520 J13 intake carb and header help

Ambulance63

I bought the MGB intake to install on my 67 520 and I was wondering what else do I need to do this conversion, it looks like I'll need to buy a header or make a block off plate for the stock manifold. Does anyone have any experience with this swap? What header can I use?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The intake is for twin SU carbs, I guess?  

I know of no maker for a header for a J13 in a 521. I don't know if there ever was one offered.  Just make a block off plate and run the stock manifold. It's plenty good enough.

• Like 1

Here is a header, don't know if the fuel pump will clear, there are also the MG exhaust manifolds to try.

https://www.autozone.com/exhaust/exhaust-header/patriot-exhaust-header/403607_397738_0_5281?&searchText=H48001

I am also assuming you bought a manifold for dual SUs.

You might have an issue clearing the steering column, but it might be possible if you use the shorter Datsun/Nissan isolator blocks for SUs between the MG manifold and the carbs as the MG isolator blocks are way too thick.

There are also even thinner(1/4") isolator blocks that came on the A series dual SUs if you still do not clear the column, I have 2 different sets for my L320 but have lost interest in that project right now, maybe you have more room in the 520 than I do in the 320.

If it is a Weber intake you are talking about I would say why do that when you can use your J13 intake with a Weber adapter plate.

• Like 1

Not sure for the SU manifold, but for sure you can't use the stock exhaust manifold with the single sidedraft setup. The Patriot header will not clear the fuel pump and will hit the bump out on the block. To make it fit, I had to grind the block a bit and dent the header a bit. Downpipe was custom. There are pictures in my build thread here.

• Like 1

It Is noted here http://community.ratsun.net/topic/61446-j13-engine-after-market-parts-and-all-other-cross-over-parts/?do=findComment&comment=1073252 that the Patriot header will take some customizing to make fit.

I edited it to red font color to stand out better.

Thank you for noting what you had to do to make it fit.

Pictures would help some of us.

Thanks everyone for the input! I used the kit from redline that uses the cannon intake and the 32/36 DGEV Weber. I have read where someone used a pacesetter header on there J13, but I was not sure if they had used one for an MG or if they made one for the 520. This is my first Datsun so it's a big learning stage for me

• Like 1