Sign in to follow this  
zenndog

Pulling my L320 from mothballs

My L320 has been parked in LA for 5 years not running. Time has come to rectify that

76_B420_C4-9_FCA-4286-9741-_CE57_CACAD54

FD8_BEB1_B-_A9_E5-4196-_AB4_C-6_A0359685

C5_EEC436-0745-4_F6_A-_B596-0_EC44_B676_

This is kind of a test post also. Tried imgur, switched to postimage.

• Like 3

Off loading in Santa Cruz

781_D701_F-_C85_C-4_FEC-_B28_F-673_DFD0_

I brought a bunch of stuff along with the truck, here is an old low rider bike

A2_EAB1_F4-_E2_DB-43_D1-9_CE8-136_AC1_FF

• Like 1

Passenger side rear brakes

The Passenger side rear brakes were sticking when I tried to push the truck onto the trailer forward.

I ended up dragging the truck up onto the car transporter with a come along.

3_A7_F2_D9_A-_E401-4_AEE-_BF5_B-6_BCBB6_

A9_C988_A2-98_C2-41_B9-8_FFA-6_FDE315_F3

356_ACE76-1_CE5-4_FC9-_B7_BC-_EE4023809_

Looks like this side was not working correctly even before the truck was parked. I fiddled around with the e-brake mechanism and if it is stuck it must be in the cable, which is entirely possible. Never assume anything right? Maybe the brake shoes are wrong. I will need to take time and compare the parts to the working side.

• Like 1

Oics

372_FFF41-_BE3_F-4467-_BE35-5_DCDB5_F022

Interior

F57_AF546-_B6_A1-4101-9848-5_ACC8_FC0_E0

Engine Compartment

52177960-_C3_F1-4_C9_C-9_F94-0501_B43_EB

So glad to have the truck here in Santa Cruz with me now and a place to work on it.

• Like 1

I can copy these photos and paste them here in 4 steps, open the link, right click on photo and copy photo, paste in the post/reply field, you seem to only be able to post links, if it doesn't give you the option to post the photo you should use a different hosting site, most  do well with Postimage.

8FCc41G.jpg

• Like 1

I'm glad you didn't forget to bring the CNC Mill along.

Might come in handy for some custom 320 parts. 

Pretty much unmolested 64 320; A real time machine.

Welcome 320 project here.

• Like 1

This is a return project. I posted the brake redo here way back in 2007........time flies

• Like 1

Very clean little truck for sure!! Any engine plans?

• Like 1

engine plans are to try to get it running again with the motor in it.

I have an old E1 and extra 320 transmission or a pullout J13 that I bought from a ratsun guy way back when he was swapping his 520 to one of those turbo death motors☠️. I wish I could remember his name, he lived near Sacramento.

CB2_A9_E8_D-_E69_D-4_C5_A-865_E-58993463

• Like 1

I am going to take off the (4spd??) transmission from the J13 if anyone is interested

• Like 1

Seems like the e brake cable is shot. I am not sure if that is why the passenger side rear brakes are acting funny but it is a little side pleasure to deal with now. The cable housing has rusted on both sides and cracked through.

• Like 1

The owner of this engine on Ebay is dismantling a complete floor-shift pickup and selling parts. He has a chunk of the parts on the 'Datsun 320 Owners' FaceBook page.

Heads Up !!

• Like 1

I bought these off that guy's eBay store:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-320-Original-Sun-Visors/152845034501?hash=item2396462405:g:iPMAAOSwg8taRUqE

Are they stock 320? The contour of the chrome mounts fit the contour of where they attach on my 320 above the windshield but the existing hole pattern above my windshield is different .

• Like 1

The owner of this engine on Ebay is dismantling a complete floor-shift pickup and selling parts. He has a chunk of the parts on the 'Datsun 320 Owners' FaceBook page.

Heads Up !!

I just messaged him and asked if he has the e-brake cable

• Like 1

There are so many cables, which one do you need?

The rear cables are the same as the 520/521 cables except they don't have zerk/grease fittings where the cable goes into the sleeve at the frame mount.

• Like 1

I will take a picture later on, it is the cable that runs from on brake baking plate through a bracket that looks like a Y where the adjustment is and the cable heads toward the e-break handle, and then heads to the opposite side backing plate

• Like 1

So you need the long cable that goes from the drum to the center pull and a little ways back towards the other cable coming from the other drum.

A 521 cable will work, but they don't have zerk/grease fittings, but since neither are available anymore either you need to have one made and then you can use your zerk/grease fittings, or you can buy a used 521 cable assembly from someone.

What is wrong with yours?

• Like 1

The cable housing has rusted through in two spots near each wheel. I will need to take it off because I am assuming it is one piece. I think my grease fittings are gone so maybe it was already swapped

• Like 1