Datsun 620 stereo

Eri350z

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the old radio out? The old radios and AM/FM Cassette units volume and tuning knobs fit through two hole and got a nit to hold the unit to the dash, a small square cutout was for the dial, etc.

When I finally got around to buying a modern CD/am/fm with a USB port, etc... I had to remove the plastic inset piece that surounds the instrument cluster and heat/defroster controls. If I remember right, this was the hardest part of the whole deal, figuring out where the screws are for it.

Then you can take some tin snips and cut the metal of the dash frame out so that modern rectangular units fit. I'm pretty sure i decided to take the plastic inset out rather than try to cut the metal dash frame in place. To risky, would crack the inset.

It was a couple years ago that I did it. Best thing I ever did to my 620... besides 4 wheel disc brakes. I got a Sony with a remote that works great, removable face for $99! Back in the '80s I used to blow $400 or $500 on a Sony or Alpine system. I think I had 3 or those ripped off before I just left the hole in the dash and put the players in the glove box.

• Like 1

I installed a full sound system, including a sub in my 620. I put the deck in my center console, right in front of my shifter. There was originally just a blank hole there, and I had to cut about half an inch in order to make it fit. It’s sitting loose in there, nothing holding it in place. I eventually need to figure something out for that, but for now it stays in place. The deck looks nice in that spot, and doesn’t look out of place.

Here’s a cool tip, if you have a kingcab, you can pull the card back from the rear corners, and there is a cutout with holes that perfectly fits 6.5 inch speakers. I put two 6.5in Bose speakers there, and a 10in kicker sub with a 300 watt amp. I’m using the stock speakers in the front for now.

I left the stock radio in place, for the sake of originality. It just looks nice there, and I think having a new deck in the dash looks bad. Just my opinion. Feel free to ask any questions!

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...