What is this on my 510?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

jdADRoa.jpg

This throttle position switch and a relay, along with transmission switches for certain gear, is used for applying or turning off the second set of points in the distributor to retard or advance the ignition timing to lower emissions.

• Like 2

This throttle position switch and a relay, along with transmission switches for certain gear, is used for applying or turning off the second set of points in the distributor to retard or advance the ignition timing to lower emissions.

Thanks datzenmike!!! Guess I don't really have to worry about it since I'm running an L20B with a single points setup, which I'm later upgrading to an new electric ignition distributor I have stored. 

At first I actually thought it would increase my idle since the car came with an a/c setup, but looks like I'm completely wrong. :rofl:  

The original distributor had an extra set of points about 4 degrees slower opening. The initial timing is set on the first set of points and by adding in the second, later opening points, the timing can be retarded 4 degrees.

I guess I can make a cable that twists the throttle a slight bit every time I turn on the a/c. Just like the old datsun roadsters cruise control cable that is hooked up to the throttle linkage.  

Well this supposes that the engine will stall when the air is on. Lots of old Datsuns were retro fitted with air and I've never heard of any having a throttle up solenoid added or a problem with stalling. My 710 has/had air and has the stock carb and there's nothing else.

x43wBK3.jpg

I would say an earlier car carb with the metal case electric choke. Maybe '72/'73? All later ones are black plastic. I had a '71 521 and it was manual I think the 510 was the same. The very earliest '73 610 with the L18 also had this style.

I don't see any provision for holding the throttle partly open to increase the idle speed. Anything to do this would have to have electrical wires as it would be a solenoid.

Would you happen to know what that roundish thing with the center bolt do? It says open and close. I've been trying to find carburetor manuals online to see if I can find all the details about this one but no luck so far.

That's the electric choke heater. Later ones were plastic.

3amNNxv.jpg

Inside is an electrically heated coil that warms a bi-metallic strip that unwinds as it warms up and releases or opens the choke. When engine cools the strip re-coils and pull the choke closed for the nest start.

RLg5TcI.jpg

Oh, that's cool I guess; specially since I'm planning to daily drive it once the a/c gets installed, and I finish inspecting all the chassis components. But that won't be till later in the summer once I get new suspension hardware, and new rear brake masters.