Twins

carterb

Back on September 28, 2015, I posted the following post in the "sightings" thread:

Any 210 fans out there?

I drive by this SUPER clean 79 sedan sometimes.

IMG_4001.JPG

if you are interested, PM me and I'll give you his address so you can knock on his door and see if he'd be wiling to sell.  He's got all kinds of treasures!

IMG_4001_map.JPG

• Like 1
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A few months ago, I started to notice some changes to the property.  A little clearing here and a little cleaning there.  Somehow I just knew there had to be a 510 somewhere in that mix...  Suddenly one day you could see to the back of the property.  Do you see what I see?

large.5a6512a36acd2_12212017lynnwood510s

• Like 1

I see the unmistakable C-pillar of a blue 510 sedan back behind the schoolbus.

I stopped and knocked on the door but after no answer I ended up leaving a note.

After a couple of days without a response I stopped again.  The note was gone (a good thing I thought) and I noticed a truck in the driveway that appeared like it was being used to clear the property so I left another note - this time on the truck.  I knocked on the door of the shed behind the house and didn't get a response so I nervously continued on to the back of the property to have a look at the 510.  I was half expecting to be run off by an old guy with a shotgun at this point but I wanted to see if there was really any reason to pursue this farther... 

What I found was a little surprising...  Not just one 510, but two!  Twins!!!

large.5a6512a96ae31_12212017lynnwood510s

• Like 2

Probably some jerk old man hoarder who died, and his kids dont give a shit, cause he was a mess, and only called the kids for help or money.

Person hauling stuff is probably an under paid cleaning company hired by a bank, and he doesnt give a shit either.

Just go take stuff.  Who cares.  You tried right?

Yes, my dad is one too...

Sell your shit hoarders...your kids hate you.

• Like 1

Over here Datsuns are still considered by most older people,, ( unless they have sentimental value to their family)   just an old Datsun .. Not even worth the bother of having to deal with selling to someone else. 

Example:  I bought a 1200 last summer for $330.  that the owner was using to prop up plywood sheets ... Put a distributor and sealed hole in gas tank and i have been driving it around town.  

Probably some jerk old man hoarder who died, and his kids dont give a shit, cause he was a mess, and only called the kids for help or money.

Person hauling stuff is probably an under paid cleaning company hired by a bank, and he doesnt give a shit either.

Just go take stuff.  Who cares.  You tried right?

Yes, my dad is one too...

Sell your shit hoarders...your kids hate you.

• Like 4

I mulled over the photos over the next couple of days to try and figure out if there were enough parts worth a day's effort of stripping the cars or something.  Christmas break was coming up too and I had some time off so it would be perfect timing.  But alas, the new year came and for whatever reason I was out a little early on the 3rd and thought I'd stop by while it was still light out to see if someone was home.

To my delight, there were people present.  The man in the driveway said to talk to the lady in the house so I knocked.  There was a gal there holding the note I had left in the door weeks before.  Turns out she had just called me and left a voicemail (I don't answer my phone while driving).  She showed me the cars and I asked if I could pay to remove some of the salvageable parts before they were hauled off.

She said they would prefer to sell them whole to get them off the property.  Turns out it was her dad's place who had passed away a couple months ago and now she and the siblings were tasked with clearing the property.  The reason I hadn't seen the 510's before was because they were completely buried under blackberry bushes.  They didn't even know there were cars back there that far until they started chopping them back and hauling them off!

Super nice family with a big task ahead of them for sure!  She said they were going to start listing all the cars on craigslist but didn't have prices yet.  I told her when she figured out what she wanted to let me know.

• Like 2

I figured they are probably worth about $200 each.  We talked a couple of days later and that was the number she offered.  Of course at this point, you knew it must be meant to be right?!  : )

I asked if they had the ability to delver the cars but she said no, the truck and trailer on the property were willed to someone else.  So I started figuring out what I would need to do to get the cars - get my suburban going again and borrow a trailer and spend most likely a full day getting the trailer, digging these hulks out of the dirt and putting them on wheels, getting them to my house, and then returning the trailer.  A day I was not looking forward to loosing.  But then she called again and offered to deliver them for $50 each.  SOLD! 

