Anyone know who made this dump bed hoist?

wayno

Anyone on here know who might have made the dump bed hoist, there are no tags or plates on it and I would like to buy another cylinder as the one on the passenger side leaks, there is only a little bit of a sticker left in one spot which I believe the colors are black, red, white.

These photos are the best I can do, I have been to a couple hydraulic cylinder places and both could only rebuild what I have at $500/$600 each and another $300.00 to R&R the cylinder, I really don't want to put $600. into a cylinder when I can just keep putting fluid into the reservoir every once in a while as I don't use it but maybe once a week at the most.

Here are the photos I have of it.

DSCN7790.jpg

DSCN7786.jpg

DSCN7787.jpg

DSCN7788.jpg

What is left of the sticker :(

DSCN7789.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at 2 of the places on the list of where to buy that hydraulic oil and neither of them said anything about that stuff, I will look again tomorrow, thank you Charlie.

It is leaking pretty bad, I am a little worried about using something like that and having it work maybe 10 times and then having a catastrophic failure.

• Like 1

Just get the new packing from the hydraulic shop and do it your self

I have never had one apart before, I would hate to get it apart and not be able to get it back together.

I did actually look at that possibility today, it looks like it comes apart where the piston rod enters, I will try that Lucas hydraulic booster/stop leak a try first and keep looking for new cylinders, I was hoping someone might know the maker of the system, if it was Knapheide there is a store for that brand across the river in Troutdale OR about 20 miles away, but I doubt I would be that lucky.

I spent quite a bit of time looking on the internet at photos for hydraulic dump bed lifts/systems/hoist/ect of the past, but I didn't find anything like what I have, all of the twin cylinder types I seen/looked at were for big trucks, I didn't see anything on a small truck of any type.

• Like 1

Wayno I looked at the setup and to me it looks like it might say Stahl but I searched the stahl site and found nothing.

Here is a Dual ram on a Willys called  "Dump O Magic".

http://www.ewillys.com/tag/Dump/

Here is another Willys.

http://www.ewillys.com/2011/11/27/willys-truck-with-dump-bed-california-ebay/

I think the most difficult part of the job will be disassembly. If those nuts are rusted on from what looks like decades of abuse, they are going to be a bitch to remove. You're probably going to need lots of heat. You'll probably need a pair of soft jaws for the vise to be able to remove whatever is threaded onto the shaft.

And to your original comments, I think it will be cheaper to have yours rebuilt then it will be to buy new. But there are plenty of generic cylinders out there. Just search using your basic measurements.

Those almost look like tractor bucket cylinders judging from the shape and size. Maybe a small garden tractor...

• Like 1

The prices quoted are absolutely criminal.  On pic 3 above, it appears that there has been some welding done on the port side cylinder where it anchors to the bed; is the leak coming from there or around the packing gland?  If the cylinder body is intact, check the rods for nicks and burrs that could rip up a seal, those have to be dressed down or any new seal will fail soon.

If it's leaking from the shaft seals, that means that the piston seals are bad as well, as that would be the dry side on a single acting cylinder, which appear to be installed upside down compared to every other application like this.

If all else fails, take some measurements and see if you can find a direct replacement at Surplus Center, will still be wheelbarrow loads of cash ahead of the shyster shop.

• Like 1

You can buy generic fit cylinders for very little money, but you may have to weld on the attachment points or come up with a thread on solution. If I were buying generic, I might buy two of them so they are guaranteed to be the same.

I had my hydraulics guy rebuild my tractor cylinders a few years ago and they were able to do them for about $200 each.

• Like 2

Yes they looked upside down to me also, but I have what I have so I am going to work with what I have.

To me it appears to be leaking past the shaft seal when under pressure, when I raise it past the lock out arm to lock it in the up position and then release the pressure it quits leaking, it only leaks under pressure, it does not squirt out like under pressure, it just pours out and can make a puddle on the ground if I don't release the pressure.

The $600.00 each cylinder was worst case scenario, the one guy at hydraulics Inc said it could be as low as $200.00 to rebuild the cylinder, he was rattling off words like chrome shaft and Stainless steel shaft if the shaft needed replacing ect, ect, he didn't like the way the pins held the cylinders in, but he seemed like a nice guy, 2 pins and removing the hose and each one is out, the pins are held in by bent nails.

The one in photo number 3 is the good one flyerdan, it doesn't leak at all, it's the passenger side that leaks, I did note that welding though, it is completely dry in that area.

It also appears to have pipe fittings like used for water in houses in the past, maybe someone already replaced the cylinders in the past with whatever they could find so now I have a pieced together setup put together with whatever could be found at the hardware store.

The guy at Hydraulics Inc also didn't like the hose connections to the cylinders, he seemed to say they were not the proper type.

I will try that Lucas hydraulic oil/stop leak stuff first, I will also go to a lawn and garden tractor place and ask them if they recognize the cylinders.

I have also been searching the internet for cylinders and have not really found anything like these cylinders, most everything out there is double acting while these only have one connection and gravity is how it drops(releasing the pressure holding it up), it works the same way as the TommyGate I have, I never really thought about looking at that cylinder to see if they are similar.

I would go take closer photos of the mount connections but it is cold outside and it is running out of hydraulic fluid, it doesn't work that well when it is cold outside, it works great when warm outside, it raises way faster when warm outside.

