Aibast Volvo 740 "Mad Nilsson"

I just finaly got the turbo engine ECU and wireing removed from the donor car. I removed the engine bay harness ( 1/6 ) before as it had a nice big connector in the engine bay.

It was all routed trough this hole and ran under coil and beind the strut tower.

large_29819437_2kS2.jpg

This is now a ( 2/6th)  part of my colored spagetty monster.

I know what goes where so no problem with this.  All the + side going trough this harnes, and passanger side front lights. Driver side lights are in the same harness as ABS and Ignition ECU's -going to remove these soon.

large_29819439_VYMo.jpg

Next removing the hood and front fenders and but them in storage.

And a fotographer that was in the summer Youngtimer Camp found some photos of the van on the sprint run.  I did try my best to get the car to lift a wheel and slide a bit, but not enough speed to get it going. Still had a small slide on the gravel corner, but didn't let it go to far. There was a concrete block on the outside edge in the end of the corner.

large_29801483_CZG9.jpg

large_29801485_FPTh.jpg

Edited by Aibast
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

I really dig the van, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I was very curious about what's next to it...  ?

Next to it is a friends 1962 Volvo Amazon 2 door. B18 engine and 4 speed manual box. Needs work but in a good condition for the age.

• 2 weeks later...

Front brakes where a bit hard. Had to realy press on the pedal to make her stop. Removed the calibers and pistons move realy well. The pins that the caliber glides on were a bit rust bitted and didn''t slide so well.

large_29820761_LSXC.jpg

Ordered a repair kit and added new pins and rubber boots with new grease.

large_29820759_beFV.jpg

Noticed some weird things behind the bumper and gaps were off. So removed the bumper to get some things off.

large_29820765_7s48.jpg

PS. Volvos 80's safety trick. 2cm thick aluminium girder thats in the bumper attach to these things.

large_29820763_8Tly.jpg

When that was done went on to remove the wireing harness from the donor. After some research removed the things that I needl. Most of the wires are not neaded. From 52 wires I only need 15 as minimum and 18 if I use some extra features like ECU controlled cooling fan, fuel pumps, constant idle adjusting to engine load. The Van has a carb engine originaly and use stand alone ignition computer with vacume adjusted load metering, knock adjusted timing, overheating protection and was even used on 16V turbo engines. So no need to use donor ignition.

large_29820769_gfBQ.jpg

This is what is left on the inside. Still need some relays and fueses from this mess.

large_29820767_Qpeg.jpg

Edited by Aibast

Went to annual technical inspection and everything works. Brakes are good, lights are ok, shocks are good, bushings and steering ok. Emmissions is metered but the result is not counted as the car is over 30 years old. But I'll be converting to injecton and add a catalityc converter to her anyway.

large_29821091_SAHM.jpg

Removed fuelpump and filter from the donor car. Waiting on the new gasgets for the injection intake manifold.

large_29821089_lqVg.jpg

started getting things ready. First the intake manifold port matching and some smooting over the injectors connecting areas.

Here is a pic of half done intake with gasget on it to check things over. Useing the same gasget on the heads intake channels to match things up.

large_29821171_aKmd.jpg

large_29821173_Tu5m.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

going to use my "van" to get some Yule trees this year. Snow and RWD = perfect ? Happy solstice to you all.

This years trip is done. Took my daughter with me this time.

large_29822997_EMhO.jpg

Used logging road to get to my property

.large_29822999_0pnq.jpg

Found a place to leave the transport. It is an hours walk to get where I have my young trees growing to take over old fields.

large_29823001_blwj.jpg

Searching for trees. 

large_29823003_znYI.jpg

Found what we where looking for.

large_29823005_Wx0C.jpg

Back to the Van.

large_29823007_lroT.jpg

large_29823009_wQRb.jpg

Edited by Aibast
  • Like 2

still can''t work on the van. 

First friends  XC90 had issues with injectors and turbo management. Took the D5 apart.

large_29823705_vJ3N.jpg

New turbo electronic actuator and cleaned everything up again.

large_29823707_Q5nQ.jpg

Got it running again with no more problems and fault codes.

Next stripped the MX5 clean of the bad "mods"

large_29823711_OOiA.jpg

large_29823709_di8m.jpg

Off with front and rear spoilers, side skirts and fender flares.

Damn that Miata is fun on snow ? Sideways all the time.

Started on the auto box to manual by getting parts from the donor. It was but outside for storage. Well , got the thing lifted up first to loosen bolts under the car and open overdrive electric connections.

large_29827033_p1K8.jpg

Manual pedalbox, alternator from the engine to get more space, brake booster and cluch master cylinder.

large_29827035_H9S1.jpg

And then found out that driveshaft and gearbox connecting flanges have rusted together. Removed the bolts and stuck as can be. Hammering on it didn't do anything. So left it soaking with penetrating oil. Next morning but the car on stands.

large_29827039_0j60.jpg

Took a concrete braking chisel, ground it to more defined edge/point. And with that and a hammer tapped the flanges apart.

large_29827037_0aIW.jpg

• Like 1

Old AW70 automatic is 710mm long, M46+Overdrive is 770mm long.

The front part of the driveshaft is extended from stock as the cars body is extended. Now need to shorten this custom part.
large_29828687_2R9I.jpg

My friend removing automatic shifter/gear selector and pedal box.
large_29828683_4GmC.jpg

New pedals in, clutch master cilinder and slave cilinder are on the car. 
large_29828685_fZJh.jpg

Edited by Aibast
  • 2 weeks later...

Removed the exhaust manifold from the Volvo. Only one stud broke. And found that the exhaust was leaking from the manifold seal, the pulsair system and carb EGR tube. This ment there was a huge airleak in the intake manifold via EGR. No pics this time, stilll need to get the broken stud out from the head - some nuts and MIG velder will fix that issue.

Guys, I fixed the exhaust whistle. I still wonder how the hell this thing even run. When I removed the rear muffler box this is what I found.

large_29831143_hHBe.jpg

Some animal had made a mud/hair/exhaust insulation/bugs nest in the exhaust tube right in front of the muffler.

Edited by Aibast
  • Haha 1

removed the back muffler on the exhaust and welded up straight pipe to replace it. The rear box was heavy and full of the same thing (read: shit) that was in the exhaust tube. It was way to restricting. As the car still has a resonator and muffler in front of the rear axel it still sounds ok.

been driving her for some days now. The fuel consumption is 11,7L/100km = 24 MPG. But it is still fun. Got this years Oldtimers Winter Rally number on. Two weeks to some winter fast driving. As every time, I navigate and my friend drivers.

large_29831409_vmqP.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Aibast changed the title to Aibast Volvo 740 "Mad Nilsson"