jcd0402

What is this on my 510?

Hi, I have quick dumb question to ask since I don't seem to understand what the box on the throttle linkage is.

Does any one know what it is?

Thank you

https://imgur.com/a/UkRcK

jdADRoa.jpg

This throttle position switch and a relay, along with transmission switches for certain gear, is used for applying or turning off the second set of points in the distributor to retard or advance the ignition timing to lower emissions.

• Like 2

This throttle position switch and a relay, along with transmission switches for certain gear, is used for applying or turning off the second set of points in the distributor to retard or advance the ignition timing to lower emissions.

Thanks datzenmike!!! Guess I don't really have to worry about it since I'm running an L20B with a single points setup, which I'm later upgrading to an new electric ignition distributor I have stored. 

At first I actually thought it would increase my idle since the car came with an a/c setup, but looks like I'm completely wrong. :rofl:  

I think it also engages overdrive. Could be wrong

Overdrive? They only came with 4 speeds (this one looks like a standard) or auto. The automatic were either vacuum kick down or an electric solenoid operated by a switch under the gas pedal.

Yeah, originally the car is a 4 speed. I'll be keeping it that way.

Nothing will happen if I don't wire it up right; since I'm using a non-emissions distributor?

It will explode if you don't wire it up...joking, it should be okay. I got mine unhooked, ttl advance on dust at around 36 degrees, pertronix system.

• Like 1

The original distributor had an extra set of points about 4 degrees slower opening. The initial timing is set on the first set of points and by adding in the second, later opening points, the timing can be retarded 4 degrees.

Oh, okay, thanks guys. Guess I wont really have to worry about it not being hooked up then. :D Now I just need to figure out how to raise the idle for when I start installing the whole a/c system.

The 720 uses an idle up solenoid on air equipped models. I can't find the same thing on L20 equipped engines. I don't know how or even if it was used.

I guess I can make a cable that twists the throttle a slight bit every time I turn on the a/c. Just like the old datsun roadsters cruise control cable that is hooked up to the throttle linkage.  

Well this supposes that the engine will stall when the air is on. Lots of old Datsuns were retro fitted with air and I've never heard of any having a throttle up solenoid added or a problem with stalling. My 710 has/had air and has the stock carb and there's nothing else.

Factory ac carb applications use an electronic solenoid that just bumps the throttle and holds it open slightly more.

The 720s do. The electrical ones that is. Haven't seen it on any Datsuns. I have 710 with factory air and nothing on the carb but a dash pot.

x43wBK3.jpg

I would say an earlier car carb with the metal case electric choke. Maybe '72/'73? All later ones are black plastic. I had a '71 521 and it was manual I think the 510 was the same. The very earliest '73 610 with the L18 also had this style.

I don't see any provision for holding the throttle partly open to increase the idle speed. Anything to do this would have to have electrical wires as it would be a solenoid.

Would you happen to know what that roundish thing with the center bolt do? It says open and close. I've been trying to find carburetor manuals online to see if I can find all the details about this one but no luck so far.

That's the electric choke heater. Later ones were plastic.

3amNNxv.jpg

Inside is an electrically heated coil that warms a bi-metallic strip that unwinds as it warms up and releases or opens the choke. When engine cools the strip re-coils and pull the choke closed for the nest start.

RLg5TcI.jpg

Oh, that's cool I guess; specially since I'm planning to daily drive it once the a/c gets installed, and I finish inspecting all the chassis components. But that won't be till later in the summer once I get new suspension hardware, and new rear brake masters. 

1200, auto choke

Has a distributor like an L series....

Has a distributor like an L series....

Yup, L20B to be exact. 

x43wBK3.jpg

Well likely L16 carb and intake.