wd.  Doors hoods, fenders are all the same. Frames are much different. Interiors are similar before Oct '83 or after as is the wiring and parts. 4x4 rims are 15".

• Like 2

What year 4x4?

Transmissions for the 720s were either 31.5" or 26" long but 4X4 transmissions did not come with a speedometer drive. So even if the length is OK you won't have a speedo. It would serve as a replacement while fixing or replacing your 2wd transmission... if the length is right.

OP

If it's the short 26" one as mentioned ,, those trannys are fetching some pretty tall money these days and super hard to find anymore. So one laying in garage as a replacement ( even if no speed hookup) is a good idea

• Like 1

The transmissions are different, so are the obvious stuff like drive shafts and stuff. 4wds usually have lower rear gears if that's your thing. Body panels go both ways, as do seats and stuff.

Also you forgot oics so we can tell you to save both and sell all your reliable vehicles. :-)

The 4x4 is an 85, same with my 2 wheel. ill see what i can do about getting some pictures up. Im defiantly keeping the two wheel, Ive had it for years and is my daily. id love to save the 4x4 but im not sure about it yet

What year 4x4?

The rear springs are much stiffer... and lower.

The early 4x4s had 4.375 and after October '83 they were 4.11 ratio differential.

'80.............. L20B engine

'81-'82........ Z22 engine

Oct '83-...... Z24 engine with the Z24i available after April '85

The front half shafts are worth something to another 4x4 owner if in good condition. The R-180 differential also for it's gears in a 510 or Z car.

Rad if similar year, alt, PS, brake booster and master, carb, head, manifolds, flywheel/clutch (240mm for the Z24) calipers should swap but rotor and front suspension are different than 2wd.  Doors hoods, fenders are all the same. Frames are much different. Interiors are similar before Oct '83 or after as is the wiring and parts. 4x4 rims are 15".

So what your saying is there's interchangeable parts but nothing necessarily better? Ive already snagged the oil/battery gauge from the 4x4, trying to figure where the oil pressure wire for the sensor is.

• Like 1

Well the 4x4 '85 grill is kick ass good looking.

You need to join a picture hosting site where you can down load your pictures, copy the image and bring here to post. Do NOT use Photobucket. Any other will work fine try several to find one that fits your needs.

You need the 4x4 oil pressure gauge sender for this to work. It's located up under the intake, side of block, between cylinders #3 and #4. USE a wrench! 14 or 15mm I think. Do not grab it and try to twist it lose! One wire is for the red warning light the other for the gauge. Kep the red light working so you don't have to keep checking the gauge, it's good to have both.

• Like 1

What year 4x4?

So how did the 4x4 speedo's work if they don't hook to the tranny?

• Like 1