Crypto currencies

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I look at it this way.

We are already (certainly in Australia) moving towards a cashless society.

I plan to put about $1k into bitcoin (or one of the other crypto currencies, I haven’t decided which yet).

If it really does take off, well it’s an experiment that’s worked.

If I lose my money, meh, it’s only a thousand dollars and nothing I’m going to cut my wrists over.

• Like 1

yep...whoever was there in the beginning, has a very good chance of making tons of money, the "johnny come lately" will pay the ones who came in early.  Hence pyramid scheme at it's best. 

How do you figure? So you're saying all stocks are pyramid schemes?

How do you figure? So you're saying all stocks are pyramid schemes?

^^^ This is an intersting question.

I plan today to watch a heap of Youtube vids on Crypto currency investment and form my opinion from there.

Not sure what, if any correlation there is with crypto currency and stocks.

• Like 1

You realize that $1000 will buy you 1/10 of a bitcoin right now right? You can't really compare prices a couple years ago to what they are now and expect to be able to buy that cheap again. Yes there are other crypto currencies but just because they are a cryptocurrency doesn't mean they will all blow up like bitcoin did. IMO more risk than I'd care to take.

How can anyone say it’s a bad investment. 4 years ago you buy one coin for $13 (the price of a decent lunch). It’s $13 you can spare and go a day w/o lunch to invest in something unknown and on the rise. 4 years pass and that $13 is $19000. The horror!

tB0KNyb.png

It's an investment, just like any other investment... it could go up.. and it could go down. Don't invest money you can't afford to lose, in a volatile commodity. And if you do, diversify..

Personally, I think there is still exponential growth in crypto currencies. Do I own any? No. Have I in the past, yes.

You realize that $1000 will buy you 1/10 of a bitcoin right now right? 

IMO more risk than I'd care to take.

At the time of typing this the approximate Aussie dollar price of 1 Bitcoin is a tad over $13k, so yes part of my due diligence (beleive it or not) is to see what I will be actually getting for the nominal sum of $1k AUD I am proposing to invest.

As far as "risk" goes you of course are well within your rights to say this idea has a higher level of risk that you personally believe is tolerable.

I have a Diploma level qualification (one under an associate degree in Australia) in risk management and my risk assesment which I am doing as part of this exercise says to me the residual risk level is medium (based on my assesment and other criteria) and accordingly as I am prepared to accept the residual risk I will be going ahead.

• Like 2

There is only so many bitcoins like 12000 already disappeared(stolen?) making remaining more valuable. McAfee is my source.

Mining the currency or cranking the shit out of computers to verify the chain, takes tones of power so the exchange will have a huge power pull.

If we don't want AI, or our fiat currency discussed I understand.

RW I'd buy Chevy.. dividends , and its killing my ford stock