Wiring conundrum - brakes, headlights, flashers won't play nice

Hello!

I've got a 79 Datsun 620 Manual.  I got this truck to learn to work on vehicles.  I love it, but I'm pretty much green in the troubleshooting department.

Recently several problems developed all at the same time.

brake lights/tail lights (flashing or not) are very dim 

brake lights/tail lights do not illuminate if headlights are on

signals/hazards will come on but won't flash if headlights are on

signals/hazards will flash but will stop flashing if brakes are depressed (they'll stay illuminated solid)

Replaced flashing units for both blinkers and hazards, replaced all bulbs, fuses are good. 

I'm guessing it's a ground issue but I can't seem to find it.  Thought maybe it's the hazard switch but it doesn't seem like that should involve the headlights. 

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  
Thanks for your time!!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ground maybe.

Look behind the pass side rear tail light. There is a round 6 wire connector that joins the chassis harness to the rear tail light harness across the back of the truck. It gets lots of road dirt and water thrown at it by the tires so it's easy for it to corrode the brass connections inside. Unplug and plug together several times to clean them. Wiggle it and see if the lamps get brighter. Have a look into the plug also and if greenish/blue they are corroded. The Black wire is the ground. You could try making a ground connection from this wire to the frame and see if that fixes the problem. Look also to see if anyone has spliced in a plug for a trailer harness.  No one ever does this right and the harness just rots away at the exposed connections.

Make sure there is a solid ground wire from the engine block to the body. Everything has to ground and find a path to the negative terminal.

• Like 1

The 620 fuse box unplugs and two screws and it's out. Scrub clean with soapy water to get all the loose stuff off and any greasy fingerprints and rinse well. Now submerge in a container of full strength lemon juice and salt. You can use a scrub brush or old toothbrush. Then soak overnight.

6XXHZRx.jpg

In the morning rinse and dry. The citric acid in citrus fruit removes copper oxides (tarnish) and makes it look like a new penny. Vinegar also works but is less acidic that straight lemon.

Ck double filiment bulbs and there sockets. Ck all other connections too. Had rusted running/front signal assemblies on the 521 that caused all kinds of issues like u mention. Also be sure bulbs r in sockets correctly.

Their*

Check* you* and are* while we're at it.

That's Datslocos for you