lz24 build in a 521

ztraviz

So I have been working on this for maybe 2 years now had the machine work done then it sat in pieces for a long while now I am back to putting it all together and wanted to share it with you all.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8AZrjQ4W88fu5QlU2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3Yd0zamBYOWLxZvJ2

• Like 2
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a z24 with u67 that has been decked .the oil passage from the block to the oil pump for the L20 timing cover doesn't quite cover the hole so I put the z24 timing cover back on and put oil resistant rtv at the top we're the head meets the timing cover on the corners the gasket covered most of it. I probably didn't need to rtv it but for peace of mind I did it any way. The lower coolant outlet I think came off a 280z.

• Like 1

You can see here that it's a mismatch of L head on Z timing cover.

Also here. The two pair of top timing cover bolts are more widely spaced on the Z24 (which is 2cm taller) than the L20B/Z20/Z22 ones.

Just great the pictures won't show.

• Like 1

I have seen others use the Z24 timing chain cover before.

In my opinion use whatever works, I would be interested in seeing if the valve cover clears the hood.

I tried posting one of the photos for you but Google images will not let me. :(

Wayno it clears thy was the first build I did. They do put some power out. Make sure you keep it cool also. They tend to run on the hotter side.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/19/2018 at 8:30 PM, datzenmike said:

I don't think any of the bolt holes line up. Might be a good excuse for using some sealer. It only seals in fumes and some oil spray.

I usually weld up a section and drill/tap for the 6mm head screws.

But you also have to snip part of the gasket off and stick it under the holes, or you run the risk of snapping the aluminum ears off.

Edited by Stoffregen Motorsports
  • Like 1

RN9P30h.jpg

I added this fillet of JB and used the Z24 89mm head gasket. You  can get by without this but it is the thinnest clamping area on the gasket and none of the bolts line up. I think CopperKote on both sides of gasket, but may have been a sealer. It's not a critical spot and only seals in fumes and oil droplets like a valve cover..

• Like 2

If you put a Z series gasket on an L head it seals but just barely. Because I can't weld up an L20B cover 3/4" taller, and no bolts to secure it anyway, this is how I solved it.  To my credit it did justify the use of some sort of sealer.

You'll also note that the coolant hole near the #1 plug also got some JB. The Z24 block and head have the hole very slightly inboard than the L head so I added some meat there to help seal with the gasket. There was also an extra hole to be drilled into the L head if I remember right.

This engine I like to call an L24(B) is otherwise stock with a home made windage / scraper tray and 710 oil pan and home made head studs. It's wrapped in a tarp and waiting for next summer. Compression would be 10 but I extensively unshrouded the valves

• Like 2