• Like 2

I will be going to the only tractor place in the area tomorrow, it is very close to where I buy all my meats(locally grown), and they are always closed on Sunday/Monday, I plan to just drive the truck there and talk to them about it, they have tractors right there that I can look at to see if there is anything close.

I tried searching for single action cylinders, but almost all that result from the search are double action.

I have 2 gallons of that hydraulic oil boost/stop leak made by Lucas coming this evening from Napa, they said they had 25 gallons of it in their warehouse and it would be there by 4pm.

• Like 2

It sat for years outside in the weather Charlie, I have no idea what the issue is, so I will try the treatment with the Lucas stuff as it is running out of hydraulic fluid right now and if it works then that is great, I want to lift it tomorrow for the guys at the tractor place to see anyway, so I will put a gallon or 2 in and see what happens.

I have not looked that close at the shaft, but what I remember seeing didn't scare me or make me take a second look, the shaft looked shiny new looking with no rust, it was outside in the weather with the cylinder rod completely encased in the cylinder, both cylinder rods look exactly the same color and have the same shininess, I expect that the seal dried out unless there was something wrong with it before I took possession.

I do recall seeing it leak the first time I ever raised it, so this issue may not be fixable with the Lucas hydraulic oil with stop leak, and this is why I am going to the tractor place tomorrow, as that is the best lead I have right now.

I just called about the hydraulic oil and it is not in yet, they said call back at 5:30pm.

Wayno if the is damage to the shaft that could have damaged the seal then do not waste the time on the Lucas treatment.

• Like 1

Wayno in order for the Lucas stuff to work the hydraulic oil has to come up to operating teperature.

That  is why I bought 2 gallons, I am just going to keep adding it until I run out or it quits leaking, it is pretty cold out right now(28 degrees), I put a quart in it earlier, I will cycle it tomorrow when I get to the tractor place and then I likely will not use it for a while after that unless I buy new cylinders.

I also have an old TommyGate that will likely get some of this stuff, by the way this stuff is really thick, I have to put it in a squeeze bottle and squirt it in as it would not even go in the hole pouring it in the hole, it just hit the hole and acted like a plug.

• Like 2

The ends are made of a different metal(aluminum/stainless steel??), and they are round like the cylinder housing, I really have not looked that close at them as I have never had one apart in my life and I just wanted to buy a new one or have it rebuilt, but rebuilding it is expensive and there are so many unknowns about the end price, so I am going to use the stop leak right now and see if it works, go to the lawn and tractor place tomorrow and see what they have for cylinders, everything is up in the air right now, I need to know more before continuing on farther, I need to have more information to make a semi educated decision on what to do. 

This thing may last years leaking the way it is right now, or it could catastrophically fail tomorrow, being I may only use this dump mechanism once every couple weeks or less over the next few years, I really don't want to spend a lot of money on it even though it is way nicer as normally I have to scoop it out of the back with a shovel, it likely takes just as long to shovel it out as it takes to drop the trailer, dump the debris, and then connect the trailer back up to the truck.

I hope to know more tomorrow. :)

• Like 1

If the rods and barrels are in good shape, they just need resealing.  They should never see fluid at the gland, as that indicates that the piston seals are letting fluid by.  Since it is a single acting cylinder, there is no port for the accumulated fluid to exit, it has to either go back past the piston seals against pump pressure or out the gland end as the volume decreases as the bed lifts.

The Surplus Center site has seal kits for some cylinders, if you determine your bore and rod diameter you might find them fairly cheap.  I would probably order two and only do the one that's leaking right now, checking the bore for anything that might snag the new seals.  They probably come apart with a two pin spanner, and the overhaul could be done on the truck, using the top pin as the vice to hold it from turning. 

Pull the bottom pin, lever the cylinder closed to empty it, take the hose off so it will let you pull the guts, unscrew the end and slide everything out.

• Like 2

Well I got it to raise twice today to show the 2 tractor places what I have, it raised very slow, it is cold outside so I am assuming that was why it was so slow to rise.

The first place wasn't a lot of help(John Deere), the guy looked at it and shrugged his shoulders, suggested I rebuild what I have as he had nothing like it, he also suggested the Kabota dealer down the road, so I went there and them guys were more helpful, but they suggested the same thing, rebuild what I have, but they also told me where to go to get/match the seals(seal source), he had a few cylinders but they were either too large or had too long a stroke, the guy also went thru how to take it apart real fast, not sure I got all of what he said but he was more helpful than anyone else I have personally talked to in person.

No one can tell me who made this dump bed assembly, no one has even tried to guess.

• Like 1

Jay Jays  brother Vern can rebuild those things pretty easily..  If you got time to wait,,  i could have JayJay come over and look at your pictures and contact his brother ,, maybe he ( Vern )  could show you how while you do the work for fraction of price. the one big problem is Vern lives in Packwood . 

He and Jay rebuilt the ones on that John Deere 6 wheeler cuz those had been sitting for 20 some years and leaked like crazy when he first tried using them

Vern used to be one of those guys that ran field service truck from the age of about 17 for a major construction/crane company so he just goes at stuff like a tornado ,,  much like yourself. 

• Like 2