I brought them a deposit, some wheels and tires, and a few dollies to help with the loading process should they need them.

• Like 2

Now it was time to wait for a dry day and time in their schedule to start the process.  Then I get a call on the 14th saying they are having trouble getting the car on the trailer and asking if I can come help and make sure they don't hurt anything.

This is where they were at when I got there:

large.5a651329025bd_01142018twins(1).JPG

The rear wheels were locked up and they were pulling the car up to the trailer using a come-along.  The wheels had pushed a bunch of dirt and debris with them and were wedged at the base of the ramps, unwilling to go any further.

After much deliberation, they lifted the back of the car with a backhoe and drug it up over the ramps to the trailer bed where we set it down on dollies.  The front wheels turned so from there we continued to pull the car back onto the trailer using a come-along.  You know how slow this process is.  Having to re-set every 4 feet or so as the spool fills up.  Then, about half way there, one of the dollies breaks through the trailer bed - which was old soggy plywood.  Oh boy...

Out comes the backhoe again to lift up the rear and preposition it while we find the only non-rotten piece of plywood on the property and put it under the dolly so we can push it back off the trailer when we get to my house without a repeat incident.  

All the backhoe work was NOT kind to the rear of the 510 but since it had already been rearended back in the day, and since there was NO trunk floor due to rot, I figured it was no real loss.  Plus the options were pretty thin.

large.5a65132f96e7b_01142018twins(3).JPG

Although they thought originally that both cars would fit on the trailer (!) I think at this point they realized one at a time would be plenty.  The wagon, now fully exposed, would have to wait for another day.

large.5a65132c543f4_01142018twins(2).JPG

• Like 2

Getting the car off the trailer at my house was only slightly easier.  We didn't have a backhoe but we did have gravity working in our favor.  All told it was probably a 3 hour process not counting all the time they had put into it before I arrived.

The next day with full light I took some photos of the car and tried to assess what I had just gotten myself into.

large.5a651367d9ef8_01152018twins(2).JPG

large.5a65136a9009b_01152018twins(3).JPG

large.5a65136d658bd_01152018twins(4).JPG

large.5a651370768f1_01152018twins(5).JPG

large.5a65137476e51_01152018twins(6).JPG

large.5a65137776df9_01152018twins(7).JPG

large.5a65137bd8e2d_01152018twins(8).JPG

• Like 2

I figured they are probably worth about $200 each.  We talked a couple of days later and that was the number she offered.  Of course at this point, you knew it must be meant to be right?!  : )

I asked if they had the ability to delver the cars but she said no, the truck and trailer on the property were willed to someone else.  So I started figuring out what I would need to do to get the cars - get my suburban going again and borrow a trailer and spend most likely a full day getting the trailer, digging these hulks out of the dirt and putting them on wheels, getting them to my house, and then returning the trailer.  A day I was not looking forward to loosing.  But then she called again and offered to deliver them for $50 each.  SOLD! 

I brought them a deposit, some wheels and tires, and a few dollies to help with the loading process should they need them.

Wow. Very cool story.

• Like 1

Trunk lid is toast.  Rear tail light panel and valance are toast.  Right rear quarter could be useable for some repairs.  Gas door is good but there is no key.  Right tail light might end up on the Swamp Thing.

large.5a651421ddbfc_01202018twins(1).JPG

C pillar vents are nice but half of the "chrome" flaked off when I hit them with water.   License frame would have probably brought some money on ebay but broke during the back-hoe hi-jinks.

