New member looking

Beegle17

Hello folks! New user here but long time lurker.

I am ready to purchase my first 510 and start a rebuild project so I have been doing a lot of research and collecting information. I love all the stuff you can find on the net and forums like this are a great tool.

Now the biggest hurdle we all have is finding a good car to start the project with. I am up in Canada so my options are even more limited.

I do have 1 car locally available to me (more on this in a bit) but my question is: Where is a good place to search for cars...I am having trouble finding much for sale right now.

Even looking on ebay isn't turning up much for sale!

The car I have locally is a 72 2 door. Complete car and he says it runs. Don't really care as I will be doing a swap and rebuild anyway. He has a good selection of additional parts like brand new front fenders, a few extra body panels, a bunch of new rubber items, front end components etc. The ad does say there is some rust in the unibody but I do not know how bad it is as I have not seen the car in person yet. The pictures he has sent do not show the full extent of the rust I am sure.

Asking price is $4900 CAD recently reduced from $6500. No idea if that is good or not as I have found nothing to compare it to.

So, I am not asking for any detailed analysis of this car as you all have no info to go on but what might be your simple opinion on this? Or, where can I find a decent donor car to start with? Buying from the US is no problem if I find a good one.

All I really care about is the body/unibody as I can buy most everything else easily. My plan is to build a "streetable" track car that I can take out and do some fun races with but can drive to shows and events locally. It will not be a long haul or daily driver.

Love the forum and I look forward to reading more!

• Like 1
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The best thing is to get one that is as close to finished the way you want it as your money will allow. Better to pay more for a good example than paying another $7K to get it finished and missing parts found for it. Hopefully it does run, or how will you know if the handling, electrical, suspension, steering and brakes are ok or have problems. Now you may say "oh that's ok I plan to rebuild the steering/suspension/brakes/pain it etc... anyway" which is ok but if it needs this there's no sense paying too much for basically a shell.

It's a bit of a read but all 510 past present and future owners should read this great article by Julian Searls. It won't let me post the picture links so here's the link to The 510 Realm ... http://the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26137

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply and I do agree with all you have said. Trouble is....I can't seem to find anything other than this or completely done cars for big $$$.

I know for sure that it will need most components replaced/upgraded especially because of the vision I have for the completed car. Some parts of course can be re-used.

My issue is shelling out 4-5k for a car I am going to tear down to the wood and rebuild. But, that seems to be all I can find. Seller claims only 60,000 original kms on car.

I am searching the forums here and the 510Realm for cars for sale but the pickings are slim.

If I can figure out how to attach pics I will.

• Like 1

Datsuns until the '80s had speedometers that only went to 100,000 miles.... (Canadian were not in kilometers until '76) then it would 'turn over' to zero and start again. It likely has 160,000 or 260,000 or more miles. High wear items like front windshield, (scratches chips) brake pedal rubber, floor mat beneath the gas pedal, steering wheel, driver's arm rest and seat upholstery should be like new with 60K on it. Certainly two or three of these showing much wear would be a give away. Another is replaced fuel pump, starter, alternator and cheap wiring and parts replacement.

Like most vintage car owners, if you want something great you will have to wait and be vigilant. When it comes along you need to be ready to recognize a good deal and swoop in and get it. have your cash ready for it speaks the loudest. Constantly be watching car sales, craigslist w/e and let others know you are looking. Search on line using misspellings of Dotson Datson Dutson because this is how some people spell. :lol: Really people are illiterate but your money is as good as anyone else's. In this day and age of electronic communication even word of mouth is important.

Recognize that you may have to travel and drive your dream car home or ship it.

• Like 1

I know this car you are talking about, or should I say, I seen this car on Craigslist. It's the green 2 door for sale in Alberta with Saskatchewan plates correct?

If it is, I did the quick math and he is asking a little too much considering the work that needs to be done. I personally would be looking south of the border for a cleaner more complete driver for around the same money. I do live only 15 mins. from the Washington state border, so this may be an easier option for me. I have in the past seen some 510's for sale in Alberta that were actually pretty decent cars for not a ton of money. It does always does seem to be when you are looking, nothing is available. Take your time and look everyday on CL Kijiji, or whatever you use. Something will always show up.

Good luck on your 510 adventure and welcome to Ratsun!

• Like 2

Yes that is the car. I am going to look at it this weekend as I finally have time to go...and it's NOT -30 anymore!

It's only a 30min drive from me. I may offer him a lowball number and see if he bites. There is at least $1500 in new parts included.

I am looking all over and I am open to buying in the US. I have done this before and have no issues. There has not been much available lately.

The search continues!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I tried searching 510keeper here and nothing comes up?

I assume he is a member here?

If anyone can connect me that would be great!

I did find a car in Montana that looks good but the seller has not replied to me as of yet. It is only about 8-9hrs from me

On a side note this car that is here locally has dropped in price considerably...he is motivated to sell it.

My decision now comes down to getting a better car/shell from South and pay the cost of US/CAD exchange, shipping and other related expenses or just put that money into the local car here if I can get it down to the price I need it to be at to make it worthwhile.

Because of all the additional parts/pieces that come with it and a good running motor that I can choose to rebuild/modify or sell off and prepare for a swap...still undecided on that yet.....if I can get him down a bit more this one is worth buying just for all that stuff.

• Like 1