Trans Swap on 521

jduarte

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, unbolt the driveshaft from the flange and there is a large nut holding the flange to the end of the 4 speed transmission. Remove it and the spline slides out.

Jffre59.jpg

To use this spline on the 5 speed the hole in the end must be sealed. Use a 40mm core plug and sealer like this to keep the oil from dripping...

huWLwUb.jpg

Shorten the driveshaft and done.

Yes, unbolt the driveshaft from the flange and there is a large nut holding the flange to the end of the 4 speed transmission. Remove it and the spline slides out.

Jffre59.jpg

To use this spline on the 5 speed the hole in the end must be sealed. Use a 40mm core plug and sealer like this to keep the oil from dripping...

huWLwUb.jpg

Shorten the driveshaft and done.

That's a nice trick with the freeze plug... I was lucky enough to get the flange with my 71b so I have both types... and actually it was lucky that you clued me in on this swap before.... last year I was trying to sell my 5spd, almost did twice but they wanted the longer one.... would have kicked myself in the ass knowing what I know now....