V6 datsun? Anyone ever do it?

njoz1200ute

The main issue with the 2.8 was bad intake manifold gaskets that let coolant leak into the engine thereby diluting the oil and eventually wiping out the bearings. If caught in time and better gaskets installed there was usually only regular maintence required besides the horrible stock carb. Got pretty good at changing intake gaskets and carb rebuilds on those in the day. By no means the greatest engine ever produced, but far from the biggest piece of shit. Personally, I would not use any 80's/90's domestic V6 engines as the japanese engines are far superior. I was simply giving info I believe the OP was asking for. Kinda limited with not wanting to cut and being carbureted.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im really open to all options. The challenge is finding a carb motor and fitting it

A lot of these domestic V6s you are mentioning would probably get whooped by a comparable car with an L18 in it. So...

I don't have something like a VG sitting around to see how much wider that engine is.

It is surprisingly compact. Fits decent in a 1200...

382.gif

Anyone ever take a Chevy S10 3.4L and put in a Datsun 1200 and make it fit without cutting the firewall?

Also, no.   :rofl:

If your car came with a manual transmission, you will NOT fit any transmission that works with those engines without cutting and rebuilding the tunnel at the very least.

If you're car started as an auto, you might be able to fit a medium-sized transmission like a KA or VG with minimal massaging. Anything bigger will again need cutting. Lots of cutting. 

• Like 1

A lot of these domestic V6s you are mentioning would probably get whooped by a comparable car with an L18 in it. So...

It is surprisingly compact. Fits decent in a 1200...

382.gif

This would be so bad ass with three R1 carbs per side with long tube cross ram runners. I think someone cut down an L28 matchbox for ignition. Drool.

• Like 2

I think someone cut down an L28 matchbox for ignition. Drool.

I've heard this wives tale before. It won't work. Trust me, I tried multiple distributors on mine and none could be modified to work well. 

In the end, just bought this. It's spendy, but dead simple...

http://performancedistributors.com/product/nissan-vg30-dui-distributor/

50820RD.jpg

I think a trans tunnel is not as hard to modify as a giant cutout in the B110 firewall no?

Why? Both are cutting out old metal and welding in new metal.  ^_^

And as he said, you shouldn't be cutting the actual firewall for a V6 swap.

That's just an old chev V6 HEI distributor.

Actually, it's a brand new Chevy HEI distributor.   :P

Except the bottom is machined to fit a VG30E instead of the Chevy. If you wanted to make a customer distributor for a specific application, wouldn't you use an off-the-shelf cap and rotor to do it? 

GM is still using and making them????? Or this is a rebuilt or Chinese knock off?

I'm not sure what it is that you're not getting...   ^_^

Davis Unified Ignition designed a whole new distributor specifically for the VG30E that uses GM components for all wear items so it's easy to service down the road. Not Chinese, not knockoff, not rebuilt, and not really GM. It just uses a GM spec cap, rotor, and coil.