521 Drum Brakes Front and Rear!

Roge

I was wondering if the front and rear drums on the 521 are the same because I need to get new ones but I want good reputable ones like Raybestos but on rockauto they only have them for the rears and not the fronts. If you guys know of any other brands that are as good or better please let me know and if there are other websites I can get them from.

Thanks!!!

• Like 1
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Centric brake/clutch masters, never had a bad one yet, but their wheel cylinders don't appear to all be the same even though they are in a box with the same part number, so now i always open them and look at them in front of the parts guy at the counter, if they are not like my sample or both the same I send him back to look for another one.

I will not buy anything other than Centric anymore on brake masters, all the other brands do not work out of the box, I bought one that was put together wrong, took it back and they were not happy at that parts store.

• Like 2

I used Centric brake/clutch masters, never had a bad one yet, but their wheel cylinders don't appear to all be the same even though they are in a box with the same part number, so now i always open them and look at them in front of the parts guy at the counter, if they are not like my sample or both the same I send him back to look for another one.

I will not buy anything other than Centric anymore on brake masters, all the other brands do not work out of the box, I bought one that was put together wrong, took it back and they were not happy at that parts store.

^ That. I work as a tech...if I'm buying aftermarket brake parts, it's centric. Nothing out there short of factory is any good. This goes for clutch master/slaves, brake masters, calipers, wheel cylinders. I even like their brake pad kits too.

Companies like raybestos bank on old timers still having trust in their products. They used to be good. They are all cheap Chinese crap with a crap-roll whether you got a good one or not.

You really want to take that kind of risk with brake parts?

Not me. Not for my cars. Not for my customers either.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Yep, read that somewhere awhile back. Maybe slugs are made in China and boxed here. Who knows. Manufacturers are finding sneaky ways to advertised, "made in USA". But then again who knows back in the 70s nobody wanted "made in Japan" stuff and now they surpassed USA brands, specially cars.

• Like 1

Isnt Centric made in China also?

I bought some spares but haven't used them yet

Centric is made in Taiwan, and it is new, not rebuilt, and they don't have core exchanges/charges as they don't rebuild them.

I have had issues with their wheel cylinders having the same part number but not being the same part, specifically a different bore size, other than that I have not had any issues with there products.

That said I have always been able to find what I need in the Centric brand for my Datsun 521 trucks, they have stock type clutch and brake masters that work after installed, they also have had wheel cylinders for my dually axles, but them parts are the ones I had issues with bore size, I had to go back and trade for others till I found two with the same bore size, they worked fine, in the end though it was not the wheel cylinders that were my issue, it was the brake master that was going bad, don't know the brake master brand that was in the truck at that time, it likely came from Baxters.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...