First Datsun

81-720

Just bought a little Datsun. It was already taken apart, for a timing chain, which was left unfinished. I intend on having it back together and running by this weekend (hopefully). It's otherwise pretty much untouched. No hacked up wiring, vacuum lines, or any other rigged up work done to it. Not pretty, but not chopped up, either lol. Anyways, thoughts or ideas? 

https://i.imgur.com/A0DLu5h.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/YFRMIBh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/slxvX8a.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/bV8GpCw.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/OYpSsyo.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doing this on my phone, though. Is there a better way than Imgur? And, more importantly, the truck rofl.... Picked it up for a song. Trying to decide what to do with it when I get it back together. It's ugly, but no hacked up wiring or any other rigged up garbage. Thing is practically untouched and was running fine about a year ago before it was taken apart. Already has quite a few new parts on it. Think I should sell it, drive it, build it....? What would I be able to reasonably ask for it in good running condition?

Well right now it's worth what you paid for it. If running you could see if it needs anything....

Steering, does it steer properly or need some new parts? alignment?

suspension, does it handle ok?

electrical, Do all the lights and accessories work? Does the alternator charge? Got battery?

engine. does it start and run, restart when warm, no noises, no smoke, does it overheat?

drive train. transmission, clutch, driveshaft, differential, axles. do they work, shift gears, are they quiet, do they vibrate?

Doing this on my phone, though. Is there a better way than Imgur? And, more importantly, the truck rofl.... Picked it up for a song. Trying to decide what to do with it when I get it back together. It's ugly, but no hacked up wiring or any other rigged up garbage. Thing is practically untouched and was running fine about a year ago before it was taken apart. Already has quite a few new parts on it. Think I should sell it, drive it, build it....? What would I be able to reasonably ask for it in good running condition?

Welcome to the fun...

If you use your phone for all this try postimage.org... I had issues trying to get imgur and flicker to work right from my phone....

Once you have I pic loaded to postimage they have a hot link for forum button use that to copy and paste the photo here..

that tensioner look out almost too much. You need to put a new one on and adjust the slack side chain guide.

I have a YOU tube vid on a L motors which is close to the same look up Hainz Datsun L series should come up

Definately put a new tensioner in maybe even a new timing set if you have the money. looks like you have a big groove worn into the face on that tensioner....

• Like 1

Picking up the timing set ( cam/crank sprockets, both guides, chain, and tensioner), timing cover gasket (comes with the water pump, oil pump, and thermostat gaskets he said), front main seal, oil/coolant, filter, and battery in the morning. Valve cover gasket comes in on Monday morning. Should cover the current issue. One of the reasons he said he started this little project is the starter was turning over slow, even though it was brand new. May run fresh wire and connections next

Well this is odd. All L series have a chain oiler jet located just above the crank sprocket between the chain loop and just to the left of the tensioner. It's a hollow dowel that sticks out with a hole in it to dribble oil on the timing chain. The Z20 and the Z24 have it but for some reason I can't find it on the Z22. Maybe they tried to run without them and then went back  to it on the later Z24.

Have a look just to the left of the tensioner.

You can see it just below the blue chain wedge in the picture below. No oil jet would explain the dry chain and worn shoe.

V4gFyD8.jpg

Datzenmike you always amaze me at the things you see and know.....

So 81-720... so if this a 81 does it have the z22 in it?

Datzenmike if what you say is true and the z22 didn't have an oiler do you think he could pull that plug and install one?

Lastly 81-720.... I pulled some things like that out of my L block. I drilled and tapped a hole in the plug, screwed in a bolt and pulled with a slide hammer.... I'm pretty sure it's pressed in not threaded.....

20171228_171116.jpg

Looks like a plug almost... No easy way to remove it, though. Could drill a pilot and try to pull it, but not sure if I have an easy-out that small. Hate those tiny ones. Break so easily lol

Hard to tell, but if a plug it can be pulled and an oiler banged in.

13081-21000 is the part number for the oil jet

ID for engine. Look below the #2 and #3 spark lugs jues just below the head gasket. The top of the block has a raised flat boss with the engine size stamped on it. You may need wire brush.

Q9xYbRS.jpg

I'll check it tomorrow when I have some daylight. As far as the oiler, I'm going to have to do some research. Logic would dictate there must be some pre-existing method to keep the chain oiled that clogged or something. 161k miles without any lubrication to that chain would surely have ended in catastrophe multiple times by now. I would imagine that worn guide and over extended tensioner are due to a relatively recent lack of.... Thoughts?