H190 LSD upgrade

Jelmer C31

I came across this topic on Hybridz about upgrading the R200 LSD.

Our H190 LSD are nearly the same so this this count for us too?

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/52029-adding-clutches-to-the-clsd-r200/

If so, can I use these clutches:

www.nengun.com/nismo/lsd-repair-parts

And which one do I use, the 1,75mm one or the 1,85mm one.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All you need to do is make sure you assemble the inner driven plates, with the outer driven plates.

Don't sacrifice any driven plates in order to add a shim plate.

The driving tabs (both inner & outer) are the CLSD's weak spot, no matter who makes it.

The more tabs you have engaged, the stronger the LSD is

Spring pressure only increases pre-torque, an also makes driving a bitch in wet weather due to keeping the rear locked, even at low throttle setting, and causing the rear end to constantly break traction.

And it's even worse on deceleration.

You don't want a locked rear end if you have to get off the throttle to avoid something in the road, and it's raining, as the vehicle is likely to swap ends.

That is why people like Cusco make 1.5-way, and even 1-way cam sets for their CLSDs, so that they can limit deceleration lock up.

The cam action of this style LSD will give you all the locking you need once you get on the throttle.

And if I ever stumble onto a 1.5-way cam set from an old R200 (spider & cam rings), I will pull my diff apart to install it.

There are the people who 'drift', they want to be able to break traction on the rear entering a corner, so they like high breakaway torque.

And drag racing, with high power cars also benefit from high breakaway, but the smart people just put in a spool, no diff action at all.

Pavement racing is whole other ball game, and people with big pockets, and lots of help, will change out diffs to suit the conditions.

And that's why a helical or AP Suretrac LSD will work so well, because they put the most torque to the wheel that has the most traction.

Even then, Indy cars that run a helical LSD, have a selection of LSDs, with different angle gear teeth, so they can tune torque transfer to suit track conditions.

Bottom line, seldom do you want the most lock up that a diff can provide.

• Like 2