large.5a65142478c13_01202018twins(2).JPG

large.5a6514265db2b_01202018twins(3).JPG

large.5a651428b8001_01202018twins(4).JPG

Left rear quarter is better than the right but still - maybe only for patch repairs.  Doors on both sides are actually nice on the outside except for the gray primer but on the inside, there is a lot of rust where the skin folds over the frame.  One good rocker trim piece.

large.5a65142b0db56_01202018twins(5).JPG

• Like 2

Left front fender is toast.  It was bondo'd at one time and all of it has separated and left nasty rusty dents underneath.

large.5a65142d5e99e_01202018twins(6).JPG

Check out the racing stripe on the hood.  Every 510 has racing pedigree right?!  : )

large.5a65142f6e02e_01202018twins(7).JPG

The right front has some obvious damage on the front of the hood and some not so obvious damage to the leading edge of the fenders, grill, trims, and unfortunately, the core support.  I think it must have been rearended and shoved into the car in front of it.

large.5a65143147677_01202018twins(8).JPG

The DATSUN emblem looks nice.  : )

large.5a651437f1049_01202018twins(9).JPG

Right front fender is toast.

large.5a65143b05527_01202018twins(10).JP

• Like 2

Then last weekend I got a call saying the wagon was loaded and ready.  It had three rolling wheels and put up much less of a fight going onto the trailer.  The two brother-in-laws delivered the car so I hardly had to lift a finger.  Much better arrangement this time! 

large.5a651445de24c_01202018twins(14).JP

large.5a65144866263_01202018twins(15).JP

large.5a65144cee733_01202018twins(16).JP

large.5a65144f5b083_01202018twins(17).JP

large.5a651452c81a7_01202018twins(18).JP

large.5a6514635141d_01202018twins(19).JP

large.5a65146583f30_01202018twins(20).JP

large.5a6514680b63f_01202018twins(21).JP

large.5a65146b3bb3a_01202018twins(22).JP

• Like 2

I haven't had a chance to wash down the wagon yet and between these two cars and my poor dented up bluebirds, I'm sure I'm not making any friends in the neighborhood so I'll be dealing with them as quickly as I can. 

Neither of them will see the road again but I will try to save as many parts as possible.  That was the whole idea after all - keep this stuff out of the crusher and available for the community.

There are only a few things I know I want to keep for myself and a few things for Swamp Thing so if you see something you like, let me know and I'm sure we can come to an agreement.  PM me.

I'll keep the thread going as I dig.

Oh, when they delivered the wagon, they delivered the titles.  Both cars were purchased within 2 days of each other back in 1981!  They have likely been sitting ever since! 

• Like 2

heywier, saw your post.  Sorry about your bad experience.  All I can say is that these kids lost their dad to old age and are now faced with cleaning up years of accumulation.  They were an extreme pleasure to deal with.  They both grew up in the area and it was fun hearing about what it was like here when they were kids.  I wish them the best of luck with the rest of their process and hope they find a trouble free buyer for their property when they finish getting it cleared.  It is a ton of work!  Hopefully it was helpful to them to get these cars off the lot.

P.S.  Although I've been calling them The Twins, since the wagon is a '69 and the 4dr is a '71 I guess that's kind of impossible.  Maybe they are just brothers.  Or, given the color - "Blues Brothers"?

• Like 2

Lol. Im an extreme pleasure to deal with and use it to my gain, as Im a salesman!

My dad has warehouses of shit, that me and my brother are going to pick up with loaders and load into dumpsters.

He did it to himself.  I know there are rare good parts in the piles of shit, I just dont care.

Clear the property and off it.  

Just like your storys kids, they have been dealing/cleaning/moving his shit their whole lives.

Sell your shit hoarders.  Its going to go into the garbage.

Sorry for thread jacking :)

No problem.  It's wise advise.  My wife and I have been talking to our parents for a while, warning them that stuff is stuff and we won't be saving much of it when they eventually have to go - encouraging them to get rid of stuff while they can.

And here I am dragging these two hulks onto my lawn.  Hahaha...

• Like 1