Identify this transmission?

BB510

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ejdGLQ3.jpg

The transmission is from a 2 liter Roadster but converted for another car....

I would say it's an FS5C71A although it could be an FS5W71A as the difference is only what synchro rings were used. The W stands for Warner made synchro, and the C is a steel Porsche ring. The steel ones were better suited for competition, hence the C. If you look you can see that the bell housing is removable simply by removing bolts from behind the clutch. In fact this is not a roadster bell housing but one for an S30 (early Z car) In North America the new 240Z (Fairlady) suffered from not having a 5 speed available for enthusiasts who liked to race them. An L series FS5C71A was available in European Z cars and if you had the money ready you could have a Nissan dealer import them for your new 240Z. I would say it's an FS5C71A (competition use) because that was what was available. Yes the front case could have been put on a W 5 speed but I don't see why. Ever the optimist, I guess.

It will be 31.5" long, has the A series shifter and a flanged output just like the L16 521 truck. It will bolt to any 4 or 6 cylinder L series block and is strong enough for 150 hp engines. Most of the internal parts and now made of unobtainium because racing them has a way of using up parts for rebuilding them. A good one in need of a rebuild, also called a core, is worth $700. A good working one probably 3 times that and maybe more by now for Roadster lovers.

This is a transmission that was in a 510.

Back in 1980 or so my dad modified a 68 510. Part of that was a Roadster 5 speed out of my uncles 2000. That car shortly thereafter got totaled and we 

dismantled it and kept some parts.

I inherited a different 510, this transmission and a block (also in picture) and a cylinder head. 

I was unsure if this transmission was the 5 speed from the dismantle or the original '68 510 4 speed.

Thanks for identifying this for me.

I will probably sell this one at some point. The current 510 project already has a 5 speed in it.

BB510

As it sits it is 29.5 inches.

Ok. Great info! Next question. I have a 510 driveshaft here which I assume is a shortened one to work with this transmission. Does anyone know how long a standard 510 driveshaft is and how long this shortened one should be?

Stock 510 sedan..... 42 9/16 or 42.5625" or 1,081.0875mm

That 5 speed has a bolt on flange output the stock 4 speed has a slide in flange on the driveshaft. Your  driveshaft will have been modified by having the mating flange added to it, plus probably shortened some. Very similar to the same year 521 truck below..

Jffre59.jpg

pB0UlID.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, you likely have a 521 driveshaft, perhaps cut down for length. Because your transmission spline bolts in, there has to be a slip joint somewhere to allow for longitudinal movement of the differential, driveshaft, transmission and engine. On the stock set up the driveshaft can just slip forward and back in the end of the transmission.

Yes, you likely have a 521 driveshaft, perhaps cut down for length. Because your transmission spline bolts in, there has to be a slip joint somewhere to allow for longitudinal movement of the differential, driveshaft, transmission and engine. On the stock set up the driveshaft can just slip forward and back in the end of the transmission.

Ok so to summarize this is all good stuff I have here and not to be discarded? I assume if I had a 4 speed transmission and a stock 50 year old driveshaft that those items would not be worth the space to store them?

-Eric

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Roadster bellhousing (starter on drivers side) available, if needed to swap your trans back to Roadster spec.  We acquired a Roadster 5speed, swapped the bellhousing out with the early 240Z bellhousing to fit a 510 (starter on passenger side), which is exactly what you have.  Yes, the 5speed, the early 240Z bellhousing & the driveshaft all had part #'s from Datsun/Nissan.

Back in the day, when this 5speed was what was available over the parts counter for the 510, Datsun/Nissan offered a 2pc driveshaft, which is what I think you have there.  It had a splined "slider" mid section to suit the different length, and had the 4-bolt flat flange on the front to suit the Roadster tailshaft.  Again, this was to bolt up to a 510.

TJ

PS if anybody is interested in the Roadster bellhousing, please PM me.............I do NOT get reply notices from here, and I only wandered in this Roadster section cuz I just bought & flipped a 2L car a few weeks ago!

TJ