510 racecar to daily

Hrvat9

Yes, the studs are normally pressed into the stub axle. Yes, the bracket is some custom thing. 

Since you have it all apart it's easy to put new bearings in, might as well.

• Like 1
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! I got brackets from the engineering Datsun website and got myself new maxima calipers and 200sx rotors (still to arrive from rock auto)

So I have to cut off that custom bracket on both sides ..sheesh I wonder what caliper they used with that rotor

Yes, the studs are normally pressed into the stub axle. Yes, the bracket is some custom thing.

Since you have it all apart it's easy to put new bearings in, might as well.

I’m buying the bearings off rock auto and just to be sure

I need

X2 rear outer bearing

X2 rear inner bearing

x4 rear wheel seals

And I’m re-using the shim or whatever the cylinder thing is in between the bearings correct?

Got all my parts for the rear disc conversion :) I just need to get some new wheel studs

EB86_F376-8140-4_E91-_BB25-_E15816_DE2_Ahow to capture screen

• Like 1

Close, but there are only two seals needed. The bearings are sealed so there is no need or provision for an outer seal. The inner one runs on the companion flange.

So just to be clear. 2 outer bearings, 2 inner bearings, 2 inner seals and new nuts. Make sure you get sealed bearings. The original ones were open, and you had to pack grease in there. Not necessary with sealed bearings, but put grease in the middle anyway to keep it from filling full of rust. 

BTW, no need to "press" in new bearings. These are a snug fit, but are usually removable/ replaceable with a long punch.

I was going to post a couple of pictures, but can't find any. :(

The factory service manual has diagrams and has good descriptions.

Thanks! Got the bearings and seals ordered but I couldn’t find the nuts. Does Rock auto sell the new nuts?

EDIT : nvm found them !

C3_A69692-_B6_AF-44_C1-8_F9_E-_DFC0_DF5_

Close, but there are only two seals needed. The bearings are sealed so there is no need or provision for an outer seal. The inner one runs on the companion flange.

So just to be clear. 2 outer bearings, 2 inner bearings, 2 inner seals and new nuts. Make sure you get sealed bearings. The original ones were open, and you had to pack grease in there. Not necessary with sealed bearings, but put grease in the middle anyway to keep it from filling full of rust.

BTW, no need to "press" in new bearings. These are a snug fit, but are usually removable/ replaceable with a long punch.

I was going to post a couple of pictures, but can't find any. :(

The factory service manual has diagrams and has good descriptions.

Thanks for all the help! :)

Next question. My 510 is missing the roof brace inside the car. Is the wagon roof brace the same? I have access to a wagon

You should be able to get them at any Nissan dealer. Should be less than that.

Nissan Part #, 43262-21000 (or 43262-21050).

• Like 1

You got me there... I have no idea. Logic would dictate that it should be similar to the 4dr. You should be able to make it work. 

Drill out all of the spot welds and it should in theory weld right in. Make sure to use a urethane sealant on the seams to keep it from rattling. Sikaflex or windshield urethane works well.

Ok awesome, that’s what I was thinking. Im going on Tuesday to pick it up then :D

You got me there... I have no idea. Logic would dictate that it should be similar to the 4dr. You should be able to make it work.

Drill out all of the spot welds and it should in theory weld right in. Make sure to use a urethane sealant on the seams to keep it from rattling. Sikaflex or windshield urethane works well.

Those look like they've been on and off more than a few times. How hard did the nuts come off? They're supposed to torqued to over 200 ft lbs. Did you remove the peening before taking them off? BTW, there shouldn't be any threads showing with the nuts tight.

You know, they almost look like someone took a torch to the nut and cut into the threads. They are supposed to have notches near the end to peen the nut though.You could always get a die and clean up the threads if you can't find any. 20mmx1.5 pitch. https://www.amazon.com/20mm-1-5-Metric-Hex-Rethreading/dp/B0007CNJ2W

Also IIRC 240Z axles are the same so there's that, but don't quote me. OK, just looked it up 240Z rear stub axles are the same. 

Man, I used to know this stuff off the top of my head, but getting old now and things get foggy.

• Like 2

They were already at the end of the threads when I got the car unfortunately. That’s good to know though that 240z stub axles are the same!

I just picked up one from a guy locally so he saved my butt, gave it to me for free too:) I noticed on the one he gave me that it has the dust cover and the ones that I hVe don’t though

34_C68372-_DA40-4_D29-_A452-24_EC9_F21_B

Those look like they've been on and off more than a few times. How hard did the nuts come off? They're supposed to torqued to over 200 ft lbs. Did you remove the peening before taking them off? BTW, there shouldn't be any threads showing with the nuts tight.

You know, they almost look like someone took a torch to the nut and cut into the threads. They are supposed to have notches near the end to peen the nut though.You could always get a die and clean up the threads if you can't find any. 20mmx1.5 pitch. https://www.amazon.com/20mm-1-5-Metric-Hex-Rethreading/dp/B0007CNJ2W

Also IIRC 240Z axles are the same so there's that, but don't quote me. OK, just looked it up 240Z rear stub axles are the same.

Man, I used to know this stuff off the top of my head, but getting old now and things get foggy.

• Like 1

I did something

Cut off the bracket that was welded on

581208_F2-96_A3-4_E62-_AF6_F-2_F529_CBD3

79_E2_FB83-9_C6_A-4115-8683-9_D9455_DB3_

I wrestled the farthest nut and bolt for a good 2 hours before it came out. Rust would not let the bolt slide out at all! Got tired after yanking this control arm out so I mounted stuff to see what it would look like

9435875_E-_CD17-41_B2-_B1_CF-1597_F906_B

Going to proceed to strip arm and primer /paint it black , press in new bearings and paint stub axles while I wait for wheel studs to come in

• Like 1

Ugh. I got everything off the second control arm But the closest bolt to the body. The bolt is seized in the bushing collar. Heat didn’t do anything but melt out the bushing. I’m Going to try and use a sawsall on the collar and cut on both sides of the control arm

So I just noticed I got two bearings that fit and two bearings that are too big. Also the dust seal is too small:/. Did I order the right shit ?

Edit : just noticed I bought wagon dust seals lol

The red beck/arnley fit

BA02809_B-_A332-4_C5_F-_A765-_EF844265_C

But the ones circled are too big

E26_F645_C-9_F57-472_E-_AC87-_C96_A0_A1_

Well i know the problem exists with a 521 front inner wheel bearing.... they will sell you one through every website and parts store that are wrong.....

My recommendation is clean up the old bearing and look for some numbers on it.... that's how I was able to get the correct one for the front of my truck....

I can only assume that is similar to what your dealing with..

I bet if you check the bearing that fits, it will fit on the other side too. If I recall correctly The Datsun 510 uses the same bearing for inner and outer. The Z and 200SX and early Maxima use a bigger and smaller bearing. 

I've had this issue before, but of course it's been many years since I've done one as they tend to last for 30-40 years. I feel bad that I didn't remember this and let you know.

Brock