1968 520 build from QC, Canada

wakemaniac

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Worked on the headlights wells/buckets that were very rough...decided to completely grind them off and retrofit the 521 ones.

It works with the 520 fenders...just need a little trim in the lower corner to clear blinker in the 520 fender. 520 head light assembly bolts on the 521 wells.

xFY9uJZ.jpg

ibfPKiL.jpg

GwLIUWd.jpg

CThKmVg.jpg

xxmVVw4.jpg

4ew1TxA.jpg

Got a few goodies by the mail :

cXbMdEz.jpg

QD0MEXJ.jpg

WY0rTwc.jpg

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...
On 6/3/2020 at 8:29 PM, dattruck68 said:

Great Job!

On your floor plan replacement, did you shape yourself or purchase. i need to replace on my 1968 project.

Thanks

Thanks ! They riveted thin sheet metal over the rusted pans in 1979 (found news paper between the 2 layers). I drilled the rivets and took those as a model. Went to a local shop to have them cut and bent with 14 or 18 Gauge cant remember but its pretty stiff ! I dont have any measures...they just copied the old ones !

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

It's been a little while !

Here's the update :

Finally got the cab done and painted. Just dropped it on the frame. Wheels got powdercoated as well. Will work on doors, hood ans fenders to get them painted before winter. Now that the cab is on the frame, I will be able to put back a lot of stuff together !!!

Had half a gallon of single stage Sikkens poly-eurethane left from my old boat refurbish. I just love the color !!!

NspOmz8.jpg

OlMbwdS.jpg

wLmknxk.jpg

mldHV21.jpg

• Like 3

The 620 specifies GL-4 which makes it easy, just use manual transmission oil. The boxes are similar I just couldn't find if it was the same for the 521. Daniel, are there any brass or copper bushings or parts in a 521 box???

• Like 1

Could be a hardened phosphor bronze alloy like the early intake valve seats. Anyway, to be safe use GL-4 transmission oil. I've taken later 720 boxes apart and there are needle bearings on the sector shaft, 521 and 620 were bushings.... maybe copper/brass?

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Re-assembled the steering column last night....what kind of loose do you guys have in your steering before wheels actually turn ? Ball joints/tie rods all new. Its really a loose in the steering column before the brass/cooper gear (like the  picture above) starts moving ....steering must be close to 1/5 of a turn before something happens ! Is it normal ? Seems a lot and might be annoying on the road !

Edited by wakemaniac
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, wakemaniac said:

Re-assembled the steering column last night....what kind of loose do you guys have in your steering before wheels actually turn ? Ball joints/tie rods all new. Its really a loose in the steering column before the brass/cooper gear (like the  picture above) starts moving ....steering must be close to 1/5 of a turn before something happens ! Is it normal ? Seems a lot and might be annoying on the road !

There is a small adjustment screw on the steering box.... 

Give that turn, that should take out some of the slop.... 

I'm not sure how much it should wiggle,  I adjusted mine to have just a little movement, because I didn't want to over tighten it...

• Like 2

Make sure wheel bearing have their pre-load set properly and the idler arm is not at fault. Worn king pins can add play to the steering also. There is about a 20 to one steering ratio in the 521/620 so even 1/16 inch of accumulated wear in the system will translate to 1.25" of steering wheel slop.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/19/2020 at 9:50 AM, datzenmike said:

Make sure wheel bearing have their pre-load set properly and the idler arm is not at fault. Worn king pins can add play to the steering also. There is about a 20 to one steering ratio in the 521/620 so even 1/16 inch of accumulated wear in the system will translate to 1.25" of steering wheel slop.

I reopened the gearbox cover and found the issue ! I skipped one tooth when I put the column in. For some reason couldn't get it in without taking off gear box from frame to get a better angle. Now its in and pitman arm moves right off when turning sterring ! Cheap fix lol

Edited by wakemaniac
  • Like 1